Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Details leaked about Microsoft's $15 Windows 8 Pro upgrade offer earlier this month, and we are now able to confirm it will run from June 2nd to January 31st, 2013, according to one source familiar with the company's plans. Microsoft Store customers who purchase a Windows 7 PC from June 2nd will be offered a Windows 8 Pro upgrade for only $14.99. The limited-time ndows Step-Up Offer" will run until January 31st, 2013
source

Nice to see an easy upgrade path from Win7 for people buying PC's soon

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Sounds like a waste of money. You would have to pay me to upgrade to Windows 8.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
been using win8 preview for a bit now and still not into it,
windows 7 is fine for me for now
windows 8 just gets on my nerves having to switch to desktop and such things, maybe if i were using touch screen it would be easier but then my hand would be in the way, never liked the idea of touch screen pc's.
anyways just saying i have no reason to upgrade from windows 7 even if it is cheap, can anyone give me a reason?

·
Banned
5,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbags View Post

been using win8 preview for a bit now and still not into it,
windows 7 is fine for me for now
windows 8 just gets on my nerves having to switch to desktop and such things, maybe if i were using touch screen it would be easier but then my hand would be in the way, never liked the idea of touch screen pc's.
anyways just saying i have no reason to upgrade from windows 7 even if it is cheap, can anyone give me a reason?
I have noticed that Windows 8 on my rig runs a lot faster than Windows 7.. that's the only advantage as far as I can see...

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd View Post

I have noticed that Windows 8 on my rig runs a lot faster than Windows 7.. that's the only advantage as far as I can see...
hmmmm anyway of benchmarking this? or any other proof?
its not that i dont believ cos my W8 preview is rather snappy (could be because of lack of apps running compared to main rig tho), just like proof
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitzogreg View Post

Hmm, I don't know of any other company that charges $15 for a kick to the testicles.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Naught View Post

Sounds like a waste of money. You would have to pay me to upgrade to Windows 8.
Quote:

Hmm, I don't know of any other company that charges $15 for a kick to the testicles.
my thoughts exactly

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:

Apple operating system updates cost money. Microsoft is just now realizing they can charge money for what amounts to a service pack.

Edit: Here is a link to buy Lion! Looks the same, performs a bit better has a few new features- looks like a service pack to me! Still costs $30 though. http://www.apple.com/macosx/how-to-buy/

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensMewMew View Post

Apple operating system updates cost money. Microsoft is just now realizing they can charge money for what amounts to a service pack.
Edit: Here is a link to buy Lion! Looks the same, performs a bit better has a few new features- looks like a service pack to me! Still costs $30 though. http://www.apple.com/macosx/how-to-buy/
But Snow Leopard was $30 how much Windows 7 again without discount?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Quote:

I used to believe this as well but ever since I'm starting to believe it's a placebo effect. Although, this is completely fine by me considering I still "notice" a difference. I'm not sure why every Windows 8 thread has to start a discussion about "will not buy" but frankly I see this as great on MS's part.

When people buy their new laptops they don't have to worry AS MUCH about buyers remorse and not waiting for Windows 8 to come out before purchasing a new tablet, laptop, AIO. Especially considering this time of year is when students begin looking at new computers for college (and assuming they don't go the typical college student mac route) they don't have to worry if they do in fact want windows 8.

·
Networking Nerd
2,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillzKillz View Post

Weren't past OS free, for those purchasers that were close to the release date?
Yes, my thoughts went exactly to this when I read they were charging money for win 8 upgrade. Vista to 7 was free when you bought a vista pc a little before the launch of 7. Must've also been because of all the negativity surrounding vista as well.

·
PC Evangelist
47,372 Posts
When is Windows 8 coming out?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post

But Snow Leopard was $30 how much Windows 7 again without discount?
Snow Leopard is a service pack, not the full OS. You cannot format your Mac and install from the Snow Leopard disk you buy in stores. A better comparison would be asking how much Windows XP SP3 was (It was free). I'm not attacking Apple- they have the right model. If you're going to put a lot of time and effort as a company into building a service pack with new features, charge money for it. Which Microsoft has now realized.

·
Prince of all Saiyans
4,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensMewMew View Post

Snow Leopard is a service pack, not the full OS. You cannot format your Mac and install from the Snow Leopard disk you buy in stores.
Yes, you absolutely can. Snow leopard was a huge leap(and less of a SP) from OSX, more so than Lion from Snow Leopard.

Please stop spreading misinformation.

$15 to be a beta tester? No thanks M$.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindrage606 View Post

Yes, you absolutely can. Snow leopard was a huge leap(and less of a SP) from OSX, more so than Lion from Snow Leopard.
Please stop spreading misinformation.
$15 to be a beta tester? No thanks M$.
OSX is the operating system, Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion are all versions, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7 and presumably 10.8 respectively. I meant any you can't just install OSX straight from disk on any formatted setup, even among Macs, and you need an internet connection to complete the install regardless. And I installed both Snow Leopard and Lion on my wife's Macbook- she didn't notice anything super different and neither did I. It's irrelevant though. Microsoft is offering Windows 7 to Windows 8 for $15, just like Apple offers Snow Leopard to Lion for $30.

Edit: I'm wrong- sorry for arguing on the internet guys. This is just for if you buy a new computer with Windows 7 on it now. Missed that the first time I read the article.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Quote:

Benchmarks please.

Windows XP still is faster then WIn7/8

In order to get Windows 7 to run good you need at lest a 8 core + 8GB of ram system for it to be smooth and fast as well.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts