Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the X-FI FATAL1TY the best sound card out? And if not, what is. And from someone that has the X-FI FATAL1TY can you tell me how good the sound is from your point of view, and if it was worth the money; also, any problems with it?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The best one would technically be the Elite Pro x-fi, but any x-fi will sound good. The Fatality would be worth it if you're a gamer b/c the x-ram is already being used in some games. If you're not a gamer, the xtrememusic or platinum would be fine. I'm very happy with this card. I had an Audigy 2 zs previously and I can notice a difference. I really like it. I know some others on here also have the fatality and like theirs. I would go with the fatality b/c it's the cheapest of the two with x-ram.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, I see. Thanks for your comment; yes I'm a gamer, so I probably will end up getting this card once I get my new power supply. Just brought a brand new computer, and already putting $500 of renovations into it...

·
Power Squid
9,609 Posts
The only difference between the Fatal1ty FPS and the Elite Pro is the fact that the Pro has an external box thingy whilst the Fatal1ty uses the same internal drive bay that comes with the Platinum version. As for sound quality and performance, they are both exacty the same, it's just a case of if you wanted an internal or external box I think.

I have noticed a very small performance increase when playing games but it's definatley the increase in audio quality that is more noticeable. I beleive that the X-RAM is also intended to be used when creating music on your PC aswell and not just in games, though I'm not much of a DJ and haven't used Fruity Loops for a while.

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Actually your wrong the elite pro has better sound quality (fatality has something 96khz while the elite pro has 112khz i believe), same performance, and the external box.

And no the xram isnt meant for creating music on your pc.
Its meant to store sounds for quicker access which in turn means you can have more sounds and better quality of sounds happening at one time.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I believe the elite pro also uses difeerent (better) dac and adc than the rest of the x-fi series

·
Registered
226 Posts
Don't the X-Fi cards have a problem with games like BF2? I've heard this time and again.

Also, what exactly is X-Ram? Does the Xtrememusic series of X-Fi cards use it?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I heard the XtremeMusic was not good at all for gaming, just for MP3s. Is this true?

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyrox

I heard the XtremeMusic was not good at all for gaming, just for MP3s. Is this true?

No, it isn't true. All of the X-Fi's are great for gaming, the only real differences between the products really aren't sound quality, if you have all 4 different cards lined up, you won't be able to notice the difference because all of them are still using the crystalizer and all of that, the main differences is the X-RAM, and extra's they come w/ and some more bandwidth than others. No HUGE differences.

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
No they dont have a problem with BF2.
There was a conflict with the NF4 chipset.
But an update to your mobo BIOS/chipset drivers should fix that.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrice Mersault

Don't the X-Fi cards have a problem with games like BF2? I've heard this time and again.

Also, what exactly is X-Ram? Does the Xtrememusic series of X-Fi cards use it?

X-ram is onboard memory to speed up sound processing but can ONLY be used if the game is specifically written to utilize it. BF2 is the only game I know of that uses it. Without it, any X-Fi can still process identical sounds,environments,etc with the exact same quality, but wouldn't do it quite as fast. If you're the type that only buys a sound card every 3 or 4 years, then maybe Xram is something worth buying. Over the next year or so, I don't see it being necessary because a lot of games won't be programmed to use it and even those that are, it won't offer a large enough bonus to warrant the high price of the Fatal1ty and Elite PRO in my opinion.
To answer your first question, the problems with the X-Fi weren't with certain games, it was with NForce4 motherboard probs. Nearly all of the major motherboard manufacturers have released BIOS fixes to solve the problems.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm getting an NF4 MOBO. I just need to go to the ASUS website for the BIOS fix, correct?

The Xtreme Music version doesn't have X-ram, then? 'cause for an Audigy2 ZS, it's $100. The X-Fi Xtreme Music is $113.

·
Registered
121 Posts
for 13 bucks difference i'd get the x-fi.

i've read about ppl noticing differences and the stats are, in fact, that much better.

plus. the software it comes with does wonders for tweaking.

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
The extreme music doesnt have the xram.
But all the xram allows is for quicker access to more sound data.
So you wont see TOO much of a difference right now with the Xram but maybe further on you will see a noticable difference.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Just moved froma an Audigy zs2 and what a difference .You can clearly hear the difference, brought all my older mp3,s back to life

1 - 20 of 20 Posts