Overclock.net banner

55301 - 55320 of 55346 Posts

·
I can count to potato
709 Posts
Yea my car is pretty big too :p

I have a few things that require my physical presence in the office so it's time to put some pants on and drive to work. Had to give the car a quick wash first though.

Attachments

·
toast toast!
1,183 Posts
Those plugs looked pretty worn. Replacing them has got to have helped it a bit. The yellowish green could be something in the local fuel maybe? Maybe lots of sulphur.

Is anyone in here knoledgable in Air Conditioning? I've been told the compressor on the XJS is failing. "It might last the summer if you're lucky but it's not worth it using it in case it sends swarf around." It's a Harrison A6 compressor just like 1970s American GM cars. It was converted to 134a in 2010. I've bought one of those Alma Products reproduction compressors that GM allegedly used to stock. (I'm not putting a Chinese clone in, and I dont want to be paying out even more to upgrade to a Sanden). However, I'm not sure if the oil that comes in it will be the correct type, as the system has been R134a converted, and R12 isn't an option here any more. The new compressor is set up already for a high side pressure switch, Jaguars had them from 1987 onwards, but there was some modification done for the 134a conversion. What was this likely to have been, and what oil will I need?

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
I saw a TJ yesterday. RHD ones were sold in the UK and are an occasional sight, but they held their values quite well. Most Wranglers today are JKs. One thing about the UK is you can go on howmanyleft.co.uk and see the number registered. It says 6080 Wranglers of all ages were on in use in Q1 2020. Of which roughly 1800 would be TJs. I don't think this includes old Willys jeeps, but I know where someone has one so they are out there.

With the real Defender having ran its course, The Jimny waiting list being insane (and it's about to be dropped anyway), and the Land Cruiser having long turned into a Range Rover, The Wrangler is the last small 4x4 left that is actually usable off road and not a crossover.
That's a pretty dang cool resource. I will say I didn't expect there to be so many Wranglers in the UK.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,870 Posts
Throwback...uhh saturday! Looking for some family photos and came across more of my 240SX photos.

I was a car hoarder, I admit it - and my red 240sx convertible was hidden behind the garage door. But I have good taste in cars. At least I think I do..

Some meaty tires for a car that weighs the same as a Miata (It was heavily stripped out, 2300lbs at this point)

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
4,514 Posts
I'm in training to get my CDL and our trucks are fairly big too.
nice (in case thats the actual rig you get to touch, as thats a good stack of cash rolling on 10 wheels)

i like the 379 over 389 ;)

but they are becoming rare and most of them i see coming thru are in rough shape....

should have linked his wrapped dryvan too man.... thats a lot of work, and please if you are working for him, thank him for doing this!

Attachments

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,344 Posts
Given that the engine bay of the RS is not pretty, I decided to add a few things to make it look a bit more unique.
You can also spot my latest addition, a Radium Engineering dual Catch-Can System.
The quality is insane and I love how discreet it is.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,770 Posts
Given that the engine bay of the RS is not pretty, I decided to add a few things to make it look a bit more unique.
You can also spot my latest addition, a Radium Engineering dual Catch-Can System.
The quality is insane and I love how discreet it is.

Those are nice cans. They are similar to the dual Moroso cans I have in my STi. Where did you route the drain?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,840 Posts
One of those small petrol commercial pickups caught fire just outside our house today. Apart from a clearly toasted battery and some wiring damage, they actually had very little damage. After looking again (mainly to make sure nothing was still smouldering), it looks like the harness caught fire (the driver told me that the owner bridged a blown fuse just this morning). And it was under the battery, and right next to the petrol tank.

And this is why people should have fire extinguishers that are easy to get to.

·
toast toast!
1,183 Posts
Ouch. That's one of those things where you'd hope that people wouldn't be quite that stupid, yet you know deep down that they do crap like that all the time. Glad nobody got hurt.

My brother bought a ratty BMW like that. The passenger window didn't work, which meant the door was a pain to open. In the fusebox all the fuses were in random positions, completely wrong. The fuse for the seat motor had copper wire wrapped around it. The idiot who had it before didn't realise that the reason the fuse kept blowing was because they put a 5A in there when it needed to be 6 times that size! Maybe they thought the numbers were just for show or perhaps some kind of illuminati code.

Needless to say, after putting all the fuses back in the correct place, the seat motor and window worked. There was some paperwork in the car from a mosque in Birmingham. That explained a lot. Birmingham is famous for its screwdrivers, so no doubt one had been used to install the fuses in that car.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,840 Posts
A bit later they DROVE the thing away. I don't know what was done to it (someone showed up while I was away), but I definitely wouldn't have even attempted to start it, or put power on the damaged wiring.

As for the battery, I had to put a spanner under the negative terminal and knock the pole out with my ratchet because it wanted to pull right out of the battery. And that cable was also rather hot when I got it off (first very carefully took the positive off, I couldn't see any markings so I didn't know which was which). I also had to repeatedly tell his assistant (not really holding it against him, he doesn't know these things) not to help me with the battery, because it was visibly venting and I didn't want any sparks.

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,344 Posts
Those are nice cans. They are similar to the dual Moroso cans I have in my STi. Where did you route the drain?
Nice piece of kit indeed.
I had two choices : wheel well or under the bottom engine cover close to the airscoop.
When a buddy of mine said his petcocks freeze during winter I chickened out and will drain them with a syringe + rubber tube :).

·
Super Moderator
14,048 Posts
I went to the Honda shop to buy a Honda.

1. The E is a lot bigger than it looks, it actually dwarfs a 2004 Civic.

2. I have no idea how they do their gearbox linkages. It feels like a direct connection to the gearbox even though it isn't because they're FWD.

·
toast toast!
1,183 Posts
I went to the Honda shop to buy a Honda.

1. The E is a lot bigger than it looks, it actually dwarfs a 2004 Civic.

2. I have no idea how they do their gearbox linkages. It feels like a direct connection to the gearbox even though it isn't because they're FWD.
Wait, a 70 plate? They issuing those already?

·
Super Moderator
14,048 Posts
Wait, a 70 plate? They issuing those already?

Apparently. It's supposed to be from the 1st of Sept to the 1st of March I believe. There were a few 70 plates there.

·
Eastern Bloc Electronics
1,625 Posts
Honda E is not FWD, it's RWD.

Since there is no shaft and the motor is fairly compact the RWD configuration is not taking away user space.
And it allows better turning radius which is really beneficial for city-oriented cars.

Unless you mean other Honda.
At least in my City there are fairly standard steel cables going under the middle console.
Only fifth gear requires some force, the rest is really smooth.
But I rarely use it in city driving so no problem.

·
Super Moderator
14,048 Posts
Honda E is not FWD, it's RWD.

Since there is no shaft and the motor is fairly compact the RWD configuration is not taking away user space.
And it allows better turning radius which is really beneficial for city-oriented cars.

Unless you mean other Honda.
At least in my City there are fairly standard steel cables going under the middle console.
Only fifth gear requires some force, the rest is really smooth.
But I rarely use it in city driving so no problem.

They only had 2 Es, both were customer cars. They didn't even have one in the showroom. The cars that were test driven is a 2018 Jazz 1.5 and 2017 Civic 1L Turbo.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,870 Posts

I'm liking the look of the new Bronco more than I thought I would. Wonder who will be the first to put a 5.0 V8 in it.

·
I can count to potato
709 Posts
I like the new Bronco too. 10 years from now I could see myself picking up a base model with a stick as a weekend trail beater. I wouldn't be surprised if someone drops an LS in one before a 5.0 though.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,870 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,628 Posts
Welp, got a big old bolt or something in one of the Durango tires. I swear all the flats we've had only like one has been able to be patched. Stupid debris seems to always love the shoulder of the tire. I could've probably got another 5k-10k out of the tires but I don't like mismatched tires and they weren't particularly great tires to begin with (OEM Goodyear Forteras) so I went ahead and got some new ones. Went with Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS Plus II. First time buying Pirellis. They have pretty good reviews and were priced a little between the Contis and Michelins. I would've gone Conti as I really liked the Contis we had on the Accord a while back, but the reviews said they were a bit soft and numb, and honestly the Durango drives pretty well for it's size so I don't really want a numb tire. Price was a bit of a sting since they're 20s. Oh well.

55301 - 55320 of 55346 Posts