Overclock.net banner

3321 - 3328 of 3328 Posts

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
I get the sales and marketing aspect of it, but I have to say, that's actually not true. I'm not sure if I misunderstood you or if you misunderstood me, but the fact is that the Redux line of fans DON'T have the same specs as the standard and Chromax lines have. They are a reduced spec series although I do understand that they have a lower price, it's like having a four cylinder corvette.
They don't have the same specs because they are different fans. The redux fans used to be their Premium line. I bought what is now in grey when they were in beige and brown.

I bought those Premium fans before I was a reviewer. Noctua sent me pairs of their redux line to review. Because I threw nothing away, I was able to hold the old Premium and new redux fans in my hands to compare them. They were identical, except that the corners were changed to accommodate Chromax corners. I reviewed the NF-P12 on June 27, 2018, at the other Overclockers (I'd send you the link, but we are not allowed to do that). The fifth image shows the Premium P12 and the redux P12 together. Same fan. They differ from the NF A12x25, (the review was published June 20, 2018, at the same site).

·
Cooling enthusiast
79 Posts
Yeah, I knew they were different, but I guess it escaped me that those used to be the premium lineup before the A14, A14, F12, etc. Makes sense though. Thanks for the insight. I need to get over here more because there is a different TYPE of user and member here, more like peers for me, than dealing with the masses of knuckleheads (Not all, but most everybody at TH that isn't is either already a mod or has turned it down) at TH every day.

Can actually have some conversations here with somebody that is more informed on some things than I am. Well, than I SOMETIMES am. LOL.

·
Premium Member
27,411 Posts

·
Cooling enthusiast
79 Posts
Yeah, I knew who it was and where they were from simply by the username. Thanks for that though doyll. We have similar rules we have enforce over at TH regarding self promotion, although you'd think that there would be a little bit of flexibility in that when it comes to the professionals, especially when they've previously been staff or freelance for the site in question. I think sometimes that corporate and community bean counters take this stuff a bit too far. I understand the need for some level of policing the self promotion of locations outside the forum in question, but sometimes it requires a common sense approach as well and let's face it, in terms of SEO, Google gives you PROPS for outside links, both inbound and outbound, to other sites that are focused on similar topic areas so long as they don't contain a lot of duplicate content of the other site. Obviously, that's to avoid creating mirrored sites and using each of them to provide inbound and outbound links to the other. Anyhow, way off topic now so I'll stop. I don't want to feed the fire.

·
Premium Member
27,411 Posts
I understand the problem. I test and review products myself, but it's just me with no website. I kept it that way so I can post whatever I've done on whatever computer forum I want to.

·
Matcha Soda
1,216 Posts
Currently my setup consists of 5 fans, as follows:

Intake: 2x 120mm Coolermaster MasterFan 120 Air Pressure
I went with these because my hdd cage is not removable, so I thought I might as well take something with very high pressure ratings. I currently keep them at 800~1800 (depending on cpu load)

Exhaust Side Panel: 1x 140mm Generic 24V DC fan (runs at 1k rpm max on 12v) I got this on a whim from AliExpress because I just absolutely wanted 140mm fans, it annoyed me to put 120mm fans in 140mm slots because it felt like it wasn't being used 100% (OCD?)

Top Exhaust: 1x 140mm Generic 24V DC fan (same as above)

Exhaust Rear: 1x 140m YateLoon D14BH-12 (800~2800rpm)
I pulled this off from my Corsair TX850V2 PSU. Its only 2pin, but I can still rpm control it in dc mode.

I currently have an NH-U14S in push pull config, only of them is chromax. Will probably get another Chromax, and the NH-U14S covers which may come later.

I was wondering if I should replace the rear with a Noctua NH-A14 iPPC 3k rpm fan. The YateLoon doesn't make much noise at the %s I use it (25~75). I imagine it spins 700~2240rpm. The generic 24v fans are surprisingly quiet. Intake fans kinda get noisy at 1800rpm+

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Currently my setup consists of 5 fans, as follows:

Intake: 2x 120mm Coolermaster MasterFan 120 Air Pressure
I went with these because my hdd cage is not removable, so I thought I might as well take something with very high pressure ratings. I currently keep them at 800~1800 (depending on cpu load)

Exhaust Side Panel: 1x 140mm Generic 24V DC fan (runs at 1k rpm max on 12v) I got this on a whim from AliExpress because I just absolutely wanted 140mm fans, it annoyed me to put 120mm fans in 140mm slots because it felt like it wasn't being used 100% (OCD?)

Top Exhaust: 1x 140mm Generic 24V DC fan (same as above)

Exhaust Rear: 1x 140m YateLoon D14BH-12 (800~2800rpm)
I pulled this off from my Corsair TX850V2 PSU. Its only 2pin, but I can still rpm control it in dc mode.

I currently have an NH-U14S in push pull config, only of them is chromax. Will probably get another Chromax, and the NH-U14S covers which may come later.

I was wondering if I should replace the rear with a Noctua NH-A14 iPPC 3k rpm fan. The YateLoon doesn't make much noise at the %s I use it (25~75). I imagine it spins 700~2240rpm. The generic 24v fans are surprisingly quiet. Intake fans kinda get noisy at 1800rpm+
Noise sensitive. For the best exhaust with the lowest noise: cut out your rear "grill." Then leave the inside air to exhaust itself with no impediments and no additional exhaust fan. Why do I say "additional?" Because the pull fan on your NH-U14S will exhaust your case. Don't believe it? Look at item 2 in my sig.

In my current rig I run two NF-A14 ULN fans in front for intake. My systems monitor tells me they run about 750 rpm. The Armageddon heatsink sports two NF-A15 PWMs. That's it. Very quiet. No exhaust fan to add its noise.

3321 - 3328 of 3328 Posts