1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
4k Enthusiast
3,899 Posts
Game's gonna be extremely mediocre either way (at best), but I'm no fan of companies enforcing crunch on employees, so hopefully this decision at least prevents that.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,470 Posts
Wonder if this is just going to be delayed a few months or closer to a year. Either way, doesn't seem like it would be enough time for them to make the kind of changes most people would want to see from this game.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I was in 100% to buy The new Xbox bc of Halo but now i see No reason to buy Xbox Series X And like me there are millions of people thinking to do the same
They just lost millions in sales. After 5 year in development i would fire a lot of ppl. You cannot do this kind of mistake when lunching a new Console.

Seems Microsoft didn't learn from the mistakes of Xbox one.

The new Xbox its DOA !!! I wouldn't lunch the console without halo At this point.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Don't forget the restrictions in silicon supply combined with global realities likely mean both consoles will sell through all units regardless of what's in the box.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Personally, I welcome the delay. This game is going to make or break the franchise. They're planning on building off of this game for the next decade. Better make it a good launch.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I was in 100% to buy The new Xbox bc of Halo but now i see No reason to buy Xbox Series X And like me there are millions of people thinking to do the same
They just lost millions in sales. After 5 year in development i would fire a lot of ppl. You cannot do this kind of mistake when lunching a new Console.

The new Xbox its DOA !!! I wouldn't lunch the console without halo At this point.
You okay? They didn't lose anything. The game was coming to PC anyways, Microsoft already knows they wont win in hardware sales and they don't care either. What they care about is subscriptions and they're far ahead in that department look at game pass vs ps now, 2 million vs 10 million, not even close. Sony still cares about hardware sales but im sure even they realize the money is in the software not the hardware, but they're still doing it the old way. Forcing people to buy your hardware by having a lot of enticing first party games isn't a bad strategy but when it takes the entire console generation to make back the money spent on developing the device itself, then you need to consider the opportunity cost of doing so.

Xbox has the advantage of MS having way more experience developing software and they stand to make more money by offering their once exclusive titles on more than one platform. Sony is slowly coming around, Horizon is a 1st party game, just landed on PC, they'll continue to release 1st party games on PC with staggered release days from console. Eventually i could see the gap for that close from years to months.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts

Consoles are a money loser so you not buying a console is meaningless to MS.
Game pass is what will make them money in the future not console sales.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
My thought after they showed Halo: Infinite was that it was possibly the biggest mistake the XBox brand has ever made... showing off an absolute dumpster-fire of a flagship title in such a sorry state. It set a negative tone for the rest of the showcase.

Don't forget the restrictions in silicon supply combined with global realities likely mean both consoles will sell through all units regardless of what's in the box.
https://techcentral.co.za/sony-doubles-production-of-ps5-to-meet-surging-demand/99633/

...and this was before Microsoft's atrocious showcase. I think it was also before news about how like 8.4/10 people are getting a PS5 over an XSX (which was also polled before the atrocious showcase, so even that number is likely higher now).

·
H₂O Aficionado
3,744 Posts
Personally, I welcome the delay. This game is going to make or break the franchise. They're planning on building off of this game for the next decade. Better make it a good launch.
I agree. I also believe the impacts of COVID are far greater in the US for those developers. Everyone is struggling. Whether it is a technical challenge (which will eventually be solved on a case-by-case basis) or a physical challenge (health reasons etc.).

Trying to mitigate a crunch during the pandemic is bound to be met with resistance. Top on the recent criticism regarding visuals... let them take the time to make it right.

How many delays has the industry faced in the past year? The article mentions quite a bit (Last of Us, Cyberpunk etc.) We can't ignore these facts.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I think it was also before news about how like 8.4/10 people are getting a PS5 over an XSX (which was also polled before the atrocious showcase, so even that number is likely higher now).

Oh no MS won’t be able to lose as much money selling consoles at a loss. What are they going to do? Oh wait they make more off of game pass then they ever did selling consoles.
It’s Sony who has to pull the BS exclusives just to get people to buy their consoles so I think MS will be ok.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Oh no MS won’t be able to lose as much money selling consoles at a loss. What are they going to do? Oh wait they make more off of game pass then they ever did selling consoles.
It’s Sony who has to pull the BS exclusives just to get people to buy their consoles so I think MS will be ok.
Lol, you sound mad.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-game-pass-is-not-a-big-moneymaker-right-now-b/1100-6480241/

Greenberg said people don't need to worry about Microsoft--they'll be just fine. In terms of the profitability of Xbox Game Pass for Microsoft, Greenberg confirmed it's "not a big profit play" right now, as Microsoft is just starting the program. Greenberg said the investments Microsoft is making in Xbox Game Pass today might be costly in the short term, but they will ultimately pay dividends down the road if everything goes to plan.

Sure sounds like MS has a lot of convincing to do

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts

·
H₂O Aficionado
3,744 Posts
MS is banking on people who are already invested in their platforms. Whether it is Xbox One, One X, Series X, or the upcoming Series S. Xbox One and the X will slowly turn into Streaming boxes. Just like the upcoming Series S.

xCloud will expand to streaming to those consoles (rather than just mobile) and eventually, rendering will all be handled in the cloud. For now, if you want the best experience, you can still invest in the upcoming series X but it's a short term play...

Writing is on the wall. They want to move to streaming and subscriptions.

·
4k Enthusiast
3,899 Posts
MS is banking on people who are already invested in their platforms. Whether it is Xbox One, One X, Series X, or the upcoming Series S. Xbox One and the X will slowly turn into Streaming boxes. Just like the upcoming Series S.

xCloud will expand to streaming to those consoles (rather than just mobile) and eventually, rendering will all be handled in the cloud. For now, if you want the best experience, you can still invest in the upcoming series X but it's a short term play...

Writing is on the wall. They want to move to streaming and subscriptions.
I like what MS is doing with game pass and xcloud, and I agree that eventually they will likely offer a Stadia-like device that is streaming only, but I also think there will always be the option to buy actual hardware to play games on your own system.

I just wish games like Infinite would drop this live service crap. It ruins games by turning them from video games into psychologically/sociologically manipulative storefronts to sell microtransations. I wish MS would limit their "recurrent user spending" plan to their gamepass/xcloud services and do what Sony has done with their games - focus on making great *games* rather than profitable live services.

·
H₂O Aficionado
3,744 Posts
^ Yes there will always be that option (purchasing hardware to render locally). Not denying that option but their main strategy is to become more flexible, accessible, and affordable. All of which are becoming feasible with online solutions as tech improve. Hardware will always have their place but we will slowly shift to more digital.

I foresee (disk based) slowly phased out first in THIS upcoming generation. Steam has changed the way we interact with games. Every PC gamer is essentially committing to digital these days. Console users will follow suit. Especially that everything needs to be installed on the SSD anyways.

Edit: Updated first response.

In addition, games as service will remain the target for a large portion of AAA dev's that want to EDIT * be more * profitable. Typically (besides Infinite) these games are quicker to drop / release and companies can gauge investment on a FY basis. If the game is gaining traction in Year 1, then can secure investment / support in Year 2.

Games are also hella expensive to develop these days. Tech costs go up every year, employee wages increase, more hours required. The fact that we are still at $60 USD today surprises me.

I can't imagine the budget being less that ~200M for any modern AAA title, unless its a pure re-hash...

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
...Every PC gamer is essentially committing to digital these days...
GoG.com is pushing against that trend.
Even though it technically is "Digital" it also gives users free reign over their data. It's up to you to keep your backups but once you have your collection downloaded it effectively is "Physical Media". Just instead of collecting CD's you've got a HDD to maintain.

·
waifu for lifu
11,130 Posts

·
4k Enthusiast
3,899 Posts
games as service will remain the target for a large portion of AAA dev's that want to remain profitable.
There is no data that backs up the idea that games are only profitable because of mtx/recurrent user spending. Such an idea is nothing but PR propaganda. It's just a lie.

They do this because it's *more* profitable, not because they need it to make profit.

·
H₂O Aficionado
3,744 Posts
There is no data that backs up the idea that games are only profitable because of mtx/recurrent user spending. Such an idea is nothing but PR propaganda. It's just a lie.

They do this because it's *more* profitable, not because they need it to make profit.
Sorry, you are correct. More profitable. I can edit my statement to fix this. Of course, not every game needs to be a service or have micro transactions to *be* profitable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts