Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been finding myself getting more and more into the production and engineering of music. At the moment, I'm still in the early learning stages and have quite a ways to go. As such, my home studio is still in its earliest stages of planning.
I've been finding that for me, planning, seeing, or hearing about home studio's and their associated equipment gives me the same kind of satisfaction as looking at people's computer rigs, rooms, or audio equipment.

Now, this is quite a huge forum so I thought there must be more than one person who shares my new found interest. If you are one of those people, feel free to post about it here.

Right now, I'm planning on getting (in this order):
Either a Rode NT1A condenser mic or a Shure SM58 dynamic mic

E-mu 0404 audio interface (tentative decision)

KRK Rokit RP5 G2's

Acoustic Treatment for my closet aka soon to be recording booth.

·
Banned
1,910 Posts
its too bad people get pissed off at me cause aparently i talk about my sound equipment too much. ive had people flame me for it.

i love sound equipment. if you love recording, keep at it. people might flock to this thread. put it in your sig.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by coreyL View Post
its too bad people get pissed off at me cause aparently i talk about my sound equipment too much. ive had people flame me for it.

i love sound equipment. if you love recording, keep at it. people might flock to this thread. put it in your sig.
Indeed I think I will! I think music is one of the best things a person's mind can be exposed to, so what better way to enjoy it but to start making it myself!

·
Banned
1,910 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ckaz
View Post

Indeed I think I will! I think music is one of the best things a person's mind can be exposed to, so what better way to enjoy it but to start making it myself!

yup. get on that.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Bx5a for me

·
Registered
105 Posts
hi,

you are not lonely, i have been accumulating stuff for several years now.

if i were you i would not buy those expensive panels which will only deafen the sound you might record in your closet. the best sound recording i have made so far were in bright open spaces were the acoustics of the room blend with the instrument/singer you record. that's mostly true for acoustic takes. now, if you plan to record your screaming guitar amp, you will rather need soundproofing towards your neighboors.

those panels might nevertheless prove useful to tailor the sound at your mix position (left/right reflexions + front + behind if needed).

if i were you i'd stick to quality mics + preamps + sound card. NT1 is ok, sm58 is more live oriented. but this is an endless discussion if you do not specifiy budget & style. and remember that the instrument you pick up also has a great influence on the final product...

hope that helps !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts