Overclock.net banner

Should the joining criteria be relaxed and the members/purist split introduced?

• Keep as is - if you don't meet requirements, tough luck.

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Split membership between Purists (absolute adherence to criteria) and Members (window, mesh)

Votes: 18 48.6%
1 - 20 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to clarify: If you have LEDs, a side window, 200cfm fans, HAF 932 or UV dye in your watercooling - what you're doing isn't any less awesome or leet or whatever. It's just not what this particular thread is about.

ITT: Users who take a more refined approach to the aesthetics of computing.

The rules are simple enough - your computer must be sensible, sleek and mature. To this end, it must meet these criteria:

• No windows
  • No LED fans
  • The only visible LEDs are _purely_ functional (HDD activity, power, fan controller*, PSU warning light, whatever)
  • No large areas of mesh without a fan behind them that is approximately the size of the mesh
  • No external radiators if WC'ing
  • Absolutely no cold cathode lights
  • Noise cancelling features are a bonus
  • No case stickers, graffiti, art, etchings or doodles
  • No logos apart from those of the case manufacturer, and even they must be tasteful (i.e. not Alienware)
  • Absolutely no pre-built/mass manufactured computers. You must have a custom rig, even if it doesn't glow in the dark.

* To qualify as a "member", I'd appreciate it if you could supply a photo of your rig, or failing that at least list your case type.

Code:

Code:
[CODE]
[center][B][url=http://www.overclock.net/computer-cases/827655-unofficial-anti-ricer-thread.html#post10749008]Refined  Rigs Member[/url][/B][/center]
[/CODE]

Members List:
Supahspankeh (Founder and owner of thread)
Ecchi-BANZAII!!!
thenumericsystem
brodie337
dagron - No pics, P180
skkhai
_Chimera
thisizbrian
terence52 - No pics, sc-t01
r31ncarnat3d - No pics, SG02
zero9046
ymetushe - No Pics, ACTS 840
Agenesis
Chandlermaki
tmunn
Spandy87
The Master Chief
stimr2
TestECull - no pics, R230-P-BK
ehpexs - no pics, R3
whitesdan - P180/2
Shademaster
sexybastard
Draygonn
Pao

Feel free to drop me a PM to ask to be included, but please also put a pic in this thread if possible.

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,669 Posts
hmmm would i get yelled at for signing up...if the lights on the 2 r4's on my rad cant be disabled

i have an haf 932 btw, i dont count that little thing on the side as a window either

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,669 Posts
question is, if theres that tiny window stock on the regular 932, does it count against you> because i can cut it out, nor turn the lightso ff on thise fans, rest of my case is dark except mobo lights

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by D3FiN3 SiN View Post
You didn't change the thread's name, fantastic, here come the flamers now.
Thank you for your input, but we had 2 or 3 mods post in the proposition thread and neither of them took offence, and I publicly asked why it would be racist/defamatory and nobody provided a credible source or reason.

If you don't like the thread, don't post in it.

·
15,777 Posts
Contributing.

• No windows - CHECK!
  • No LED fans - CHECK!
  • The only visible LEDs are purely functional (HDD activity, power) - CHECK! - Doesn't even use any.
  • No large areas of mesh without a fan behind them that is approximately the size of the mesh - CHECK! - My goal is silence so I don't need to use top fan slots.
  • No external radiators if WC'ing - CHECK!
  • Absolutely no cold cathode lights -CHECK!
  • Noise cancelling features are a bonus -Will come!
  • No case stickers, graffiti, art, etchings or doodles - CHECK!
  • No logos apart from those of the case manufacturer, and even they must be tasteful (i.e. not Alienware) - CHECK!
  • Absolutely no pre-built/mass manufactured computers. You must have a custom rig, even if it doesn't glow in the dark. - LOL CHECK!
  • EXTRA - Cablemanagement - CHECK!

·
Banned
4,814 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SupahSpankeh View Post
Thank you for your input, but we had 2 or 3 mods post in the proposition thread and neither of them took offence, and I publicly asked why it would be racist/defamatory and nobody provided a credible source or reason.

If you don't like the thread, don't post in it.

Of course the mods won't take offense to it, that's not who I am talking about.

I am talking about the mindless flamers, just trying to help out.

I'm not hatin'.

·
Registered
816 Posts
wow, if you need none of those to be in this club you might as well put you computer in a wooden box and paint it black

·
15,777 Posts
I hate the word ricer since it's overused by Americans towards cars that are Japanese, but sad thing is that very few can relate this tread to what it is unless the word "ricer" is in it...
RAGE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by townending View Post
wow, if you need none of those to be in this club you might as well put you computer in a wooden box and paint it black
It's not hard to have a clean PC.
I don't even have any HDD or power LED connected. Haven't used any of those since late 2002.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by D3FiN3 SiN View Post
Of course the mods won't take offense to it, that's not who I am talking about.

I am talking about the mindless flamers, just trying to help out.

I'm not hatin'.
Thanks for the heads up then ^^

Hopefully it won't cause too much trouble, but if it does... I'll change it. I'm not absolutely certain about the name... but it seems to have hit a chord (everyone understood what I was getting at) so I'll leave it for now.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by PCSarge View Post
hmmm would i get yelled at for signing up...if the lights on the 2 r4's on my rad cant be disabled

i have an haf 932 btw, i dont count that little thing on the side as a window either

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCSarge View Post
question is, if theres that tiny window stock on the regular 932, does it count against you> because i can cut it out, nor turn the lightso ff on thise fans, rest of my case is dark except mobo lights
Gentlemen,

If you don't consider yourselves to own a case that meets the criteria, there's always "fan" status ^^

3 years ago I wouldn't even have been a fan myself >.<

·
15,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SupahSpankeh View Post
Thanks for the heads up then ^^

Hopefully it won't cause too much trouble, but if it does... I'll change it. I'm not absolutely certain about the name... but it seems to have hit a chord (everyone understood what I was getting at) so I'll leave it for now.
Good/bad & understandable.

·
Banned
994 Posts
damn i have tons of cathode lights, and the decal that came with the crosshair iv.. Also the No window is kinda dumb criteria, what's the use of building a high end pc if you can't see it in action

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
But I have tasteful White LED's to light up the insides when the side panel is off... I don't consider my rig "ricey". Camera is Out of commission, so pic will come later.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Am I the only one that finds this a bit pretentious?

I absolutely fit into this category, every criteria is my rig, yet I still find it......well, rude.

·
Banned
4,814 Posts
When I get my Elite 341, I may join, we will see what happens.

One problem, I have LEDs on my fan controller to indicate at what speed they are going (brighter means faster). Is that okay, or no?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ErBall View Post
Am I the only one that finds this a bit pretentious?

I absolutely fit into this category, every criteria is my rig, yet I still find it......well, rude.
The part I find rude is how this thread is for "Users who take a more sensible approach to computing"

·
Registered
816 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecchi-BANZAII!!! View Post
I hate the word ricer since it's overused by Americans towards cars that are Japanese, but sad thing is that very few can relate this tread to what it is unless the word "ricer" is in it...
RAGE.

It's not hard to have a clean PC.
I don't even have any HDD or power LED connected. Haven't used any of those since late 2002.
Well you can have leds and still have a clean pc, i have red leds and my case is clean. I actually get better temps with my case doors on

1 - 20 of 333 Posts