Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MMO Enthusiast
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has someone tried it with new GPU´s?, i´ve been reading but I only find people who made it with old gpu´s (8800 most of them).
I have a dead 7870 Tahiti LE, and a 280x with a lot of artifacts (memory issue I think), and since I´m already getting another I dont need them so I want to fix them to use them in my nephew/brother builds

if you dont know what im talking about: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/606658-THE-OVEN-TRICK-WORKED

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The 280x wasn't released that long ago, if it still has a warranty I would take it back, and defintely exlore other options such as updating the BIOS first. But in principle it should work the same way, GPU's still use solder...

·
MMO Enthusiast
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffieneKing View Post

The 280x wasn't released that long ago, if it still has a warranty I would take it back, and defintely exlore other options such as updating the BIOS first. But in principle it should work the same way, GPU's still use solder...
i already lost the warranty ´cause i installed an aftermarket cooler on it ( prolimatech mk-26) so there´s nothing else i can do with it, i´ll try to install another bios version, if it doesn´t work, going back to original question, thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well i used the oven trick to revive an old 6600gt agp 3 times. Why three times? Because after some time the video card would show artifacts again. Maybe i didn't do it right, but it didn't seem a permanent fix in my case. The last time a capacitor started leaking. The card worked for a while (after some careful cleaning) but showed artifacts again after some time. After that i didn't bother anymore.

Hope you can solve it with the bios flash.

·
Premium Member
7,990 Posts
It's a pot shot OP, I always tell people that the only time you should get ready to bake a card is the moment right before you toss it in the trash. Even then don't expect to get anything out of it, just consider it a scientific endeavor to learn more about electronics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilthran View Post

Well i used the oven trick to revive an old 6600gt agp 3 times. Why three times? Because after some time the video card would show artifacts again. Maybe i didn't do it right, but it didn't seem a permanent fix in my case. The last time a capacitor started leaking. The card worked for a while (after some careful cleaning) but showed artifacts again after some time. After that i didn't bother anymore.

Hope you can solve it with the bios flash.
I can't believe you just gave up and threw it away like that after the third bake... What a waste....
tongue.gif

·
Registered
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

I can't believe you just gave up and threw it away like that after the third bake... What a waste....
tongue.gif
I can't bring myself to throw it away, it's a testament of science, the will of men to never give up. I have it in a box somewhere, maybe one day i shall bake it again! (if i can find an agp board
tongue.gif
)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts