Overclock.net banner

55481 - 55500 of 55595 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
No shocks included I just went to checkout and used a random swedish zip code I found on google. Wasn't aware you were in holland either lol. Must've gotten my european countries mixed up. (My great great grand parents came to the us from sweden lol)

I unboxed & looked over the headers today for the first time. The workmanship is better than I've come to know from made in china exhaust parts. It uses these absurdly thick exhaust flanges and massively thick wall pipe that surprised me as well. I'm used to working with schedule 40 and occasionally schedule 80 pipe at my old work, and this wall is similar to the super strong schedule 80 stuff. So that's great but it's going to weigh 5x what the original equipment did lol.

I also have a mig welder and nice helmet now so I can do some work on the remainder of the exhaust that the headers don't replace. Still deciding what muffler I want to go with. It needs to be quiet is all I know at this point.
I also bought a cheap full exhaust system for the Civic which is not quite China spec (SK-Import brand) but it isn't high-end stuff like Spoon or something either. Was about €500 for the full 2" system, header, cat replacement, mid section and muffler with flamed tip.

Curious to see how good the workmanship is on that header when it arrives here. It does seem to have the same thick flange style you mentioned.

Also ordered a set of Riaction street coilovers and some interior bits.

Already spend more in parts then the car cost lol.. and I still gotta do the brakes and rims + tires..

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,395 Posts
S2ks are stupid prices, it's annoying.

·
Super Moderator
14,121 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
K so, gen 4 prelude seats are installed in the EK. So much better lol.

Exhaust came in as well and I was pleasantly surprised by the overall quality of the welds and flanges.

Also in the process of mounting a D1 Spec hub and QSP steering wheel but it's missing the ground wire for the horn lol. Gotta fab something up for that.

Radio and speakers are done as well. Sounds great with the Alpines and a decent JVC headunit.

Next up, brakes, tires and maybe different rims.

·
toast toast!
1,211 Posts

Well, all 12 plugs replaced today. Given what is in the service history and the gap size, it would appear that half of them were 20 years old. Much easier with all the manifold gone, but I was worried about stripping the threads, but by being careful and soaking them they came out without much drama.

I've decided to make a new injector wiring loom. For some idiotic reason Jaguar used 70c rated PVC wire running along the top of the engine in "death valley". The insulation goes bad and the connections to the the injectors eventually fail. I noticed four have already been replaced, and a couple are in need of replacement, so I might as well make a new loom out of 260c PTFE wire. That stuff proved to be a nightmare to get hold of in the UK at the right gauge, in lengths of less than 100m, but I managed it and it's on its way.

Next thing to do is clean up that filthy engine! Also need to order some paint and some hose, and remove the secondary air injection's useless vacuum spaghetti.

·
I can count to potato
811 Posts
Picked up MiataRoadster short shift kit on sale for $50 off. It was still $315 but it's by far the most inclusive and highly recommended kit that replaces everything.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I'm still debating getting a shortshifter for my Civic EK3 sedan but I don't wanna do all the work of putting one on this S40 B000 gearbox when I know I'm going to be swapping the gearbox for a EG S20 A000 box anyway..

I did just order a set of new wheels + center rings + nuts for the EK. Japan Racing JR3 16x7 ET40 4x100 ;). Only cost €460 for the set with everything included and tax.

Going to put some 195-45-16's on it. Dunno which tires specifically yet.. I never run new tires and usually just buy some 30% wear tires from the local tire yard. Cheaper and way more environmentally friendly :).

·
I can count to potato
811 Posts
Yea no point if you're swapping the box soon. Those wheels should look nice on there and be easer to keep clean than mesh wheels. I just ordered a set of snow tires to put on my stock wheels. Checked the date code on the dry rotted all seasons that came with the car... 19 years old o_O

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Yea no point if you're swapping the box soon. Those wheels should look nice on there and be easer to keep clean than mesh wheels. I just ordered a set of snow tires to put on my stock wheels. Checked the date code on the dry rotted all seasons that came with the car... 19 years old o_O
It has a set of 15" BBS meshes on it now yeah. I also have the stock alloys with winter tires that probably aren't much better condition then yours lol. Then again, we don't get real winters anymore so..

·
Eastern Bloc Electronics
1,682 Posts
Oh, I was just checking the datecode on my winter tires.
Just when the car was bought from the dealer.
I think the summer tires are the same, as the car only has ~47kkm up to this point.

So yeah, this car really needs a fresh set of tires.

I think it's finally time to install a BT module there, those things cost pennies, under 1USD.
I already have one, which I purchased just in case. Currently I'm connecting my headphones BT adapter (same module, small BMS module and a 1000-something mAh Lipo cell) to the aux port.
One time I forgot the adapter and well, the damn jack port on my phone is dead for good (not making a good contact, which stops the music during each braking).
And I hate listening to the radio, engine and wind noise is less irritating.

·
I can count to potato
811 Posts
Yea we don't get real winters here on the beach. I have been running Falken Azenis summer tires year round the last couple years and just drove my truck on the rare days where it was below the recommended safe temp for those tires. Just sold the truck though and where I'm moving soon gets snow so I figured might as well get the snow tires now.

I have a pile of old iPods that I rotate through. The old headunit I have can control the iPods over USB, but it doesn't have Bluetooth. It's still better than listening to the radio and I don't want to install anything flashy enough to warrant my top getting slashed.

·
LTSC for life crew
3,404 Posts
So you are joining us in the great white north I take it? Best to buy a really good jacket like a North Face or Columbia asap. I picked up a really nice $240 Columbia jacket on Amazon for $59 early november so there's no need to pay full retail for them either.

·
I can count to potato
811 Posts
Lol not going that far North, just Cincinnati. I still have some warm clothes from when I lived in Kansas.

Tire rack actually called me the day after I ordered those tires because the tire totes I also ordered were backordered. Told em to just send the whole order when the totes came in since I don't actually need the tires right now. Was out driving with the top down last night. Still 50 degrees after dark. Took a trunk load of wood over to a friends house and hung out around the firepit for a few hours.

·
LTSC for life crew
3,404 Posts
That's still far enough north to freeze your buns off, lol.

Noticed on the Jeep that it's taking longer and longer to go from Park - Drive or Reverse - Drive, even with everything all warmed up and running nicely. Adding this 3 or 4 second delay with shifting onto the part where it rolls backwards in Drive on inclines and I'm getting a teensy bit worried here. Still seems to work normally for most driving and shifts smoothly into all the gears so I dunno what to think. Maybe I'll hurry up on the fluid & filter change and see if anything improves.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I'm waiting for my brakes to arrive. Got some drilled brembo discs and matching pads for the front on the EK Civic. It has rear drums and I can't be bothered to do a disc conversion as I'd have to re-do the master, booster, half the lines and all that so I hope the front upgrade over stock ATE pads and worn rotors make enough of a difference to give a proper brake feel.

I'm not running crazy power so. Haven't dynoed it yet but it should make about 140bhp at the wheels with the current setup once everything is done. D15Z6 block, D16Y8 head, 10.8:1 compression, Y8 injectors and intake, full 2" exhaust, cat delete and a remap.

·
LTSC for life crew
3,404 Posts
I'm waiting for my brakes to arrive. Got some drilled brembo discs and matching pads for the front on the EK Civic. It has rear drums and I can't be bothered to do a disc conversion as I'd have to re-do the master, booster, half the lines and all that so I hope the front upgrade over stock ATE pads and worn rotors make enough of a difference to give a proper brake feel.

I'm not running crazy power so. Haven't dynoed it yet but it should make about 140bhp at the wheels with the current setup once everything is done. D15Z6 block, D16Y8 head, 10.8:1 compression, Y8 injectors and intake, full 2" exhaust, cat delete and a remap.
140 at the wheels is not bad at all for a 1.5 engine. That's turbo territory for sure on any other small displacement four I know of. Where are you learning about this block + head combo out of curiosity? I would like to read up a bit on this myself. Is this information from Honda-tech?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Yeah, that forum is a gold mine. I doubt the numbers myself as with that low of a compression I don't see it making 140 at the wheels. Crank maybe but wheel?

I'm waiting for my OBD1 conversion harness for one. And the headgaskets.

I haven't inspected the head yet either. It's just a junker head from a parts car that I got for €100 so.. haha.

At the moment it's still running stock head and intake but the exhaust is already on it and decat as well. Stock it should be 114bhp (crank) so I'm hoping to see that at the wheels now.

Another thing I'm looking for is a S20/S40 B000 code gearbox. It has shorter 2nd, 3rd, 4th and final drive which would help a lot as my model (a LS VTEC-E) has the econobox transmission with horrible long gears.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
FINALLY found time to get coilovers wrapped up for the Alltrack; I've had parts sitting around for months. Gives it much more of a sports car feel: far stiffer than stock but not really harsh, and at least an inch and a half lower iirc. Still getting quite a bit of roll, but that's probably due to the tall tire sidewalls. Massively less pitch under acceleration now. Love the way it looks too.

Next are wheels, tires, and catback, but all of those will take a while to ship since I got 'em on Black Friday so they're on low stock.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Nice, I personally like the original wheels a lot tho. What kinda wheels you looking for?

Of course the EK had to have something wrong with it lol.

I got my brembo brakes in and left side went super smooth, nothing got stuck and the caliper and piston move nicely.

IMG_20201208_142434.jpg

The right side however had a much older more worn caliper and of course the piston is completely seized... Couldn't even get it to move with a vice and a 32mm socket pushing on it.

Guess I'll be swapping the caliper for a re-man or a new one and have to bleed the brakes. If there is one thing I hate it's bleeding brakes lol.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Nice, I personally like the original wheels a lot tho. What kinda wheels you looking for?

Of course the EK had to have something wrong with it lol.

I got my brembo brakes in and left side went super smooth, nothing got stuck and the caliper and piston move nicely.

View attachment 2468475

The right side however had a much older more worn caliper and of course the piston is completely seized... Couldn't even get it to move with a vice and a 32mm socket pushing on it.

Guess I'll be swapping the caliper for a re-man or a new one and have to bleed the brakes. If there is one thing I hate it's bleeding brakes lol.
Looks good! Or at least the left side anyways, haha.

I like the OEM Canyon wheels too, but I'm shooting for a set of gunmetal VMR V710s. Always loved that style and I think a darker color is more my preference. Everything on VMR's site was 25% off for Black Friday, so that ended up being over $200 in savings.

55481 - 55500 of 55595 Posts