Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have had a problem for some time now every time I go to install newly released video drivers. I have found that it has taken me hours of downloading, backing up and restoring, BSODs, freezes, black screens, etc before I am able to finally install Nvidia drivers properly. It is getting to the point where I always dread new driver day!

My set up is
Asus Maximus V Formula
i7 3770k
32 gigs of Ram
GTX 680 in SLI

My monitors are
Samsung Syncmaster P2770
Benq BL2710

I have recently found that if I disable my second monitor, disable SLI, reboot, perform a clean driver install, reboot, enable second monitor, enable SLI, reboot, it tends to get through the process with less hiccups (Although on this last driver 347.09, I did get a BSOD during the driver install, but was able to get through it the second time).

My question is, does anybody else have issues like this when installing new video drivers? I know a friend of mine just does an express install using GeForce Experience every time a new driver comes out, and he never has any issues; the entire process takes him like 2 minutes. Also, is there anything else that I can do to minimize these types of headaches during driver installs? Does anybody actually bother installing drivers in safe mode?

Rylant

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Wrong forums.

And the best way to do driver updates is to always manually de-install all NVidia packages by hand (from Control Panel -> Software). This takes a couple reboots as NVidia doesn't have an unified uninstaller.

After having removed everything and gone through the final reboot, then just install the new version and you're ready to go.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just do a clean install from the driver installer. If you have problems, try uninstalling the drivers with the Display driver uninstaller available from geforce.com forums.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
You may want to consider using a product like Driver Cleaner after uninstalling your Nvidia drivers to completely remove the 35-100+ junk registry entries that are left behind after a typical video driver software package de-installation process. This product, or something similar may clear up the problem you are experiencing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts