Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
there is no easy way out
3,253 Posts
There is no point in going with Intel unless you need AVX512.
Nah the advantage seems to be long gone now. We are looking at 50% IPC indecrease :D
that means,
AVX512 will become AVX256
AVX256 will become SSE2
and SSE2 will turn into SSE64 whatever

·
Politically incorrect
9,214 Posts
Nah the advantage seems to be long gone now. We are looking at 50% IPC indecrease :D
that means,
AVX512 will become AVX256
AVX256 will become SSE2
and SSE2 will turn into SSE64 whatever
Blasphemy! Nothing will change my mind about KFC being the best gaming CPU (I do like their nuggets, much better than McDonalds).

·
Registered
95 Posts
to someone not knowledgeable in this, if I have a 9700k, can I avoid having this mitigation enabled somehow? is my 9700k already using SGX ?

is this 50% supposed performance drop in all tasks? gaming? does it translate to 50% lower average fps or what? :D

on a sidenote I disabled meltdown and spectre mitigations with the inspectre app for the past year without any issues at all..

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,769 Posts
i wonder if the mitigation for this is why all our HPs are automatically BIOS updating this morning.

this is also why they should NOT have baked HP support assistant into the image.

gonna have to strip that out ASAP.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,860 Posts
HWinfo64 says if SGX is enabled and you may be able to turn it off in bios. The bios in my Asus 7700hq laptop lacks that option though :/
That thing is already the loudest pc in my house. If a fix cranks up the cpu usage that thing will go full turbo. Maybe I should just sell it.
I had the 7700HQ in a laptop and it was beast. But ran uber hot and each one of Dell's BIOS updates made it louder than the last. Eventually I sold it because the whine was wearing on me too much. Started hearing it in my dreams and that's when I decided it was enough. Haha.

i wonder if the mitigation for this is why all our HPs are automatically BIOS updating this morning.

this is also why they should NOT have baked HP support assistant into the image.

My aunt's got a nice little HP 2400G machine with that support assist program on it. She refuses to let me remove it or to install a clean copy of LTSC so I wonder how it'll be affected by this mitigation.

Never much liked support assist myself but I see where it could be useful being automated and all.

·
professional curmudgeon
10,391 Posts
Blasphemy! Nothing will change my mind about KFC being the best gaming CPU (I do like their nuggets, much better than McDonalds).
aHR0cHM6Ly9zLnlpbWcuY29tL29zL2NyZWF0ci11cGxvYWRlZC1pbWFnZXMvMjAyMC0wMi9mZGQ1Nzc0.png

·
I <3 narcissists
6,172 Posts
Is that a European holding an American snack and being amused by it's existence?

·
professional curmudgeon
10,391 Posts
Is that a European holding an American snack and being amused by it's existence?
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/2020-02-28-kfc-donut-sandwich-chicken-kentucy-fried-menu-item-23936600.html
Friday morning isn’t usually the best time for a slice of fried chicken, but it’s always the best time for several donuts. This was the problem at hand when KFC delivered 12 Chicken & Donuts sandwiches to In The Know’s New York office at 10:00 a.m.
tbh i googled the image w/o knowing the source.

·
Politically incorrect
9,214 Posts

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,769 Posts
I had the 7700HQ in a laptop and it was beast. But ran uber hot and each one of Dell's BIOS updates made it louder than the last. Eventually I sold it because the whine was wearing on me too much. Started hearing it in my dreams and that's when I decided it was enough. Haha.

My aunt's got a nice little HP 2400G machine with that support assist program on it. She refuses to let me remove it or to install a clean copy of LTSC so I wonder how it'll be affected by this mitigation.

Never much liked support assist myself but I see where it could be useful being automated and all.
ours is specifically configured in deployment to come out NOT setup to auto-update. this was a mandatory push from it simply existing.

yeah, I laid down the law today after seeing that happen.

told the support desk that no fux are given what their opinion is. they can go to the website if they think they need drivers the windows store isn't properly pulling. (only thing I'm willing to admit this might be an issue on is docking stations. they're hit or miss on P&P/pulling drivers)

i watched 40 laptops pull all special HP drivers today. NO MORE SUPPORT ASSISTANT. Find me ONE ticket where you can prove updating the BIOS fixed something, and maybe we'll talk, but even then, WE ARE THE SUPPORT ASSISTANTS YOU LAZY BUMS.

serious question now... of all the 4x style space games, which one should I dive into? Thinking Endless Space 2.

·
Politically incorrect
9,214 Posts
ours is specifically configured in deployment to come out NOT setup to auto-update. this was a mandatory push from it simply existing.

told the support desk that no fux are given what their opinion is. they can go to the website if they think they need drivers the windows store isn't properly pulling. (only thing I'm willing to admit this might be an issue on is docking stations. they're hit or miss on P&P/pulling drivers)

i watched 40 laptops pull all special HP drivers today. NO MORE SUPPORT ASSISTANT. Find me ONE ticket where you can prove updating the BIOS fixed something, and maybe we'll talk, but even then, WE ARE THE SUPPORT ASSISTANTS YOU LAZY BUMS.

serious question now... of all the 4x style space games, which one should I dive into? Thinking Endless Space 2.
Endless Space 2 is damned good, I've played it a lot and like it. I do prefer Civilisation but Endless Space isn't bad.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
So is this attack made into a virus that any intel CPU (that it works on) can get ?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Imagine if next year for some reason, all modern intel CPU's really do end up 1/2 as fast overnight to fix some problem

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,769 Posts
overnight? no, over the period of 2 years. one bios, hardware driver, & windows update at a time.

·
there is no easy way out
3,253 Posts
Winrar score of my current Haswell CPU was 9300 - 9400 KB/s a week ago (Fixed 3.7 GHz all core, 1600 CL9 something timings). Now it is around 8600 KB/s. This has got something to do with recent windows updates.

Edit: Winrar 4.2 x64.

Edit2: My bad, the information in this post is wrong, it's been corrected some posts later in this thread.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,769 Posts
you can push them off or longer periods of time on enterprise, or you could spin up a WSUS server, & have it catch all updates & never push. :D

·
there is no easy way out
3,253 Posts
That is good indeed, but the thing is it was me who did it manually lol :D . I couldn't guess they were gonna address this specific LVI one, this soon. Exactly until now, there was no noticeable decrease in performance. It still isn't perceivable enough for now for real world applications, but; at least the synthetic benchmarks scores seem to be going down a bit. Geekbech 5 went down too. Let's see what happens next.

·
Hey I get one of these!
7,508 Posts

Hah! That sucks.

Our stance on such tools can be summed up with this; The last tech that actually ran the Dell auto updater tool thing got told off for putting non-standardized software, drivers, and BIOS on something we support, creating unknowns. They should have reinstalled the one relevant driver, maybe updated it, and searched for hardware issues.

No Joke. :cheers:

Our image bakes in .CABs from Dell, but those are checked before being inserted. Automated tools for users who don't care at home? Sure. In an enterprise environment? No. There are teams for people for that.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts

Where I work mandates enabling auto-updates for Windows, which is a colossal pain. Fortunately, all but one of my boxes run Linux, although even that isn't always pain-free (stupid Intel iGPU drivers on newer kernels).

The recent mad dash to migrate Windows 7/Server 2008 boxes off the soon-to-be-unsupported OS was slightly strange to watch, as well.

Endless Space 1 or 2, really. They're both great.

I've been less enamoured of Stellaris; it doesn't "click" for me.

Endless Legend is also good, if you're willing to try a fantasy 4X by the same devs as Endless Space.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts