Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensMewMew View Post

Snow Leopard is a service pack, not the full OS. You cannot format your Mac and install from the Snow Leopard disk you buy in stores. A better comparison would be asking how much Windows XP SP3 was (It was free). I'm not attacking Apple- they have the right model. If you're going to put a lot of time and effort as a company into building a service pack with new features, charge money for it. Which Microsoft has now realized.
Sure..

umm OK..

I won't do anymore full installs with my Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, or Lion retails..

I won't use my Mountain Lion DP2 to do any full installs either, thanks for informing me
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punker View Post

Benchmarks please.
Windows XP still is faster then WIn7/8
In order to get Windows 7 to run good you need at lest a 8 core + 8GB of ram system for it to be smooth and fast as well.
Lol, dead wrong. Xp is so slow compared to 7. And you don't need an 8 core with 8gb of ram. You are just spouting complete ignorance.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Quote:

Benchmarks please.
In order to get Windows 7 to run good you need at lest a 8 core + 8GB of ram system for it to be smooth and fast as well.
Proof?

And 8 cores or 8 gb ram is overkill
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
291 Posts
Stop comparing without any evidence, come on guys. Back up your statements.

Back on topic: I'm honestly fine with Windows 7, to me it's everything an operating system should be (that's my opinion, I don't care what you think is "faster" or "smoother"). Until I see a reason for Windows 8 it might as well be just another piece of crappy software on store shelves.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quote:

Benchmarks please.
There is so much wrong with this, I don't know where to begin...

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensMewMew View Post

Apple operating system updates cost money. Microsoft is just now realizing they can charge money for what amounts to a service pack.
Edit: Here is a link to buy Lion! Looks the same, performs a bit better has a few new features- looks like a service pack to me! Still costs $30 though. http://www.apple.com/macosx/how-to-buy/
Microsoft offered free updates to Vista if you bought a computer that had XP installed on it for a few months before Vista's launch. The only difference is that you didn't have to pay for it then.

And the small cost for OS X updates is the least of an Apple customer's concerns, after they overpaid by $500-1000 for their hardware.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordikon View Post

Microsoft offered free updates to Vista if you bought a computer that had XP installed on it for a few months before Vista's launch. The only difference is that you didn't have to pay for it then.
And the small cost for OS X updates is the least of an Apple customer's concerns, after they overpaid by $500-1000 for their hardware.
Lol speaking of apple overcharge. A 60gb replacement ssd for a dell is $200. A 60gb replacement ssd for an apple, $1100 LOL. What a ripoff.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papas View Post

Lol speaking of apple overcharge. A 60gb replacement ssd for a dell is $200. A 60gb replacement ssd for an apple, $1100 LOL. What a ripoff.
Where?

All My SSD's come from OCZ

·
Indentified! On the Way!!
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papas View Post

This

and
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordikon View Post

This

On Topic

I don't see a problem with the $15 step-up. I won't do it. Neither will most of you. But most of us are enthusiasts. However, this is more of an 'insurance policy' to make purchasing a computer NOW, more palatable for the masses before an impending OS release.

That's how I see at least and from strictly a business point of view, it makes sense.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
The amount of Windows 8 hate on here is laughable.

You guys even use the OS or you take one look at the stupid metro "start screen" and immediately write it off?

There will be ways to turn off metro and possibly even run the Windows 7 shell. The amount of hate the entire OS is getting just doesn't make sense. The shoehorning of a tablet start interface on a system with a keyboard and mouse I can understand, but that goes without saying anything about the insane amounts of improvements to the actual OS/kernel.

OCN loves its haterade.

·
Indentified! On the Way!!
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins View Post

The amount of Windows 8 on here is laughable.
You guys even use the OS or you take one look at the stupid metro "start screen" and immediately write it off?
There will be ways to turn off metro and possibly even run the Windows 7 shell. The amount of hate the entire OS is getting just doesn't make sense. The shoehorning of a tablet start interface on a system with a keyboard and mouse I can understand, but that goes without saying anything about the insane amounts of improvements to the actual OS/kernel.
OCN loves its haterade.
I can't comment on OCN haterade. I'm new around here.

Though I tend to agree with the write-off comment for people in general about things in general because of change.

I'll be perfectly honest. Haven't used win 8 at all. THe only reason I won't go to win 8 is money. I've got Win 7 on 3 machines and Vista on 1. I just can't justify the cost of an OS upgrade AT this point for one machine, let alone 4.

At some point, when there is a clearly articulable advantage of doing so, most def. Until then, no.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins View Post

The amount of Windows 8 on here is laughable.
OCN loves its haterade.
^This

I like Windows 8, much snappier and metro is just a good as using the start menu/button on Win7
The task manager is also a huge improvement

·
Registered
713 Posts
If my boot time is faster and it's faster then I will upgrade. Not like I will pay anyway...thank you college.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You could just put your copy of Windows 8 on another hard drive on your computer. All will be happy.
cheers.gif

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thx1138 View Post

Yes, my thoughts went exactly to this when I read they were charging money for win 8 upgrade. Vista to 7 was free when you bought a vista pc a little before the launch of 7. Must've also been because of all the negativity surrounding vista as well.
No I still had to pay $20 to go from Vista to 7 when I bought my laptop.

·
Banned
6,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Overlord View Post

Jesus all because of a missing start button? Everything else is objectively improved, you guys are so hopeless
All because of start menu, Metro and Aero
smile.gif
And I wouldn't even need to pay to use the fully legit licensed version, and still no
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
I'd like to offer a constructive post to this thread to break the trend with the ignorance some users sport, so I'm downloading the consumer preview to give it a try.

21 - 40 of 121 Posts