Overclock.net banner

4601 - 4620 of 4634 Posts

·
I <3 narcissists
6,336 Posts
I have bad luck with folding on the RVII (lots of freezes etc.) and it is loud once the fans kick in so I am wanting to replace it with something inexpensive from Nvidia.

Any card with 2x display port would be fine for the machines use (2D CAD), but I don't know which would be the better value for folding. I was looking at the 16XX variations and I can get a 2060 for $300. All of them will do more PPD than my RVII because I can't work and fold at the same time with the RVII (crashes too often).

Is there enough of a point difference between a 1650/1660/1660ti/2060 to justify the increased cost for a machine that otherwise doesn't need the added horsepower?

Also, can anyone suggest a starting point (website, forum post etc.) for learning how to setup a linux based folding machine. I want to cobble together left over parts (4790k or 2700x, GTX 1070, GTX 1080ti and maybe the Radeon VII) to make a dedicated folding rig but I don't want to waste a windows license on it. I don't plan to use it for anything else and will probably need to access it remotely.

·
Fold on!
6,815 Posts
Any card with 2x display port would be fine for the machines use (2D CAD), but I don't know which would be the better value for folding. I was looking at the 16XX variations and I can get a 2060 for $300. All of them will do more PPD than my RVII because I can't work and fold at the same time with the RVII (crashes too often).

Is there enough of a point difference between a 1650/1660/1660ti/2060 to justify the increased cost for a machine that otherwise doesn't need the added horsepower?
I'm folding on an MSI 1660ti gaming x at ~2000mhz (it has 3 displayports), and I see between 900k and 1m ppd on 13422 units.
It has only been running for 28 hours, so I haven't seen any other projects.
This card has 130w tdp vs 160w for a normal 2060, not sure how much difference there is between lower and higher clocked versions.

If you want some more ppd stats you can look at this database:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vcVoSVtamcoGj5sFfvKF_XlvuviWWveJIg_iZ8U2bf0/pub?output=html

Most of the time I see cards performing a little better than the results in the PPD Database, but that really depends on the units.
There have been times my 2080ti did "only" 1.7m ppd on some "bad" work units.

·
Rig Advisor
2,232 Posts
I'm folding on an MSI 1660ti gaming x at ~2000mhz (it has 3 displayports), and I see between 900k and 1m ppd on 13422 units.
It has only been running for 28 hours, so I haven't seen any other projects.
This card has 130w tdp vs 160w for a normal 2060, not sure how much difference there is between lower and higher clocked versions.

If you want some more ppd stats you can look at this database:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vcVoSVtamcoGj5sFfvKF_XlvuviWWveJIg_iZ8U2bf0/pub?output=html

Most of the time I see cards performing a little better than the results in the PPD Database, but that really depends on the units.
There have been times my 2080ti did "only" 1.7m ppd on some "bad" work units.
Seems about inline with the Gigabyte 1660 Ti I just got. Did not hit 2k clock, but just shy at 1950. Anywhere between 800-950k PPD. My son is using it for home schooling, but when she folds, HFM is tracking it.

·
Fold on!
6,815 Posts
Seems about inline with the Gigabyte 1660 Ti I just got. Did not hit 2k clock, but just shy at 1950. Anywhere between 800-950k PPD. My son is using it for home schooling, but when she folds, HFM is tracking it.
I'm working on the overclock now, looking good at 2070mhz core and 6500mhz (or 13000 or 1625) on the memory.
It'll fold overnight to get some results, and with the windows open the whole fleet of computers is really cold right now :D

Also, something weird is going on with the gpu ppd database. Some cards are missing and the results are low :thinking:

·
Rig Advisor
2,232 Posts
I'm working on the overclock now, looking good at 2070mhz core and 6500mhz (or 13000 or 1625) on the memory.
It'll fold overnight to get some results, and with the windows open the whole fleet of computers is really cold right now :D

Also, something weird is going on with the gpu ppd database. Some cards are missing and the results are low :thinking:
I would PM Simmons or CptAsian.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I fold with a GTX 690. It does not make a lot of points.
I also slow it from 900 Mhz to 800 Mhz when it is folding. It does run better and longer( as in it does not stop) that way when folding.
Most of the time it only has one GPU active, except when folding
I will start folding again in October.

The olde lady likes the room to be warmer in the winter anyway. It adds just the right amount of heat for her.

That makes my ears feel better.

It will that ole thing about 25 more years to finally log a billion, It it was running 24 7 all year.
The olde lady won't log anything

I would replace it, but she wants a new car.

Her car is 4 years old and it is out of style. Funny how it was cute and just right.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts

·
Fold on!
6,815 Posts
I fold with a GTX 690. It does not make a lot of points.
I also slow it from 900 Mhz to 800 Mhz when it is folding. It does run better and longer( as in it does not stop) that way when folding.
Most of the time it only has one GPU active, except when folding
I will start folding again in October.

The olde lady likes the room to be warmer in the winter anyway. It adds just the right amount of heat for her.

That makes my ears feel better.

It will that ole thing about 25 more years to finally log a billion, It it was running 24 7 all year.
The olde lady won't log anything

I would replace it, but she wants a new car.

Her car is 4 years old and it is out of style. Funny how it was cute and just right.
That card is too cool to be out of style, sucks that it uses ~300w (for about 250kppd I guess)
For half the power draw you could see between 1 and 1.5mil ppd.
It's a nice way to heat the room, that's for sure :D

I would PM Simmons or CptAsian.
This morning it was back to normal, but now it's acting up again.
I've seen the same thing with the FaT stats, going back to previous "versions" and an hour later everything was back.

·
Typo Elemental
3,222 Posts
Hm interesting. Would you tell me what cards you are missing? And if you are referring to the 1660 and 1660 Super with extremely low PPD, we only have three total submissions for those cards right now, and I will remove those bad entries once we get some more data.

As an FYI, the GPU list is dynamically updated based on submissions provided by the users, so I can check the backend and compare based on what you identify.

·
Fold on!
6,815 Posts
Hm interesting. Would you tell me what cards you are missing? And if you are referring to the 1660 and 1660 Super with extremely low PPD, we only have three total submissions for those cards right now, and I will remove those bad entries once we get some more data.

As an FYI, the GPU list is dynamically updated based on submissions provided by the users, so I can check the backend and compare based on what you identify.
It was missing the 1660ti and 5700xt. I did already check them before because I was working on a few things. There was also low ppd for the 2080ti (in the 2.3mil range where it used to be 3mil) and the whole list was shorter.
I refreshed it a few times at that moment and it did not change.
Now, a few hours later, it shows everything like it should be.

The exact same thing happened with the last FaT. At about 40 hours into the competition I checked the stats and it showed only a few units were done.
Now I don't know if I'm the only one seeing it, and it is not a real problem, but it's kinda strange.

·
Typo Elemental
3,222 Posts
It was missing the 1660ti and 5700xt. I did already check them before because I was working on a few things. There was also low ppd for the 2080ti (in the 2.3mil range where it used to be 3mil) and the whole list was shorter.
I refreshed it a few times at that moment and it did not change.
Now, a few hours later, it shows everything like it should be.

The exact same thing happened with the last FaT. At about 40 hours into the competition I checked the stats and it showed only a few units were done.
Now I don't know if I'm the only one seeing it, and it is not a real problem, but it's kinda strange.
Ah understood. Okay so for some clarity on how the database works, we have a master backend database, a front end presentation page, and the publish view. The backend database exists solely because after we did our first batch upload into the original database, we noticed that the loading times for the viewable version was about 45+ Seconds.

So now, all of the raw data is on a seperate sheet, the front end replicates the data from the summary pages on the new sheet, and then publishes it so you all can view it.

The only theory I have is that the publication spreadsheet sometimes desyncs from the actual sheet. Also, with the amount of data we are processing now, I have noticed a couple wierd desync hiccups, that are resolved once I log into the backend..

I am not sure if this is exactly the cause of what you witnessed, but it appears to be working just fine now.

·
Fold on!
6,815 Posts
I have the link from the GPU Database OP bookmarked, I guess that's what you refer to as the "front end presentation page".
A desync could be it, that it desyncs and shows an old version of the datasheet.
One other thing I didn't mention before was that there were way less submissions shown than in the "up to date" sheet.
And you are right, at this moment the datasheet is showing the correct data!
If I see it again I'll write down the date and time and take a few screenshots if you need it.
But like I said, it's not a big deal, only a bit weird. I took a screenshot from the up to date sheet so if it's not working again I can check that for data :)

·
Rig Advisor
2,232 Posts
Having issues with the HFM client on my main rig. For whatever reason after updating it, it will not track. When I add a client, it sees both GPUs, but fails to track them. Is anyone else having issues?

·
Fold on!
6,815 Posts
Having issues with the HFM client on my main rig. For whatever reason after updating it, it will not track. When I add a client, it sees both GPUs, but fails to track them. Is anyone else having issues?
I sort of had something like that after reinstalling HFM.net, 0% but you could see every slot. After a reboot and reloading the client configuration manually on every system it was working like it should.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts

·
Fold on!
6,815 Posts
Thanks for the reminder CptAsian :)

I noticed that I was missing a lot of points and units each update on EOC/Stanford.
Turns out a lot of 1343x units have gone missing.
You might want to check those from your hfm.net logs and look at the wu status tool to see if they pop up there. [email protected] WU Status
I'm missing 11 units as we speak, all of the finished 1343x units I've done so far. (and working on 4 more of them, so I won't be surprised if they end up missing too.)
Folding Forum • View topic - 140.163.4.200 for more about this.

[edit]
It's fixed, everyone who missed a few units will see a nice spike (11 units worth 3mil total on my end)

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Did something happen recently? Looks like the team and quite a few users (myself included) saw a random spike in PPD yesterday.

·
Rig Advisor
2,232 Posts
Not sure, I have been down for maintenance for 3 weeks now on my dedicated rig. Should be up soon. Looks good though.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Did some poking around on official forums and didn't see anything, but it's not a coincidence. Other big teams also saw a ~25% PPD increase yesterday as well, and it looks like everyone is continuing at the same increased rate so far today.

Also just noticed I hit 1.9B total points across all teams, closing in on some milestones here.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Ah, here's your answer.

EDIT: Hey what the heck, I went ahead and made a separate announcement thread about it.

4601 - 4620 of 4634 Posts