Overclock.net banner

55281 - 55300 of 55346 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,840 Posts
Sounds like what happens here.

You can't register an imported car, unless it's been exempted (with very specific criteria, mainly being "vintage" (no idea what their definition is), inherited or a race car). But of course there are plenty of cars that come from Japan as imports destined for other countries (on temporary permits), that end up staying. There are also ex-Jap Swazi-imports that are sold here for almost nothing (still with the Swaziland numberplates). So those cars get registered as built up (so code 3 but can be driven).

But of course if they stop you at a road block they have the right to demand proof of how the car ended up back on the road (and what happened to it). And then they'll eventually realise where the car came from, and crush it as an illegal import.

·
toast toast!
1,183 Posts
I was looking into importing a car directly from japan.
It's not as expensive as it seems. I thought it would be pricier.

But damn, Poland pretty much bans JDM-only cars.

Japanese cars have a 13-character long VIN, while most of the world uses 17-character long VIN.

You can apply for an exemption but they will grant it only for LHD vehicles.

If I were to purchase an Aristo and then use GS300 parts to make it LHD then fine, it's possible to register one.
Takes roughly 3 months or so I read on forums to get the exemption paperwork.

But with cars that don't have any LHD analogs it's impossible.

I was looking at Toyota Crown with an 1JZ engine.
2.5L displacement makes it cheaper to insure and there are fairly cheap GTE equipped cars available.
Only found one company which supposedly sells some parts for Crown LHD conversion but never saw any examples other than one photo of the LHD dashboard.

I heard the ministry itself recommends to register the car through Germany or any other EU country (UK was the best option because RHD car doesn't need to be adjusted to LHD traffic before registration).
Once it's registered in any EU state then it can be registered in Poland just fine.

Commiting a crime and welding a VIN number plate from some broken registered GS300 from UK is a faster option.
A running GS300 from UK is in fact cheaper than getting an LHD conversion.
And since the JDM car cannot be registered it's basically a ghost.
That means the state doesn't know what happened to the car once it's off the boat, no insurance to pay, nothing.
LHD conversion for the GS300 is roughly 2k USD. UK RHD GS300 is at roughly 1.5k USD.

For the same reason JDM imports are popular as drift/race cars.
They cannot be registered but that also means no insurance or anything.
In Poland the only way to unregister a car is through the junkyard.
If you have some BMW that is registered you will still need the insurance and all the paperwork.
Otherwise they will run you into the ground with fines.

I would have to check if the companies which do imports for you offer any help when it comes to registering such cars.
I have seen one Toyota Chaser with Polish plates and that's about the max I know.
Maybe there is an unknown loophole that can make it easier to register.
You could import it to the UK, but its a mountain of paperwork, quite heavy taxes, requires an inspection, and the installation of a rear fog light as far as I'm aware.

There are other RHD countries in Europe besides the UK. You could look into importing it to Ireland, Malta or Cyprus. Also don't forget Jersey, Guernsey and Alderney. They all have their own rules around cars and are way more lax than the UK is. They aren't in the EU but have various agreements. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't register a RHD car from the Channel islands in the EU. You can see France from there!

Back 20 odd years ago, because new car prices in the UK were so high people were buying new cars in the Netherlands, optioning them as RHD and then importing them. This might mean the Netherlands allows the registration of RHD cars. I havent done any research on this, maybe they have anti-jdm rules like Poland does.

·
Eastern Bloc Electronics
1,623 Posts
Importing to Germany is in fact a popular option for JDM importers over here.
VAT is 19% (now I heard they lowered it even more because of COVID) instead of 23% in Poland.

For cars with a high value it does make some noticeable savings, even if you add the transport cost.

Generally speaking the taxes are:
10% duty regardless of the car or where in EU the car happens to go
VAT, 19% germany, 23% poland
excise- in Poland it's 3.1% for engines under 2L, 18.6% above 2L, also applied to cars imported within EU (the only such tax in the whole EU, others don't have this, defacto duty)

Then they transfer it to Poland for registration.

Germany is far closer than UK.
It's a manageable trip, even by train.
And having some people you know there, means it can make the paperwork a lot easier.

I have seen numerous Crowns for sale in Germany, now the market is quite empty but I guess it's because of COVID.

Importing the car to some "unknown" territory that is also quite far would be pricey and hard.
A car registered in Germany I could just drive directly back to Poland and it would take just few hours.

But the fact that I need to double register means that I also have to pay more and go through a lot of paperwork and trouble.
Germany is not the worst but certainly not the easiest one when it comes to doing paperwork.

I did also read about a guy who was driving an japanese import for over a year.
He used the original japanese plates and paperwork.
When stopped by police he presented untranslated japanese paperwork.
Officers were so confused they decided to let him go each time.
An average policeman is just not going to go through so much trouble as to research what the paperwork is, and what kind of law applies to a vehicle using japanese plates. The owner could be some rich weird fellow, knowing the right people.

But that would be quite risky in case of a crash, the fines would stack up quite high.

Looking over all the paperwork just getting an Aristo and doing the LHD swap seems to be easier.
All the paperwork can be done within the country and LHD is going to be easier to drive.
Car getting off the boat in Gdańsk means I can just go and take it myself.

Money wise an Aristo in a decent state, even after taxes is still cheaper than a good GS300 mk2.
Slap an LHD conversion and it does come out as fairly equal.
But the best thing is that mileage on those JDM imports is low and the chassis is fairly rust-free.
The ones on the Polish market I'm fairly certain won't have either of those advantages.

Crown is cheaper (especially ones with GTE engine), newer and does also come in a station wagon option (lots of space for LPG tank).
But with all the extra steps for registration workarounds the price would go up quite quickly.
Insurance in Germany, paying some road taxes, the list just goes on.

·
toast toast!
1,183 Posts
Ah I see, Germany is the more obvious option, It sounded from your original post that they wouldnt allow a RHD car to be registered, but if they do then that's got to be the easiest way.

UK is quite a way from Poland, and the crossing is expensive. A friend and I were tempted to go to Toruń for ICCCR, but that's obviously been cancelled, and it's a bit too far, we wouldnt have been able to get enough time off work. It would have been in this month. We just about managed to go to the 2016 one in the Netherlands, but that's about half the distance.

Channel Islands can be a pain to get to even from the UK, but you might be able to avoid tax that way, they're extremely lax on that sort of thing. If you can find some contacts there you might not even need to go there.

I see a lot of cars running around on Jersey and Guernsey plates, and while I live in the nearest part of the UK to them, I've seen cars locally that have been driving around for many years on Guernsey plates. They don't have to get an MOT or pay tax, speeding or parking fines and the islands insurance is stupid cheap. I've even seen a car on Alderney plates, and Alderney has no car ferry, so the only way to get cars on or off the island is by container.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Looks like a very well maintained wrangler. I learned to drive a manual transmission on a similar one.

@Fluxmaven - Dunno if you are interested in this or not. Found it in my old 240sx modding list while looking for some carbon fiber information.

https://youtu.be/JuKtPg2BFYs
Thank you

2 door Wrangler is the best Wrangler :) How common are those over in Germany?

Not interested in a depower on my current NA. I've been back and forth but decided I'm leaving the AC and PS. I like using this as a daily and want to focus on keeping it a nice driver. Miata's are cheap so I'll grab a 2nd one to apply the Lotus formula on. "simplify, then add lightness."

One of the biggest thing's I've been in the market for is a factory hardtop for my car. So I'll just buy a top that still has a Miata attached to it :p
In the TJ era not very but they are around JK's/JL's are fairly common out in the country.

That's got to be a relief! Congrats on the move (I'm assuming it's something you wanted at least). The lower insurance rates sound like it'll be worth it alone lol.

Nice 2-door! I feel like Wranglers in EU in general are fairly uncommon, so that must be a nice refresher :D.
I still work for uncle sam so it's very American and not TÜV legal. There's a pretty big Jeep store accessory store outside of Stuttgart which has most of the needed stock replacement parts.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,870 Posts
Just changed my Avalon's oil @ 308k miles. Next time it's due is at 318k miles lol.

·
Official Luddite of OCN
5,675 Posts
Picked up a 2013 G37 Sedan last weekend. Got sick of the subcompact life. Always pushed the little car to keep up, now I just cruise with decent power and rwd. Of course I'd get a flat in the first week, but replaced all four corners with G-Max AS-05's.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,870 Posts
I think it's still the rule that if you buy a sweet new car you have to post up pics or you'll...get in trouble or something lol.
___
Unrelated buy funny.

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
Thank you

In the TJ era not very but they are around JK's/JL's are fairly common out in the country.

I still work for uncle sam so it's very American and not TÜV legal. There's a pretty big Jeep store accessory store outside of Stuttgart which has most of the needed stock replacement parts.
It's still awesome! Beautiful Jeep and glad to see the pics of it. I love seeing Jeeps with a different (non-NA) scenery. Do you have an IG or anything similar?

·
toast toast!
1,183 Posts
It's still awesome! Beautiful Jeep and glad to see the pics of it. I love seeing Jeeps with a different (non-NA) scenery. Do you have an IG or anything similar?
I saw a TJ yesterday. RHD ones were sold in the UK and are an occasional sight, but they held their values quite well. Most Wranglers today are JKs. One thing about the UK is you can go on howmanyleft.co.uk and see the number registered. It says 6080 Wranglers of all ages were on in use in Q1 2020. Of which roughly 1800 would be TJs. I don't think this includes old Willys jeeps, but I know where someone has one so they are out there.

With the real Defender having ran its course, The Jimny waiting list being insane (and it's about to be dropped anyway), and the Land Cruiser having long turned into a Range Rover, The Wrangler is the last small 4x4 left that is actually usable off road and not a crossover.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,870 Posts
I drove a full fat Range Rover for a while and loved it. They are absurdly tall and wide, + not all that long so they have a uniquely large amount of head and leg room compared to anything else on the market. I'm 192cm tall and had another foot at least between my head and the headliner so I was in heaven haha.
____
Bought an order of spark plugs for my parents Jeep again. Nice & cheap for copper plugs, though I still find it a bit unusual that a 2005 model vehicle needs coppers. (The 3.7 isn't spec'd for copper from the factory, but later TSB's revised the spec and they are strongly recommended over any other kind of plug)

·
Super Moderator
3,624 Posts
I saw a TJ yesterday. RHD ones were sold in the UK and are an occasional sight, but they held their values quite well. Most Wranglers today are JKs. One thing about the UK is you can go on howmanyleft.co.uk and see the number registered. It says 6080 Wranglers of all ages were on in use in Q1 2020. Of which roughly 1800 would be TJs. I don't think this includes old Willys jeeps, but I know where someone has one so they are out there.

With the real Defender having ran its course, The Jimny waiting list being insane (and it's about to be dropped anyway), and the Land Cruiser having long turned into a Range Rover, The Wrangler is the last small 4x4 left that is actually usable off road and not a crossover.
You guys don't have the 4runner or Land Cruiser Prado/Lexus GX?

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
You guys don't have the 4runner or Land Cruiser Prado/Lexus GX?
We do, but they're just sold as Land Cruiser. I've seen quite a few J120s

·
Super Moderator
3,624 Posts
They're pretty comparable to a Wrangler. IFS so maybe not quite as good on big rocks but still plenty capable.

·
Official Luddite of OCN
5,675 Posts
Bought an order of spark plugs for my parents Jeep again. Nice & cheap for copper plugs, though I still find it a bit unusual that a 2005 model vehicle needs coppers. (The 3.7 isn't spec'd for copper from the factory, but later TSB's revised the spec and they are strongly recommended over any other kind of plug)

Same plugs I've been using in my 1988 Jeep Comanche 4.0L

I think it's still the rule that if you buy a sweet new car you have to post up pics or you'll...get in trouble or something lol.
Fair enough. Here's a pic of the car in the same trim/color but not actually my car as oddly enough I haven't taken pics yet. My car has a sunroof & much darker tinted glass though (Florida life). Car doesn't scream grocery getter, nor does it stand out in a crowd as a cop magnet. Exactly what I wanted out of a car that has 330hp.

Attachments

·
LTSC for life crew
2,870 Posts
@SoloCamo - Very nice. And that VQ37 is an excellent motor. For a V6 it makes gobs of torque without sacrificing anything on the high rev hp - All while being as dependable as anything made by Toyota. Also dat 4.0 life haha. I had a '98 Grand Cherokee 4.0 that was my first baby and it treated me really well despite being hooned around like a sports car. My parents borrowed it to visit their friend up north and somehow managed to drive it many miles on the highway in 4-Low and it was never the same after that event.

·
toast toast!
1,183 Posts
We haven't had the 4runner since 1996. They're so niche I don't think I've seen one. There are some old Hilux Surf's still about but they might all be JDM imports.

My only experience with them is that I once asked the mechanic I used to use what his least favourite car was and he said Hilux Surf. They had some common and serious engine or drivetrain problem he was forever dealing with. I can't remember exactly what he said it the problem was, but he said the regular Hilux pickups are great and don't get that problem. Maybe it was something to do with the diesel engine. He also told me to never buy an Automatic Mitusbishi FTO.

Also the Hilux Surf is huge. It could easily be a 7 seater. I thought it was until I looked it up. It's way bigger than a TJ Wrangler or a Landy 90, let alone a Jimny which is a kei car! A Defender 110 is longer than a 3 door Prado, but a Defender 90 is much shorter. Landy is narrower but taller.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,870 Posts
Do me a favor and google something called the "Ford Excursion". When I think of a big vehicle that's what comes to mind.
___

Took some pictures of the spark plug change. It's a fairly routine job but I don't do much wrenching these days so I took pictures anyway.

Intake off.

I've never seen plugs with shades of green on them. No idea where that came from, almost looked like moss in person. Either way these are quite a ways overdue for replacement.

And all buttoned back up. :)

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,878 Posts
Do me a favor and google something called the "Ford Excursion". When I think of a big vehicle that's what comes to mind.
Yeah, but my factory 2500 with a bed cap is longer, taller and heavier, sooooo

·
LTSC for life crew
2,870 Posts
I'm in training to get my CDL and our trucks are fairly big too.

55281 - 55300 of 55346 Posts