Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Some time ago, we conducted a review of a new PCIe Card called the IOSwitch Raijin and it was constructed of a M.2 to PCIe x4 adapter, along with the Plextor M6e native PCIe M.2 (NGFF) 256GB SSD. At the time, the M6e was an unreleased SSD and it seemed that even Plextor was caught off guard at the publicity that report received, politely asking us to lay low with our M6e samples for a while. A few days back, we received the 512GB version of the M6e PCIe M.2 SSD and within the packaging, we found an included PCIe X4 adapter which was a bit unexpected.

In our Plextor coverage this past January at CES, Plextor displayed their M6e PCIe M.2 SSD, as well as a separate product called the M6e HHHF (above) that included the adapter card to maximize system compatibility. Receipt of our product sample confirmed that the M6e will be available as a M.2 SSD alone, or with the M.2 to PCIe adapter as a PCIe solution to maximize compatibility. For us, the added benefit of also possessing the M6e 256GB capacity M.2 SSD is that we can do a bit of RAID 0 testing with the two cards.
SOURCE

Ah yeah!
drunken.gif
When OCZ stopped producing RevoDrives, there wasn't much in the way of PCIe-based SSDs in the consumer market. There's the overpriced, underpowered ASUS RoG RAIDR but that's really it. RAID 0 drives perform better with the same or more than double the capacity (2x256GiB). You can grab a refurbished OCZ drive, but 1) it's OCZ, 2) it's refurbed, and 3) it gets outperformed by higher-end SATA drives in all but sequential performance. I hope M.2 ends up similarly priced to mSATA. These next few years will be quite interesting.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spice003 View Post

wow did they have to make the card so big:rolleyes:
I know right? Much PCB, wow few components

·
Super Moderator
9,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You ever see the inside of a 2.5" drive? It's unnecessarily massive. The PCBs only need to be a fifth or so the length of the drive. I guess it's just easier to have the PCB fill the entire shell. Look at the SSD in the WD Black^2.

I predict Samsung makes a 2TB M.2 drive by 2015. Anybody want to bet?
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

You ever see the inside of a 2.5" drive? It's unnecessarily massive. The PCBs only need to be a fifth or so the length of the drive. I guess it's just easier to have the PCB fill the entire shell. Look at the SSD in the WD Black^2.

I predict Samsung makes a 2TB M.2 drive by 2015. Anybody want to bet?
biggrin.gif
isn't that really messsed up one, where you have chance to install part of your files to the SSD part?

·
Super Moderator
9,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoublejj View Post

isn't that really messsed up one, where you have chance to install part of your files to the SSD part?
It's a good extension of the hybrid drive concept, but the SSD sucks. JMicron?!
puke.gif
I'd take SandForce and asynchronous NAND over that. Then it requires a Windows machine to unlock the HDD because they couldn't be bothered to write a UNIX program for Mac or Linux users. Seriously, WD should have just taken that 1TB drive and stuck 64GB of NAND for a cache on it. Seagate would panic as they (finally) upgrade their SSHDs from an 8GB cache to 64GB or even 128GB.

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
well hopefully a better 2TB version comes out, that's what i need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts