1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,768 Posts
Y tho

good news is, the screen and stand are just 10% of the total cost.

its not even oled? :p

·
Registered
140 Posts
I might just be out of the loop on these products, but this is the first images I'm seeing of this design... does it look like a cheese grater to anyone else?

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
God damn I know corporations use a lot of resources but what could possibly use/need ‘RAM: 1.5TB of 2933MHz RAM’? Out of curiosity.

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts
Why hasnt Apple taken any of the feedback yet and designed a new case so people stop making fun of their cheese grater?

God damn I know corporations use a lot of resources but what could possibly use/need ‘RAM: 1.5TB of 2933MHz RAM’? Out of curiosity.

Maybe a movie studio can fit an entire raw movie file(s) into RAM while editing? It would sure make changes and rendering go quick.

·
Software 'Engineer'
912 Posts
Data science applications, large ramdisk... Especially since the storage options suck lol

·
technologist
4,515 Posts
Good thing there's 3950x + Vega 64 x2... you can run OS X on Ryzen 3000 now. (Wonder if you can run it on an Epyc 7742...)

I'm a fan of very extremely old Macs from the mid 80s-1993 or so (68000 machines)

In 1989 the Macintosh IIfx cost $10469, I believe it was the most expensive Mac to date.

Adjusted for inflation, that comes to $22247 today.

Apparently Apple wants everyone to build Hackintosh with Ryzen if they really need OS X on a professional grade product. I can't imagine how this will increase market share in that segment.

Good.

Who wants to bet on how long these boxes will last before the GPUs die or whatever due to capacitors of too small a rating or something dumb like that? Can't wait to read about people with more money than sense buying these things, having them fail in less than two years, and having to pay AppleCare $10000 in "repairs" over and over? Pretty sure thats the goal here

Enjoy

• Rep+
Reactions: Hueristic

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Movie/Sound/Animation Studios will LOVE this Mac Pro and the Pro XDR Displays. It is actually a bargain for them since time literally equals money for them so every second/minute saved in rendering, post-processing, encoding translates to more work getting done and hence more money for their companies.

Studios are not going to build "custom" PCs.

That's their target - not individual consumers.

·
do not touch my butt
268 Posts
all they did was max out the ram on it, so that adds $25k. If you put in your own storage and RAM it isn't that bad from a work perspective. If you want to do graphics work on a crappy display, don't get the $5,000 one. I don't see the problem here. Someone needs to make the fancy stuff - there are plenty out there that make cheap garbage

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,768 Posts
I might just be out of the loop on these products, but this is the first images I'm seeing of this design... does it look like a cheese grater to anyone else?
you're spot on, just look up the meme game from when they originally announced the $1,000 monitor stand.

you know, I'm not sure how to feel about this. This is clearly not advertised at anyone aside from millionaires looking for properly decorate their homes. I don't see any content creators, unless they're already wealthy and successful, having any yearning for this system.

n let's not even get into the cost of a hackintosh variant (10% of the price?) (as the price screams BUT MUH WARRANTY SERVICE!) anyone spending $50k on a computer likely has enough money to simply get two.

·
Overclocker
11,688 Posts
Typical Apple. You can build the same thing with regular PC parts for fraction of the cost very often.
You can have the same looking case too, it's already sold.

The display, probably impressive but not for that price. FALD only? Looked like it from their marketing, don't remember if it was supposed to be dual layer but that is what I expect at such a crazy price, that or OLED. FALD can go die.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,768 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is the highest level of trolling we know.

Kinda like Art Basil is the biggest art world troll we know. When in reality, all it is, are the wealthy folks coming to buy up their friends' trust fund loser kid's art projects. Don't believe me, or are offended? You've never been, or are hawking garbage art funded by trusts (nothing wrong with that, at its core)

Example : 3-4 years ago, a trust fund baby I know turned a brand new Corolla into an acid washed submarine, then sold it @ AB:Miami to one of his dad's friends. (he didn't know the guy was a friend of his dad at the time, so learning that bit later on makes the story SOOOOOOOOOOO much better, as it reaffirms my shartty beliefs)

·
LTSC for life crew
3,981 Posts
Who wants to bet on how long these boxes will last before the GPUs die or whatever due to capacitors of too small a rating or something dumb like that? Can't wait to read about people with more money than sense buying these things, having them fail in less than two years, and having to pay AppleCare $10000 in "repairs" over and over? Pretty sure thats the goal here
It's the exact same approach General Motors is now using with the products they design & manufacture. And it is an enormously profitable way to run a business. From my experience customers will never learn and will continue making the same mistakes over and over again. Even when confronted with evidence that shows there are intentional design flaws or defects people will rationalize a reason why it won't affect them. My favorite is "Well it won't affect me, I only need this for right now and I'll have something else by the time it fails" - Why not just choose something you know isn't poorly built in the first place..

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,768 Posts
^^ the # of times my old man has had to take his newest Cadillac to the shop is simply astounding, pathetic, and deplorable. It's the main reason why I'm not in a 2019 TT right now :p ... that and the fact they haven't pushed the 4.2TT into a two door body yet :D :D :D

·
LTSC for life crew
3,981 Posts
There's always a "yeah, but" somewhere... so here goes - yeah, but it's hard to argue with horsepower. ;)

My sister in law has a new ish Caddy CTS-V and it's been in and out of the shop a lot since she got it. Even with the LS engine I thought was pretty trouble free it's having issues. And my brother has a Cruze that's seen as much time behind a tow truck as any car I know of. I'd opt for a classic one if I was going to get anything. Those were well built land yachts if there ever was one.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,768 Posts
I'd love to find awaste some money on a 1999-2000 Eldorado, possibly 2001 pending deep dive. the story goes that they switched production to the backup factory mid year in 2001,so it all went to shart.

those years are all FWD though. Epic fail, imo. Pretty sure all the sedans were FWD back then. This is before the "heritage reborn" nonsense (CTS/DTS release)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
If you could buy the high core versions in the the 1tb max non-M model then it would help reduce cost a bit, the M version of the 28 core is at least 3000 dollars more by itself.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Xeon 3275M is'nt so fast even compared to current X299:
Question is- can you make the AfterBurner card to run in hackintosh (on TRX40?)

And they ask $7000 Extra for it over the 8C model.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts