Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Firstly I would check to see if the CPU is soldered in, then I also check whether your motherboard/bios will accept that CPU you plan to put in. You should find info of this on the manufacturers website. You say heat is no problem, are you planning to leave it open with constant cooling? As the phenom may be a higher wattage, running at a higher clock and generate more heat. At idle this maybe ok but under a load could cause issues.

I replaced an old Sempron for a AMD Turion x2 years ago now was ok managed to get it working but the cooling wasn't sufficient even though it stayed on my desk with the back covers off and on a cooling pad too.

·
Premium Member
4,173 Posts
No can do. You're trying to put a Socket S1g4 chip into an S1g1 socket. Compatibility information on the four iterations of Socket S1 is sketchy, but no one has ever reported being able to run an S1g4 chip on anything but S1g4. The S1g1 can take a faster S1g1 chip and some people have had success running S1g2 processors in them, but that's all.

If the motherboard can handle a higher TDP chip without frying its VRM's, the best chip that would be guaranteed to run would be a Turion 64 X2 TL-68, a 2.4 GHz version of the chip you have now. By today's standards, that's still a slug, though. It's about as fast as a 2 GHz Merom C2D, which is good enough to browse the Internet but not a lot more.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebellion88 View Post

Firstly I would check to see if the CPU is soldered in, then I also check whether your motherboard/bios will accept that CPU you plan to put in. You should find info of this on the manufacturers website. You say heat is no problem, are you planning to leave it open with constant cooling? As the phenom may be a higher wattage, running at a higher clock and generate more heat. At idle this maybe ok but under a load could cause issues.

I replaced an old Sempron for a AMD Turion x2 years ago now was ok managed to get it working but the cooling wasn't sufficient even though it stayed on my desk with the back covers off and on a cooling pad too.
The cpu is not soldered in from what i can see from online mobo pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1973 View Post

No can do. You're trying to put a Socket S1g4 chip into an S1g1 socket. Compatibility information on the four iterations of Socket S1 is sketchy, but no one has ever reported being able to run an S1g4 chip on anything but S1g4. The S1g1 can take a faster S1g1 chip and some people have had success running S1g2 processors in them, but that's all.

If the motherboard can handle a higher TDP chip without frying its VRM's, the best chip that would be guaranteed to run would be a Turion 64 X2 TL-68, a 2.4 GHz version of the chip you have now. By today's standards, that's still a slug, though. It's about as fast as a 2 GHz Merom C2D, which is good enough to browse the Internet but not a lot more.
Nothing can be as bad as the 1.3 in it now. I can see why a used Turion 64 X2 TL-68 2.4 can cost so much with the 2.2 version is so cheap. The 1.3 is 13W the 2.2 is 35W. Can anyone find the specs for the foxconn NAL00 LA 5401P mobo?

·
Premium Member
4,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig-Zag View Post

Nothing can be as bad as the 1.3 in it now. I can see why a used Turion 64 X2 TL-68 2.4 can cost so much with the 2.2 version is so cheap. The 1.3 is 13W the 2.2 is 35W. Can anyone find the specs for the foxconn NAL00 LA 5401P mobo?
The fastest available version of any discontinued mobile CPU usually carries a price premium over the other versions, and often, so does the second-fastest. There are two reasons for this: 1) those chips were often rare when new, as they were the cream of the crop and hand-picked off the production lines for high frequency and low power; and 2) people upgrading older hardware look for the fastest upgrade that they can get.

Because the K8 Turions weren't particularly fast even when new, that TL-68 or even TL-66 chip is particularly valuable to someone who wants to keep a laptop based on S1g1 in service.

I ran into the same thing, albeit not to the same degree, when I upgraded this Dell Inspiron 1545 from its dreadfully slow Pentium T4400 about a year ago. It will take any mobile C2D ever made, all the way to the 3.06 GHz T9900 and X9100 chips. But those are terribly expensive, really worth more than the laptop itself. Fortunately, I was able to score a 2.93 GHz T9800 for about $40. But occasionally, even the T9800's carry a price premium; they were going for $80-100 last fall when I checked, but seem to be back in the $45-70 range now. The T9900 sells for anywhere from $75-120, and the unlocked X9100 for $100 and up.

In your case, I think I'd go for the 2.2 GHz TL-64 at $17.49 shipped and call it a day. You'll get 90 percent of the performance of a TL-68 for about a sixth of the price. As far as the motherboard goes, here's a place you can get all of the technical schematics including the power circuitry information: http://notebookschematic.org/product/schematic-motherboard-for-laptop-acer-aspire-55387538-compal-la-5401p-nal00-rev-02/. It will set you back $5.99, though.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
SetFSB may let you overclock it as well as I managed to get an extra 500mhz out my mobile Sempron.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebellion88 View Post

SetFSB may let you overclock it as well as I managed to get an extra 500mhz out my mobile Sempron.
Haven't opened the acer so i do not have a clue what number to use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts