Overclock.net banner

41 - 60 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
i love how fast windows 8 is to windows 7...ill be picking it up first day. It sucks not having the start button but I dont mind change....I actually use my windows 8 more then my current windows 7 now that the graphics drivers arent such garbage and I can game on it. For some reason I had issues with BF3 randomly freezing up...not anymore though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I really like Microsoft as a company. 15$ is not bad at all. And i think they realize that every other windows product has had success recently. Like windows xp is good, vista was kinda bad and 7 is great.

But im really surprised people are comparing it to Apple, I didn't know Apple had so much to offer in terms of software to you people? I thought people who bought apple products like this were usually not caring about top of the line in performance but rather an apple fan.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I REALLY like the hybrid start up of windows 8 which will give it faster startup loads by a few fold, but the UI of W8 really sucks for a desktop user (would be good for touchscreen)

Once W8 is modded to that the interface of W7 i might get it, or if W7 was modded for hybrid start that would be best case scenario.

·
Banned
3,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd View Post

I have noticed that Windows 8 on my rig runs a lot faster than Windows 7.. that's the only advantage as far as I can see...
Meh, once you get an SSD the speed differences are negligible. Besides, I'm at a point where I am extremely efficient at using all the features Windows 7 offers me. I'm in no rush to learn a whole new OS that is so clearly directed towards tablets and touch screens, things which my desktop is not.

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins View Post

The amount of Windows 8 hate on here is laughable.
You guys even use the OS or you take one look at the stupid metro "start screen" and immediately write it off?
There will be ways to turn off metro and possibly even run the Windows 7 shell. The amount of hate the entire OS is getting just doesn't make sense. The shoehorning of a tablet start interface on a system with a keyboard and mouse I can understand, but that goes without saying anything about the insane amounts of improvements to the actual OS/kernel.
OCN loves its haterade.
Windows 8 is disliked by more than OCN though. There are many other places on the Internet that dislike Win 8 as well. Lots of hate on Microsoft's own forums and blogs. MS is said to have removed the Start Menu and replaced it with Metro, so the option of switching back is gone. Even Windows 8 Server uses Metro, which have traditionally used Classic theme since NT/2000.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitzogreg View Post

Hmm, I don't know of any other company that charges $15 for a kick to the testicles.
biggrin.gif
:thumb:

·
Z-80 > i9
17,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd View Post

I have noticed that Windows 8 on my rig runs a lot faster than Windows 7.. that's the only advantage as far as I can see...
That's what's so annoying about Win8, all the internals, etc are much better but they screwed up with Metro for most people.

·
Premium Member
5,821 Posts
Excellent! I plan on getting an Ivy Bridge ultrabook in late July for a back to school deal, so a good price on that + cheap Windows 8 is gonna be SWEET!! :-D

·
Rabies is my business
4,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papas View Post

Lol speaking of apple overcharge. A 60gb replacement ssd for a dell is $200. A 60gb replacement ssd for an apple, $1100 LOL. What a ripoff.
Thats because most Apple users (like my Dad) have almost zero hardware knowledge. They are paying a premium for some "genius bar" techie to tell them what we already know. If I, using my toolkit and Google, cannot fix it it's time to upgrade.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I think it's good to offer an upgrade for this cheap. I will have to wait for some reviews on this thing before I buy it though. It doesn't look very good to me, but it's supposed to be faster than Windows 7. We'll see if that's true....

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillzKillz View Post

Weren't past OS free, for those purchasers that were close to the release date?
Yes. For both bought XP machines and Vista maches that were bought { insert however many months before the new OS }.

·
Registered
878 Posts
havnt read everything but the upgrade is to win8 pro witch imo is a deal but if u like win 7 then dont do it
tongue.gif

im guessing mfgs will also have an option for a free win8 upgrade like vista>7.

·
Skating Enthusiast
8,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensMewMew View Post

Apple operating system updates cost money. Microsoft is just now realizing they can charge money for what amounts to a service pack.

Edit: Here is a link to buy Lion! Looks the same, performs a bit better has a few new features- looks like a service pack to me! Still costs $30 though. http://www.apple.com/macosx/how-to-buy/
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensMewMew View Post

Snow Leopard is a service pack, not the full OS. You cannot format your Mac and install from the Snow Leopard disk you buy in stores. A better comparison would be asking how much Windows XP SP3 was (It was free). I'm not attacking Apple- they have the right model. If you're going to put a lot of time and effort as a company into building a service pack with new features, charge money for it. Which Microsoft has now realized.
What? It has no traits of a service pack. Apple's OS X release cycles alternate between consisting mainly of performance improvements and then mainly software improvements. A service pack is just combined bug fixes and security updates.

There were two versions of Snow Leopard:

1) $30 for a single license upgrade (from Leopard), ~$69 for a five pack
2) $200 for a single license full install + iWork and iLife 09, or ~$260 for a five pack

But there's absolutely no difference between the supplied disks. You can buy the $30 upgrade and do a clean install on five thousands Macs. It's all the same full version.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post

What? It has no traits of a service pack. Apple's OS X release cycles alternate between consisting mainly of performance improvements and then mainly software improvements. A service pack is just combined bug fixes and security updates.
There were two versions of Snow Leopard:
1) $30 for a single license upgrade (from Leopard), ~$69 for a five pack
2) $200 for a single license full install + iWork and iLife 09, or ~$260 for a five pack
But there's absolutely no difference between the supplied disks. You can buy the $30 upgrade and do a clean install on five thousands Macs. It's all the same full version.
And to prove it, the $30 disc what the majority of hackintoshs are using.

·
Registered
684 Posts
i still wouldn't go to Windows 8 to me windows 8 is for touch screens and tablets they should of called it Windows Touch.
also skitzogreg is it true you know Ryo Hazuki ^_^lol

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papas View Post

This is \through staples parts ordering system. It is CRAZY how expensive apple parts are.
They're not $1100 even through the Staples ordering system..they're not $1100 from Apple

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitzogreg View Post

Hmm, I don't know of any other company that charges $15 for a kick to the testicles.
That's a steal.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsunx View Post

That's a steal.
Adobe charges $2000 for a kick in the testicles

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Awesome, I wonder if it will work with older versions too, how do they check?. Tempted to get 8 for dual monitor support and speed increase, but I loath metro (and yes I have tried it for a week nonstop). Probably will stick with 7.

41 - 60 of 121 Posts