Overclock.net banner

55461 - 55480 of 55488 Posts

·
LTSC for life crew
3,261 Posts
It doesn't really get that cold here but I still wish I knew a friend with a lift. I just hate doing things on jack stands.

I also grew up riding around in older trucks so I'm used to it. I almost scooped up a great deal on a 74 a couple years ago. Unfortunately that same ex-wife came along and refused to let me buy it.
There is a thing called a quick jack that I saw at costco. Apparently it's a huge hit with the Porsche guys and I'm thinking about just parting with the $1200 to have my own 5000lb driveway lift from now on. QuickJack Models - Portable Car Lifts - Car Lifts

Yeah I hear you about the ex. My ex fiance talked me into selling my motorcycle, my LS swapped S10, and my 240sx. Boy do I sometimes wish I hadn't listened to her. Sold it all for well below what it was worth too, so I could buy an engagement ring and later furniture for my place.... :(

It was goofy though as the market for second hand anything here in Wisco is all sorts of weird. Had a lot of people offering to trade me random things for the vehicles, but very rarely would anybody offer actual cash.

·
I can count to potato
767 Posts
Yep I've seen the quick jacks. Home depot sells them and you can occasionally catch a pretty good sale on them. Eventually I'll grab a set.

Selling those 240's probably stings the most now that it's impossible to find a clean one for a reasonable price.

It's not just there... The weirdos come out of the woodwork for every vehicle I've had to sell in the last few years. Within a day I had 20+ people messaging me about the damn truck... Had an offer for a jeep + a "raceing 4wheller " Which I'm assuming was a real gem lol. I'm more of a 2 stroke dirt bike guy if I were willing to trade for something like that. Also had offers for a bunch of shrimping nets, a Chevy Cobalt, and several really low Ca$h iN hAnD offers from people that never even looked at it in person.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Well, i just scored my new project car after many many failed attemps of people swearing there's no rust yet whe you get there it's rusted from the arch to the gas cap lol.

I finally found a 95% rust-free '97 Civic LS 4 door. 208k km, flawless interior, no rust whatsoever except on the edge of the hood which i don't care about.
The clear coat is gone and the BBS alloys are quite rough and the right axle is making a terrible noise around roundabouts but it has a spare in the trunk.
Even got a second set of original alloys with dry rotted winter tires in the deal.

All in all 1200 bucks for this thing is not bad. Engine is a D15Z6 (EUDM D15 VTEC-E, basically a D16Y8 with a Eco cam profile) with perfect history, zero oil leakage and a major service done. All new gaskets valve cover, throttlebody, new radiator, new aircon condensor, alternator, all the stuff. It even has the original airbox and exhaust.

My plans are quite simple, either D16Y8 head swap and a EK/EJ coupe short ratio gearbox for a ~150HP minime build and then turbo later or straight K20A4 / A6 swap from a CRV or accord depending on whether i can get a short ratio gearbox cheap or not.

·
LTSC for life crew
3,261 Posts
Nice. So when you say scored you mean you already have the Honda and are getting ready to start making it into a project? Or you just found one nearby that you like for a good price?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Nice. So when you say scored you mean you already have the Honda and are getting ready to start making it into a project? Or you just found one nearby that you like for a good price?
I bought it straight away. Just waiting for insurance to clear and pick it up but title is in my name and it's paid for.

First order for parts is going out tomorrow. Starting with new brakes all round (probably Zimmermann discs and pads) and a new driveshaft. And probably going to put some fresh tires on the stock alloys so that I can measure up amount of mm drop to pick out a set of coilovers that go low enough.

I also saw a pre-decked D16Z9 head offered locally which would be a nice starting upgrade with that head basically being a Z6/Y8 head and thus having way better VTEC angles and aftermarket cam support along with better flow and it being 100% bolt-on with a new head gasket and D16 intake / TB.

·
toast toast!
1,204 Posts
I began stripping down the fuel, induction and ignition on the V12 today. (In order to change plugs, and deal with some oil leaks) Although all the fuel rail and crap has to come off, it is possible to remove almost everything, the rail, both inlet manifolds and a other bits all in one assembly which will help reduce the chances of anything going wrong. So far so good. I need to be very careful with the injection wiring loom, they are known to be very fragile by this age. Worst case I'll have to make a new one.

I have already found work though. The wires going to an air temperature sensor have been previously been twisted around. As a result they stripped and shorted against themselves, which doesn't exactly help. It turns out that sensor is only used for minor trimming of the injection pulses, not the actual main running of the engine. Very strange. Not to be confused with a second air temperature switch on the other side of the engine that is used for the ignition timing, which is a completely separate system from the fuel injection...

·
Registered
3,079 Posts

I only got one pic still saved. I'll pick it up Saturday if insurance has cleared by then.

I'll have to drive it home with a clunky right side driveshaft I guess but it will probably survive the 20km drive lol.

It's an EK3 pre facelift 4 door sedan.

·
I can count to potato
767 Posts
I like it. I've never had a Honda but always been interested. Eventually I want to own a Midori green EK hatch.

@speed_demon I tossed that pulley in my watch list, but I doubt I'll get it. Seems like a lot of effort for very little results. I also had a guy I was trying to buy a hard top from hit me up and offer a set of slicks for $100. I'm tempted just for the memes. Gotta get some hoooosiers for the track day bro. Also my stock 14x6 wheels have 19 year old tires so literally anything would be more useful.

Edit: speaking of useful... I didn't ever mention it but now that it's dark by the time I get off work I finally decided to upgrade my headlights last weekend. Went from 40/60w sealed beams to Hella E Code housings with regular H4 55/60w bulbs. Much better.

·
LTSC for life crew
3,261 Posts
I bought it straight away. Just waiting for insurance to clear and pick it up but title is in my name and it's paid for.

First order for parts is going out tomorrow. Starting with new brakes all round (probably Zimmermann discs and pads) and a new driveshaft. And probably going to put some fresh tires on the stock alloys so that I can measure up amount of mm drop to pick out a set of coilovers that go low enough.

I also saw a pre-decked D16Z9 head offered locally which would be a nice starting upgrade with that head basically being a Z6/Y8 head and thus having way better VTEC angles and aftermarket cam support along with better flow and it being 100% bolt-on with a new head gasket and D16 intake / TB.
Wait why did insurance pick it up? And why do they have to clear it? I get the feeling insurance operates very differently in Europe compared to the US.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Wait why did insurance pick it up? And why do they have to clear it? I get the feeling insurance operates very differently in Europe compared to the US.
I got a bad rep for insurance since they suspected me of being a dealer without a dealer license as I bought and sold / scrapped a bunch of project cars.

Now all my insurance requests for new vehicles have to be manually reviewed and cleared by an agent.

As we are not allowed to leave a uninsured vehicle ok public parking i had a mate pick it up and stash it at his place. Insurance cleared now and I picked it up.

It has a terrible driveshaft rattle as I already knew and alignment leaves much to be desired (it drives straight but the wheel is like 3-5 degrees off center lol) but it's great! Runs and drives fine otherwise.

Found out it has brand new pretty much everything. Like, every gasket and replaceable part under the hood has been done. Look how clean this thing looks now lol.

I did have to replace the rear speakers as they are blown and the head unit is pretty old but I had a set of Alpines laying around with the proper size and they sound great.

I did also source me some Gen 4 Prelude seats on EG rails which are easily made to fit an EK.

First 2 major upgrades, a proper set of D2/BC/Tein coilovers and a nice Momo, D2 or QSP or something steering wheel with a hub. This model doesn't even have airbags so nice and easy there lol.

·
Super Moderator
14,112 Posts
I got a bad rep for insurance since they suspected me of being a dealer without a dealer license as I bought and sold / scrapped a bunch of project cars.

Now all my insurance requests for new vehicles have to be manually reviewed and cleared by an agent.

As we are not allowed to leave a uninsured vehicle ok public parking i had a mate pick it up and stash it at his place. Insurance cleared now and I picked it up.

It has a terrible driveshaft rattle as I already knew and alignment leaves much to be desired (it drives straight but the wheel is like 3-5 degrees off center lol) but it's great! Runs and drives fine otherwise.

Found out it has brand new pretty much everything. Like, every gasket and replaceable part under the hood has been done. Look how clean this thing looks now lol.

View attachment 2466318

I did have to replace the rear speakers as they are blown and the head unit is pretty old but I had a set of Alpines laying around with the proper size and they sound great.

I did also source me some Gen 4 Prelude seats on EG rails which are easily made to fit an EK.

First 2 major upgrades, a proper set of D2/BC/Tein coilovers and a nice Momo, D2 or QSP or something steering wheel with a hub. This model doesn't even have airbags so nice and easy there lol.
K20A swap and put Spoon components on. Also paint is Spoon colours.

·
LTSC for life crew
3,261 Posts

View attachment 2466318

That is one very clean engine bay! I like the project already haha.

But I do have one quite important thing to say - Skip the D2/BC/Tein coilovers and go for a ground control conversion kit and Koni shocks and struts. It's much lower cost and will have exponentially better handling and exponentially better comfort at the same time - You even get to specify what spring rate and usage your conversion kit will be made to order for. CIVIC/CRX/DEL SOL COILOVER CONVERSION

If you were to crawl underneath the top tier Autocrossing Hondas like yours you would see the ground control/Koni setup on 75% of the cars. I discovered much the same for the 240SX cars myself. And after a ride in one of the GC/Koni cars it's like night and day compared to a coilover setup. I have a coilover conversion set in my garage waiting for new struts to go on my Avalon right now :).

·
Super Moderator
3,662 Posts
Pour one out for my FireStik. Probably weakened it by hitting it on the garage door every time I pull in and out. Should've gotten a spring but I thought the point of FireStiks were that they could flex. Made a nice little trail repair. Still works but I'll order a new one and a spring.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
K20A swap and put Spoon components on. Also paint is Spoon colours.
K20A swap was on my mind but a K20A engine is very difficult to source here in Holland as we didn't get many cars with them in it. At least not the good ones. Most accords and such here come with K20A4 or K20A6's or K24Z engines.

I specifically bought a EUDM D15Z6 model (that motor only came in EUDM models) which is a D15 block with VTEC-E head. These blocks can be bolt-on paired with a D16Y8 / D16Z6 head and intake and have the perfect compression ratio for running with a turbo and there are many many turbo D16Z6 / Y8 "minime" head conversions here.

As for the suspension, I know ground control is probably better but that is way way more expensive here then just a €900 BC or €650 D2 setup and it's more for looks then function. I mean. I could just get a €200 TA Technix kit but yeah. There's a limit to "cheap-o" lol.

·
Super Moderator
3,662 Posts
K swap in an EK is a decent bit of work as well.

I still miss my EJ8 sometimes. If I had enough money and room for as many cars as I wanted an EK of some sort would find its place there. Once I pay off the Tacoma I'll probably try to find a Miata or MR-S though.

·
LTSC for life crew
3,261 Posts
As for the suspension, I know ground control is probably better but that is way way more expensive here then just a €900 BC or €650 D2 setup and it's more for looks then function. I mean. I could just get a €200 TA Technix kit but yeah. There's a limit to "cheap-o" lol.
Wait, what? The ground control setup is €550 including the shocks & struts and shipping to europe.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Wait, what? The ground control setup is €550 including the shocks & struts and shipping to europe.
I thought that was excluding the 21% vat and ridiculous customs fees to Holland lol. I mean, I can obviously get the shocks locally but with the kit itself being 399 USD I don't see how it can be that cheap unless the kit includes the shocks.

·
LTSC for life crew
3,261 Posts
No shocks included I just went to checkout and used a random swedish zip code I found on google. Wasn't aware you were in holland either lol. Must've gotten my european countries mixed up. (My great great grand parents came to the us from sweden lol)

I unboxed & looked over the headers today for the first time. The workmanship is better than I've come to know from made in china exhaust parts. It uses these absurdly thick exhaust flanges and massively thick wall pipe that surprised me as well. I'm used to working with schedule 40 and occasionally schedule 80 pipe at my old work, and this wall is similar to the super strong schedule 80 stuff. So that's great but it's going to weigh 5x what the original equipment did lol.

I also have a mig welder and nice helmet now so I can do some work on the remainder of the exhaust that the headers don't replace. Still deciding what muffler I want to go with. It needs to be quiet is all I know at this point.

·
Super Moderator
3,662 Posts
Dirty

55461 - 55480 of 55488 Posts