Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an attempt to expand our vocabularies and learn little-known large words I decided to make this thread. I have a number of words to contribute but I'll let other members post their words first.

Rules:
1) The word must be a minimum of 10 letters.
2) You must post the correct spelling of the word and the definition (copied from www.dictionary.com or a similar site) in your reply.
3) Please post words that is somewhat intellectual or rare... "Pteradactyl" qualifies for the first two, but winged dinosaurs aren't exactly intellectual.

Sesquipedalian:
n.
A long word.

adj.
1. Given to the use of long words.
2. Long and ponderous; polysyllabic.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
PNEUMONO­ULTRA­MICRO­SCOPIC­SILICO­VOLCANO­CONIOSI S
(also spelled PNEUMONO­ULTRA­MICRO­SCOPIC­SILICO­VOLCANO­KONIOSI S)
- a lung disease caused by breathing in particles of siliceous volcanic dust.

·
Registered
987 Posts
hermaphroditism
1. An anomalous condition in humans and animals in which both male and female reproductive organs and secondary sexual characteristics are present in the same individual.
2. The presence of both male and female reproductive organs in a plant or animal, as in an earthworm or a monoecious plant.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keep 'em coming...

Verisimilitude:
n.
1. The quality of appearing to be true or real. See Synonyms at truth.
2. Something that has the appearance of being true or real.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Floccinaucinihilipilification:
n.
An act or instance of judging something to be worthless or trivial

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
How about adding that you have to use it in a sentence as well, so we can get the correct context of it?

Philanthropist = http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/philanthropist

George donates time and money to his local schools, what a philanthropist!

Man that was a corny sentence.

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Antidisestablishmentarianism.
-"antidisestablishmentarians" were opposed to proposals to remove the Church's status as the state church of England.
"Those people over there believe in Antidisestablishmentarianism, they are hethens!"

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia.
-a phobia indicating fear of long words.
"It seems to me that TheInformationator does not have Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia."

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiendofmine

Pyronecrobestiac:
A person who engages in sexual intercourse with Flaming dead animals.

Supercalorfragilisticexpealidocious . Dont know what it means but i loved it as a kid..lol

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is... disturbing o_O. While the roots of the word appear to be correct (except perhaps "best" should be "beast") that word does not appear in any dictionary (and I've searched three so far). I think it would be better for this world if that word didn't exist haha.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Ya I don't believe that pyro word exists. Its a word that band made up or something.

·
Registered
987 Posts
gerrymandering
To divide (a geographic area) into voting districts so as to give unfair advantage to one party in elections.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Sodiummetadiaminoparadioxyarsenobenzoemethylenesul phoxylate

An arsenic-containing drug, also know as neosalvarsan.
TOP THAT!

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
Ornicopytheobibliopsychocrystarroscioaerogenethlio meteoroaustrohieroanthropoichtyopyrosiderochpnomyo alectryoophiobotanopegohydrorhabdocrithoaleuroalph itohalomolybdoclerobeloaxinocoscinodactyliogeolith opessopsephocatoptrotephraoneirochiroonychodactylo arithstichooxogeloscogastrogyrocerobletonooenoscap ulinaniac

Longest word in the English language at 310 letters long. I think I'm missing one. The word is a medieval one used to describe "A deluded human who practices divination of forecasting by means of phenomena, interpretation of acts, or other manifestations related to the following animate or inanimate objects and appearances: birds, oracles, Bible, ghosts, crystal gazing, shadows, air appearances, birth stars, meteors, winds, sacrificial appearances, entrails of humans and fishes, fire, red-hot irons, altar smoke, mice, grain picking by rooster, snakes, herbs, fountains, water, wands, dough, meal, barley, salt, lead, dice, arrows, hatchet balance, sieve, ring suspension, random dots, precious stones, pebbles, pebble heaps, mirrors, ash writing, dreams, palmistry, nail rays, finger rings, numbers, book passages, name letterings, laughing manners, ventriloquism, circle walking, wax, susceptibility to hidden springs, wine, and shoulder blades.

Found this little bit in the Top 10 of Everything, ver. 2002

• Rep+
Reactions: CyberDruid

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by laboitenoire

Ornicopytheobibliopsychocrystarroscioaerogenethlio meteoroaustrohieroanthropoichtyopyrosiderochpnomyo alectryoophiobotanopegohydrorhabdocrithoaleuroalph itohalomolybdoclerobeloaxinocoscinodactyliogeolith opessopsephocatoptrotephraoneirochiroonychodactylo arithstichooxogeloscogastrogyrocerobletonooenoscap ulinaniac

Longest word in the English language at 310 letters long. I think I'm missing one. The word is a medieval one used to describe "A deluded human who practices divination of forecasting by means of phenomena, interpretation of acts, or other manifestations related to the following animate or inanimate objects and appearances: birds, oracles, Bible, ghosts, crystal gazing, shadows, air appearances, birth stars, meteors, winds, sacrificial appearances, entrails of humans and fishes, fire, red-hot irons, altar smoke, mice, grain picking by rooster, snakes, herbs, fountains, water, wands, dough, meal, barley, salt, lead, dice, arrows, hatchet balance, sieve, ring suspension, random dots, precious stones, pebbles, pebble heaps, mirrors, ash writing, dreams, palmistry, nail rays, finger rings, numbers, book passages, name letterings, laughing manners, ventriloquism, circle walking, wax, susceptibility to hidden springs, wine, and shoulder blades.

Found this little bit in the Top 10 of Everything, ver. 2002

That's not a word! NO way. You probably jsut hit the keyboard a couple tiems or something...I want proof!

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
Like I said, it's a medieval word. I looked up the longest words in the Top 10 of Everything 2002. Page 101. Written by Russell Ash, published by Dorling Kindersley. If you don't believe me, go to your library and check the book out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts