Overclock.net banner

55321 - 55340 of 55346 Posts

·
Official Luddite of OCN
5,675 Posts
Welp, got a big old bolt or something in one of the Durango tires. I swear all the flats we've had only like one has been able to be patched. Stupid debris seems to always love the shoulder of the tire. I could've probably got another 5k-10k out of the tires but I don't like mismatched tires and they weren't particularly great tires to begin with (OEM Goodyear Forteras) so I went ahead and got some new ones. Went with Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS Plus II. First time buying Pirellis. They have pretty good reviews and were priced a little between the Contis and Michelins. I would've gone Conti as I really liked the Contis we had on the Accord a while back, but the reviews said they were a bit soft and numb, and honestly the Durango drives pretty well for it's size so I don't really want a numb tire. Price was a bit of a sting since they're 20s. Oh well.
I know the feeling. Within the first week of gettin my G37 I ended up having a leak in the driver rear. Previous owner put on Michelin Defender's which mind you, are fine for a lightweight econobox with zero intention of performance (and a 80k mile treadlife warranty). Plenty of tread left on them but they were more expensive than the UHP General G-Max AS-05's so I swapped all four. Car comes stock with summer tires, but with the amount of driving I do the G-Max's are a great compromise and do great in both dry/rain as performance tires. Sure, they are no pilot sports but I'm not tracking this car, either. Ive always liked them because they weigh less than most other brands by a few pounds (for example, on my prior 195/50/16's most were 19-21lbs while these were 17lbs) Yes, lighter tire means less material but knock on wood they've held up great.

Had the AS-03's and the AS-05's previously on my 2500lb 138hp econobox and they did well, but now they are on a 3600lb 328hp sedan so we'll see how long they last.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Installed a stiffer rear sway bar + end links in the Alltrack over the weekend.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,870 Posts
I loved the Hankook RS-3's but they were definitely a good weather summer only tire. I could only fit 225's (or was it 235's) without sheet metal mods + new wheels, and the grip afforded by even that skinny of a tire was in a category all its own compared to the other tires I used. Though this was on a 2300Lb car with severe grip issues - Who knows how semi slicks like that would work on a heavier car.

·
Super Moderator
14,047 Posts

·
Official Luddite of OCN
5,675 Posts
Yes, lighter tire means less material but knock on wood they've held up great.

Had the AS-03's and the AS-05's previously on my 2500lb 138hp econobox and they did well, but now they are on a 3600lb 328hp sedan so we'll see how long they last.
And days after posting this guess who runs into a large nail and has a complete flat on said tire! Luckily it was patchable and holding air fine, but I'll replace the tire shortly to be safe.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,870 Posts
Still getting these emails from the society of automotive engineers. Appears like they are looking for white paper submissions.

·
Super Moderator
4,029 Posts
So I dropped my car for service yesterday and they said it might be done today or Monday. Well the finished today and sent me a text at 3:30 that they are open for pickup until 3:45...

Yup I'm gonna get it Monday.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
All the talk about expensive tires makes me laugh with my $30 Linglong Greenmax tires on my 206cc GTI lol.. I mean, I had a set of 4 laying around brand new from some trade I did a year ago and they were the exact size I needed for my rims (205-45-17) so I just slapped them on and so far they exceed every expectation I ever had for such cheap tires. They wear like mad with how soft the compound is but handle way way better then I expected for just temporary tires. I'll probably swap them for Hankook Ventus Prime 3's when they wear out...

I also found me a new possible project.
A '97 gen 5 Prelude with a super clean rust-free body and a mint interior with a nice set of Daiyama coilovers, a SRS stainless catback and AEZ 17's already on it. It even has a manual. Only downside is it's just a base EUDM 2.0i F20A4 engine with 291k km on it.

Would be a very nice candidate for a H22/H23 swap with how cheap it is though with the F20 5 speed manual being a bolt-on fit on a H22/H23 with just a clutch and a lightweight flywheel.

I am however doubting whether I want another Prelude with a H swap or a B6 Audi A4 1.8t for my next tuning project...

·
LTSC for life crew
2,870 Posts
Preludes are fun cars but it's getting harder to source replacement parts for them as they get older. The Audi's probably the more sensible choice so long as it's not been previously modded, but really it comes down to what looks like more fun to you.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Preludes are fun cars but it's getting harder to source replacement parts for them as they get older. The Audi's probably the more sensible choice so long as it's not been previously modded, but really it comes down to what looks like more fun to you.
I've had a gen 5 Prelude before that I shouldn't have sold back then but it was quite rough and didn't have the money back then to swap a proper engine in it. I do miss it but the B6 Audi's are pretty expensive here lol. A decent 1.8t one with no mods and a lower milage (let's say 100k miles / 160k km or less) would go for well over €4k here and a Prelude like this one goes for like, €1000-1500. Then again, a H swap will add like 2k to that so.. choices choices..

I'm not really concerned about parts availability here. We have a few dedicated honda shops here with pretty much anything I would need readily in stock so for now no issues there.

·
toast toast!
1,183 Posts
If you dont mind RHD, buy a UK A4. They go for half that here. My brother once sold one to a guy who flew over from Switzerland. The window regulator failed (typical VW product) and he had to drive it all the way back with the window down.

Got a new wheel. Makes quite a difference. The old one was one of those early 90s pillow airbag wheels, except it didn't actually have an airbag. The firmness of the wood transmits a lot more feel through as well than the leather one did. More of a difference than i expected.

Word of warning though, the Nardi wheel itself is nice, but the boss is crap. They had drilled and tapped two threads out of place by a few millimetres, just enough so the wheel wouldn't bolt up to it. In the end had to run a smaller nut and bolt through there. For how much they charge, I'd have expected better. We also can't seem to get it fully centred, it's either off one way or the other, but that could be due to tracking.

I might have a sticking rear brake though. I only rebuilt the calipers a few months ago, perhaps they need a bit of exercise. They're inboard which is a total pain.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I don't really mind RHD, driven a few (R33 GTST, FTO) but not owned one myself. But with how plentiful LHD A4's are I don't mind waiting for a bit to find a good deal on one. I mean, I got my 206cc, I got my daily focus wagon, I don't really need it per se I just want a new project since the 206cc is pretty much done after 2 years of work with the exception of it still needing a head refresh, shaved down a bit, new cam bearings, head gasket, new hydraulic lifters, clean the valves of 220k km of carbon, and maybe I'll just put in a set of CatCams in it as it's apart anyway if I can get them from the UK with the whole brexit import taxes..

·
Official Luddite of OCN
5,675 Posts
All the talk about expensive tires makes me laugh with my $30 Linglong Greenmax tires on my 206cc GTI lol.. I mean, I had a set of 4 laying around brand new from some trade I did a year ago and they were the exact size I needed for my rims (205-45-17) so I just slapped them on and so far they exceed every expectation I ever had for such cheap tires. They wear like mad with how soft the compound is but handle way way better then I expected for just temporary tires. I'll probably swap them for Hankook Ventus Prime 3's when they wear out...

I also found me a new possible project.
A '97 gen 5 Prelude with a super clean rust-free body and a mint interior with a nice set of Daiyama coilovers, a SRS stainless catback and AEZ 17's already on it. It even has a manual. Only downside is it's just a base EUDM 2.0i F20A4 engine with 291k km on it.

Would be a very nice candidate for a H22/H23 swap with how cheap it is though with the F20 5 speed manual being a bolt-on fit on a H22/H23 with just a clutch and a lightweight flywheel.

I am however doubting whether I want another Prelude with a H swap or a B6 Audi A4 1.8t for my next tuning project...
I had a '98 5th Gen Prelude for about a year. Was in love with the car but it was a poor purchase simply due to lack of research on my end.

I kind of stumbled on the car at a lot and they wanted pretty cheap for it (180k on the h22) BUT it had an auto. I figured I could just swap in a manual in due time with when doing an engine refresh. Oil leak city, auto transmissions were prone to failure (this one was rebuilt 30k mile ago and was failing again within a few weeks of my ownership). Nothing like losing 4th gear on the highway at 70mph and having the rpm's scream.

However, for a FWD car that thing was special. It felt like such a perfect highway cruiser and with the sun roof on cool nights I loved the thing. Even with crappy summer tires it handled so flat. I tried to repair as much as I could but previous owner's neglect was just too much for my wallet to take. Last straw was when the coolant line burst on me on my way back from work. Thankfully it was not even a mile from my house when it happened considering the trip was 35+ miles each way.

Even driving my G37 now I still think about the prelude's characteristics (Despite the G37 being better in every category). If I had the money and space for a project one, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Car got tons of attention in San Marino red - not like I wanted it, but people always asked about it.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
My old one had a cambelt service coming up @ 240k km, broken ECU that would randomly cut the engine off on the highway and a proper big dent in the passenger door and this was like 8 years ago, they didn't have much value back then and I didn't have much money either due to still being in school so in stead of a 2k+ service I just traded it in for a cheap daily french box (Renault Laguna).

Biggest mistake I ever made car wise lol. But yeah, I miss it. A lot. Now I got the money to do it just not really the space. Normal work is fine outside in the driveway but a full H swap outside with no lift, just quick jacks? Not too sure about that one lol.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,870 Posts
Those stories remind me of my Nissan 240SX (Nissan 180SX in europe, AKA S13) that I stumbled onto not really knowing anything about them. Bought it for $1100 because the owner lived with his dad and his dad was punishing him for something (I feel bad they'd sell his car tho...). It handled completely unlike anything else, excepting for a first gen Miata. And I should have never sold it. I got rid of it because it was taking my focus away from my school studies, but I could have just as easily rented a storage unit and parked it there until I graduated. Would have cost less in the long run than paying the high prices they go for now.

Am probably going to end up buying another one, hopefully as close to stock as one can be found these days, and paying 3x what it's worth just to get myself a 240. o_O

·
Nobody
6,463 Posts
Gotta Love cars and coffee, get to see so many cars I'll never afford.
Snapchat-2118003321 (1).jpg

·
toast toast!
1,183 Posts
Sold my van :(

Shame it's gone but I really had no use for it any more.

·
toast toast!
1,183 Posts
I've already got Corona thanks.

·
Official Luddite of OCN
5,675 Posts
Speaking of expensive cars and corollas, I had a beater 97 Corolla and a brand new Ferrari 458 and I both decided we would use the same middle turn lane at the same time while being on opposite sides of the road. Never hit my brakes so hard in my life.

55321 - 55340 of 55346 Posts