Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was very happy with my X5670 and have been active on this thread for a while: http://www.overclock.net/t/1461359/official-xeon-x5660-x58-full-review-discussion-comparison-to-x79-high-end-cpus-and-xeon-l5639-benchmarks-inside-longest-post-ever

...until I decided to overclock my pci-e speed to 110mhz because of the increased bandwidth and higher read/write on my ssd.

All was good for about two weeks until one day I tried to start my PC and different colors vertical lines just showed up on the screen. So I rebooted and all was good again. I was wrong. The next day my PC was not booting anymore, it powers up but nothing shows in the screen. I persisted power cycling until I got it to boot finally and brought down the pcie clock back to 100mhz. Played a couple rounds BF4 and shut it off. Same day, i powered it up again to the same issue - no display. I reset the BIOS, reseated the GPU and it came back up but again, with a lot of power cycles in between steps.

Couple days past, no display again. But this time, the most scariest thing happened. I'm getting BIOS beep codes.... 1 long, 3 short beeps. I'm on an ASUS so that means 'GPU not detected'! Tried the following steps to revive the system: moved the GPU to a different slots, use a different set of PCIE power connectors, spray contact cleaner on the GPU (saw some goo on the back of the gpu maybe from a lizard), reseat RAM, try one stick RAM, tried DVI port, tried HDMI, reset bios on the back switch, reset the BIOS using battery, unplugged all HDs, no go. Very frustrated. By this time I was already thinking of buying an nvidia gtx 970 moving from an R9 290.

So with no luck at all and believing that either my mobo or gpu is already toast, i went to bed. The next morning, i tried powering up again and same thing, same beep code. And then sometime later, I tried powering again and this time no beep. It came up! I played couple of rounds of bf4 but it crashed. I think my GPU already has some damage. Well, I did some reseating again and after powering up (hard booting again several power cycles), it now crashes everytime I try to run 3D on it. Tried 3x same thing, crashes once i start Furmark, or Kombustor. Then i decided to move it to the pcie2 slot, this time it ran for a while but still crashed. Reflashed the BIOS with the same version while I was at it.

Now, this seems to be the ultimate fix and I'm typing on it now after playing several rounds of BF4 with my GPU overclocked like in the past with no crash. The one thing I changed that seemed to make it stable was increase the ICH PCIE Voltage to 1.54v. Cross fingers, it hasn't missed a beat. Boots up the first time and no crash. So far so good.

[UPDATE 1/4/15]
The problem went back even after increasing the ICH voltage. Obviously, that wasn't the cause of my display issues. I had to make sure it wasn't the motherboard so I moved my GPU to another one and sure enough the problem was still there... so it's my GPU.

In my first post I indicated that I saw grime on the back of my GPU's PCB. I used a contact cleaner to loosen it. It worked for a few hours until it's hard booting again. I was already contemplating oven baking it but went on to clean it with alcohol and toothbrush first. That seem to have fixed the issue as it's been running fine for 24 hours, back on my Asus board.

At this point, it doesn't seem it was setting the pcie to 110mhz that caused my problems. It seems it was merely coincidental.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroC1999 View Post

What do you mean 'Crash'

BSOD? If so, what code?
Black screen and my GPU wasn't overclocked at the time. 'Display driver crash' system tray notification for some of the times when i'm able to close the 3d app quick enough, but if i couldn't catch it it'll lock up.

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
Make sure your on the latest drivers, non betas.

Has upping the voltage worked for you?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was running on stock clocks and never had issues until i ran my pcie at 110mhz. I just posted this report as a warning that 110mhz indeed seems to cause damage or corruption in the BIOS or some other components. Increasing the PCIE ICH voltage seems to have helped (i had it on auto in the past) and reflashing the motherboard BIOS.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem went back even after increasing the ICH voltage. Obviously, that wasn't the cause of my display issues. I had to make sure it wasn't the motherboard so I moved my GPU to another one and sure enough the problem was still there... so it's my GPU.

In my first post I indicated that I saw grime on the back of my GPU's PCB. I used a contact cleaner to loosen it. It worked for a few hours until it's hard booting again. I was already contemplating oven baking it but went on to clean it with alcohol and toothbrush first. That seem to have fixed the issue as it's been running fine for 24 hours, back on my Asus board.

At this point, it doesn't seem it was setting the pcie to 110mhz that caused my problems. It seems it was merely coincidental.

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
Cycle it a few times, reboot cycles, cold and warm boots.

If it remains, crack open the GPU and replace TIM< check any connections and inspect for any physical damage such as cracked welds etc

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroC1999 View Post

Cycle it a few times, reboot cycles, cold and warm boots.

If it remains, crack open the GPU and replace TIM< check any connections and inspect for any physical damage such as cracked welds etc
Had it boot warm, cold, several times already. Cross fingers.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just did that, unplug from socket, press power button to dry all power from the motherboard, it still boots up. I think the grime was causing a short circuit or disruption in the circuitry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts