Overclock.net banner

401 - 411 of 411 Posts

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #401 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppy007 View Post

Ehume, why did you awarded the Noctua F12 the gold medal instead of the GT2150 or the AP15 if they had lower SPL and DOA? Because it's a PWM fan (with no clicking)?
Sorry I missed this question way back when. The reason the F12 got the Gold is because it has high static pressure, it is PWM, it is not loud and it was the first 25mm-thick fan with a reasonable number of blades.

Those Gentle Typhoons you mentioned would be worth Gold as well, had they been the subject of a review, even if they are not PWM.

Now that I have a 30 fpi rad to test with, I might try the GT's and the F12. I have tested the GT's without rads. They exceed specs.

But I have some other things to do first.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post

Sorry I missed this question way back when. The reason the F12 got the Gold is because it has high static pressure, it is PWM, it is not loud and it was the first 25mm-thick fan with a reasonable number of blades.

Those Gentle Typhoons you mentioned would be worth Gold as well, had they been the subject of a review, even if they are not PWM.

Now that I have a 30 fpi rad to test with, I might try the GT's and the F12. I have tested the GT's without rads. They exceed specs.

A PWM Gentle Typhoon would be an impressive consumer-grade fan. As for the rad, I think that's too much and very few people use such dense fin configuration, save for CLC such as the H100. My XT45 rads are 10FPI, if that gives you an idea.

Are you water cooling now, or you're only going to use the radiator for airflow tests?

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #403 ·
Quote:

Quote:

A PWM Gentle Typhoon would be an impressive consumer-grade fan. As for the rad, I think that's too much and very few people use such dense fin configuration, save for CLC such as the H100. My XT45 rads are 10FPI, if that gives you an idea.

Are you water cooling now, or you're only going to use the radiator for airflow tests?
I bought a bare rad for $30 on a clearance sale. No fittings, etc. Testing only.

As for the GT's: others have tried, but only the GT gets the whole job done. That said, I would like to see the PWM hub from the Phanteks Enthoo Prime sold as a separate item. Woo-wee! Awesome device.

·
Premium Member
27,527 Posts
Quote:

As for the GT's: others have tried, but only the GT gets the whole job done. That said, I would like to see the PWM hub from the Phanteks Enthoo Prime sold as a separate item. Woo-wee! Awesome device.
Build your system and they will come.
biggrin.gif

Phanteks has them boxed up and probably on a boat somewhere by now... shouldn't be too long before we can get them.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Quote:

I bought a bare rad for $30 on a clearance sale. No fittings, etc. Testing only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Build your system and they will come.
biggrin.gif

Phanteks has them boxed up and probably on a boat somewhere by now... shouldn't be too long before we can get them.
If I could only find a way to have 2 different PWM signals in my motherboard (Asus MVG)... One for the pump, the other for the fans.

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
Quote:

If I could only find a way to have 2 different PWM signals in my motherboard (Asus MVG)... One for the pump, the other for the fans.
Run one off the mobo and one off a GPU?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morencyam View Post

Run one off the mobo and one off a GPU?
That's what I'll probably do. I guess I can control the GPU pwm via speedfan!

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
Quote:

That's what I'll probably do. I guess I can control the GPU pwm via speedfan!
Should be able to. When I was still air cooling my GPUs I just used Afterburner or EVGA Precision

·
Premium Member
27,527 Posts
Quote:

You do have two PWM headers; CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT.
Information is in your manual 3.6 Monitor menu

• Rep+
Reactions: cloppy007

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

You do have two PWM headers; CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT.
Information is in your manual 3.6 Monitor menu
same signal, they're not independent.

·
Premium Member
27,527 Posts
What happens if pump and radiator fans run on same signal? Obviously both fans and pump speed would be varied dependent on CPU heat. I guess it's a matter of how the increases relate to how fans versus pump vary in rpm.

It is not hard to use GPU PWM signal to control GPU and case fans. Is explained in sig link.

401 - 411 of 411 Posts