Overclock.net banner

4581 - 4600 of 4634 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Does under clocking and under volting make more efficient way of folding?
I am not sure if completed work units vs kilowatts hour used is better for the electric bill.

I know it is about getting the max output for some but A/C plus folding is a nogo for me
Not sure about an actual efficiency curve for PPD vs power consumption, but from what I remember I was able to undervolt my R9 Furys back when I did 24/7 folding on those without a really large PPD drop and dropped temps by quite a bit. I know that's the least quantitative answer I could have given though.

Also keep in mind there are some variables in there, as some projects/WUs don't push your hardware quite as much as others, so power consumption would be affected. At the end of the day though, I say if undervolting allows you to make the power bill hit acceptable, any folding contribution helps.

·
Long Time Lurker
40 Posts
Great to see another full time folder on OCN! To fold for the team, just hit the configure button in your client and enter the team ID 37726, and your points will be logged with us.

Are you folding on both your CPU and GPU? 2.6M points over 8 days is pretty low for your setup, so I imagine that's because your new passkey spent a few days building up its first 10 WUs and has recently started to provide full points output. What's your current PPD?

OCN runs monthly folding events that run for 48 hours you can register for with some prizes to encourage more folks to get folding. Unfortunately July's just ended a few hours ago, but if you're interested I can get you added to the notification list for when next month's thread goes up.

Additionally, you can get badges that go under your signature for folding point milestones you hit. You're going to blast through the first few pretty quickly, but you can request them here:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/55-overclock-net-folding-home-team/1457902-how-request-your-folding-milestone-badge-s.html

Since you mentioned you have interest in the results of folding projects, here's where [email protected] lists the outcomes of some of their research:
https://foldingathome.org/papers-results/

Again, glad to have you on the team!
I have been running it at medium. As soon as I joined the team, I tuned it to full. My Medium PPD was showing just over 16K. I'll wait til it runs a few WU's and give you an updated number then.
Thanks for the welcome. Edit: OK, looked again. Running 11 threads on my CPU at full, instead of 10 (12 threads available total...6 core Ryzen) and 10 NAVI on my GPU, Current PPD shows me currently running about 127K. From Start to date, running medium, it shows a completion of 260 WUs. Now that am running at full, it should improve.
Edit v2: OK...now it is showing the GPU at over 400K a day, and the CPU is still chewing on the same WU it was when I switched to full, so it will update once it kicks out this one and starts a new WU. I imagine I'll be running at LEAST half a million per day from that point.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
I have been running it at medium. As soon as I joined the team, I tuned it to full. My Medium PPD was showing just over 16K. I'll wait til it runs a few WU's and give you an updated number then.
Thanks for the welcome. Edit: OK, looked again. Running 11 threads on my CPU at full, instead of 10 (12 threads available total...6 core Ryzen) and 10 NAVI on my GPU, Current PPD shows me currently running about 127K. From Start to date, running medium, it shows a completion of 260 WUs. Now that am running at full, it should improve.
Edit v2: OK...now it is showing the GPU at over 400K a day, and the CPU is still chewing on the same WU it was when I switched to full, so it will update once it kicks out this one and starts a new WU. I imagine I'll be running at LEAST half a million per day from that point.
Interesting, I would hope that after a very short while you get up to at least 800-900K PPD on the 5700XT alone. The link below is a great reference guide for what outputs you should generally be getting on a wide variety of GPUs. It's just a ballpark value though (+-100 or 150K PPD) at the worst usually, since might not be a decent sample size and there are a lot of variables at play such as overclock, OS, the exact WU, etc.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/55-overclock-net-folding-home-team/475163-gpu-projects-ppd-database.html

·
Typo Elemental
3,222 Posts
Does under clocking and under volting make more efficient way of folding?
I am not sure if completed work units vs kilowatts hour used is better for the electric bill.

I know it is about getting the max output for some but A/C plus folding is a nogo for me
Generally speaking the frequency of your GPU is more important the voltage required for folding. If you can maintain stock frequency and GPU stability with the undervolt, that should lower your temps for sure.

I had an undervolt/overclock on and CPU and I did see PPD improvement due to the frequency increase.

·
Long Time Lurker
40 Posts
Interesting, I would hope that after a very short while you get up to at least 800-900K PPD on the 5700XT alone. The link below is a great reference guide for what outputs you should generally be getting on a wide variety of GPUs. It's just a ballpark value though (+-100 or 150K PPD) at the worst usually, since might not be a decent sample size and there are a lot of variables at play such as overclock, OS, the exact WU, etc.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/55-overclock-net-folding-home-team/475163-gpu-projects-ppd-database.html
Here's what I have to show:
Keep in Mind, no OC being done at this time, either on the CPU or GPU.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts

·
Long Time Lurker
40 Posts
OK...newest info, running well over 1mil per day now. Yes, While checking another source, I found out the passkey would improve folding speeds, and so the current numbers relate to since I installed the passkey. BTW, that installation cause me to reset my numbers to OCN team stats as well.

Attachments

• Rep+
Reactions: Cerberus

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
OK...newest info, running well over 1mil per day now. Yes, While checking another source, I found out the passkey would improve folding speeds, and so the current numbers relate to since I installed the passkey. BTW, that installation cause me to reset my numbers to OCN team stats as well.
that's more like it, looking good!

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Very nice. Another quick setup thing you can do is use the advanced viewer which gives you more useful/detailed info than the browser viewer, especially when diagnosing issues, then go to configure, then slots, then for each one add a slot option with the name as "pause-on-start" and the value as "true".

A lot of people, including myself, prefer this option since downloading and pausing a WU hurts your PPD as opposed to just downloading it when you're ready to run it.

·
Long Time Lurker
40 Posts
Very nice. Another quick setup thing you can do is use the advanced viewer which gives you more useful/detailed info than the browser viewer, especially when diagnosing issues, then go to configure, then slots, then for each one add a slot option with the name as "pause-on-start" and the value as "true".

A lot of people, including myself, prefer this option since downloading and pausing a WU hurts your PPD as opposed to just downloading it when you're ready to run it.
OK, so I added the pause-on-start option to each slot (cpu and gpu), we'll see how things go. ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have the 3970X and Fiji Pro Duo running atm. Currently on Medium fluctuating between 1.15m PPD and 1.5m PPD.

Need to get the new rig sorted. Either keep the 3970X or upgrade to the 3990X and will be moving away from the Fiji Pro Duo to a triple 2080Ti setup

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Have the 3970X and Fiji Pro Duo running atm. Currently on Medium fluctuating between 1.15m PPD and 1.5m PPD.

Need to get the new rig sorted. Either keep the 3970X or upgrade to the 3990X and will be moving away from the Fiji Pro Duo to a triple 2080Ti setup
Interesting, what do you use the Pro Duo for? Not sure if I've ever encountered anyone with one.

The triple 2080 Tis will be monstrous.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Interesting, what do you use the Pro Duo for? Not sure if I've ever encountered anyone with one.

The triple 2080 Tis will be monstrous.

Had one loaned to me for use in a HWBOT competition last year.

Triple 2080Ti has gone to the way side in favor of quad 1080TI. Can pick up the GPUs for a song, so made more sense especially with new 3080Ti on the horizon.

·
Registered
142 Posts
GPUs back up in the air atm, awaiting reveal of 3080Ti performance.

Got the new EKWB block installed on the 1080TI strix and have moved up from roughly 750K PPD with the 780Ti I was using, to 2.5M PPD

·
Rig Advisor
2,232 Posts
I hear you on that. Though there will most likely be a big folding boost, I won't be buying any 3080Ti's when they release. I'll let all the kinks work themselves out first. Also, did buy 3x2080Ti's last year.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah I've been debating between used 2080Tis(can fit four if I go single slot waterblocks) and the new 3080Tis. Even considered Titan RTXs at one point. I'm figuring if I can average somewhere between 18M PPD and 25M PPD I'd be happy.

·
Long Time Lurker
40 Posts
Newest Update: Zoomed past 10 M and already 20 Mil. :) Still maintaining a decent pace...some days over 1 Mil per, other days, slightly lower.

·
Fold on!
6,815 Posts
I hear you on that. Though there will most likely be a big folding boost, I won't be buying any 3080Ti's when they release. I'll let all the kinks work themselves out first. Also, did buy 3x2080Ti's last year.
That's exactly what I'm doing.
I bought a 3950x setup today, with a 1660ti.
Should be fun to work with for now, low tdp and not too expensive.
Once the 3080ti comes out I'll wait for all the reviews and testing and after that I might get one of those and either sell the 1660 or keep it folding.

·
Water-cooler
1,681 Posts

·
Fold on!
6,815 Posts
4581 - 4600 of 4634 Posts