Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Overclocker
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Arizona and Georgia will lead the way, with Connecticut, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Oklahoma, and Utah following after that. No timetable is given for exactly when the new feature will be adopted by these states, however: Apple only says that consumers can expect “more information at a later date
Adding a state ID or driver’s license to Apple’s Wallet app works similarly to the way you currently add a credit card. But after scanning your license or ID with your iPhone’s camera, you’re also required to provide a selfie that your state can use for verification purposes. Apple says “users will also be prompted to complete a series of facial and head movements during the setup process” for added security.
Apple and the issuing states do not know when or where users present their IDs” and that biometric authentication is required for the data to be shared. IDs are “presented digitally through encrypted communication directly between the device and the identity reader, so users do not need to unlock, show, or hand over their device.”

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Finally! Now I don’t need a wallet.

·
Overclocker
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm genuinely interested in understanding the practical purpose of this? In what way is using my phone to show id better then the actual id itself?
How often do you need to show your id as an adult? What activity requires it's use like this as an adult?

Will this be required for some new trend?

·
I <3 narcissists
7,154 Posts
I understand the reality of a digital government id, just not sure how I feel about 3rd party digital id's. I'd rather it be something I go to the DPS for, and preferably not something that requires a 3d scan of my face.

·
LTSC for life crew
3,918 Posts
"I'm sorry officer I've left my phone at home. Will my plastic ID suffice?"

They just gave a nudge to the status quo.

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,585 Posts
I'm genuinely interested in understanding the practical purpose of this? In what way is using my phone to show id better then the actual id itself?
How often do you need to show your id as an adult? What activity requires it's use like this as an adult?

Sounds like a good way to remove any excuse against voter ID :p .
But voting, setting up a bank account or loan, getting a job, gun, booze, tobacco products (note I didn't include hemp products), cashing a check, most gov issued licenses, most discount or permission cards, most travel reservations, rentals of anything of significant value, or if I ever walk around with a gun in my pocket and a cop asks for my concealed carry permit, or if I ever go to a foreign country.
I'm sure there are more, these are just my recent observations.

But some people don't always have a charged or properly working phone in good condition.

Apple is likely more secure than the US gov anyways. Last I checked their biometrics records were stored with Amazon.

·
Overclocker
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like a good way to remove any excuse against voter ID :p .
But voting, setting up a bank account or loan, getting a job, gun, booze, tobacco products (note I didn't include hemp products), cashing a check, most gov issued licenses, most discount or permission cards, most travel reservations, rentals of anything of significant value, or if I ever walk around with a gun in my pocket and a cop asks for my concealed carry permit, or if I ever go to a foreign country.
I'm sure there are more, these are just my recent observations.

But some people don't always have a charged or properly working phone in good condition.

Apple is likely more secure than the US gov anyways. Last I checked their biometrics records were stored with Amazon.
But how is any of this any better then just providing a physical ID though? That's what I don't understand. Personally, I don't hand over my phone to someone.

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,585 Posts
But how is any of this any better then just providing a physical ID though? That's what I don't understand. Personally, I don't hand over my phone to someone.
It's not.
I hand over my phone, but I try to limit the financial access my phone has. I don't even buy things from my phone on a browser.
It will probably lead to more fraud by speeding it up and adding computer control.
Slow, unionized, paper pushing bureaucrats are surprisingly effective at stagnating things like the production of large quantities of fake ids. I do have to give them credit for that.

I would hate for some android app to steal my identity and run up a large debt on my good credit. This isn't Android, but that is next. I suppose somebody could use a falsified id to do those things I listed previously - in my name.

·
BOINC Cruncher
1,917 Posts
It's not intended to be better, it's just another option.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I'd like the option of both. I've rarely ever forgotten my phone, but sometimes drive places without my wallet. Situations like this would be great. And lets be real, why wouldn't you want more options. Don't like it, don't use it.

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts

I have to show my ID every time I buy alcohol or cigarettes. Lots of activates where you need ID.

This is the same concept as Apple pay, the benefit is not having to carry a physical card. Why would you have to have it over to someone, they can just look at it like they do your physical ID.

·
Overclocker
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have to show my ID every time I buy alcohol or cigarettes. Lots of activates where you need ID.
That's recreational though. Nothing important imo.

This is the same concept as Apple pay, the benefit is not having to carry a physical card. Why would you have to have it over to someone, they can just look at it like they do your physical ID.
Depends on the distance. The resolution isn't the best to properly identify expiration date, etc. Which is usually in smaller print. Therefore, a closer examination is required other then "flashing" it to someone. Which is why it's customary to just give them your ID.

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
Depends on the distance. The resolution isn't the best to properly identify expiration date, etc. Which is usually in smaller print. Therefore, a closer examination is required other then "flashing" it to someone. Which is why it's customary to just give them your ID.
As it becomes more common the technology will improve to allow for many different options. For anyone with concerns just carry your physical ID.

·
Overclocker
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As it becomes more common the technology will improve to allow for many different options. For anyone with concerns just carry your physical ID.
That's the thing though. They are doing this before those common technologies are given to the public. To me it's like putting the carriage before the horse.
If you use this on your phone and someone tells you they can't read it you have to hand your phone over to them or just give them your ID. Which defeats the purpose.
Some of the slots at the liquor store, gas stations don't always accommodate a phone through those bullet proof contraptions. tehe

·
BOINC Cruncher
1,917 Posts
Many places don't "look" at ID's anymore, they scan them. When the guy I work with buys cigarettes, they scan his ID. When I go to the dump to get rid of trash or recyclables they scan my ID to make sure I'm a county resident. There's no need to hand it to anyone, they just point the scanner.

·
Overclocker
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Many places don't "look" at ID's anymore, they scan them. When the guy I work with buys cigarettes, they scan his ID. When I go to the dump to get rid of trash or recyclables they scan my ID to make sure I'm a county resident. There's no need to hand it to anyone, they just point the scanner.
Never seen that at any of those places you mentioned. As the id's I'm referring to have black bar strips on the back. Have not seen them with the ability to scan like a credit card. Swap, perhaps but not wave/scan/hover like you do one of those hotel card keys.

·
BOINC Cruncher
1,917 Posts
Never seen that at any of those places you mentioned. As the id's I'm referring to have black bar strips on the back. Have not seen them with the ability to scan like a credit card. Swap, perhaps but not wave/scan/hover like you do one of those hotel card keys.
My drivers license has something that's a cross between a QR Code and a UPC bar code you would find on any product you buy. It scans the same way. Probably 20 years ago they had magnetic stripes like a credit card, they don't anymore.

·
Overclocker
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My drivers license has something that's a cross between a QR Code and a UPC bar code you would find on any product you buy. It scans the same way. Probably 20 years ago they had magnetic stripes like a credit card, they don't anymore.
It's still the same concept. You cannot wave them like you do a credit card. This is the "Real ID" I'm talking about. That "bar code" in the back serves the same function as a traditional strip.

·
BOINC Cruncher
1,917 Posts
It's still the same concept. You cannot wave them like you do a credit card. This is the "Real ID" I'm talking about. That "bar code" in the back serves the same function as a traditional strip.
Yeah, mine is a Real ID. It scans with a laser scanner like at check out line in a store. If you have a picture of the back of it on your phone, it should be scannable without the need to hand anyone your phone.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts