Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Maximum effort.
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I recently placed an offer on a 1045T for $90 on Ebay... thinking that the guy would shoot me down. Well, he accepted it
eek.gif

So, pending the typical Ebay nonsense (bent pins, busted CPU, etc.) I fully expect to be able to push this thing to fold -bigadv's with the WINE method. I read up on the article, and realize that it might not be too far off to do so. I've calculated that I'm going to need a 41% overclock, or reference clock 282 in order to achieve 3.8 Ghz. I have a set of OCZ HPC Reapers that should be able to handle the clock (they're currently running at 5-5-5-18 @960 mhz in my HTPC, so maybe with looser timings or a higher DRAM divider they can handle this). Hopefully temps will be decent under my current cooler, it keeps a 125W 720 X4 (I know it's rated at 95W, but unlocked it's 125W) at 1.41 vCore under 55 degrees, and I've read that some have been able to do up to 4 Ghz on a 1045T at 1.4. If not I'll be getting the AM3 mounting kit for my Megahalems which should handle it like a champ.

Am I being overly optimistic on this, or do you guys think it's impossible? I haven't had a decent folding rig all summer and would like to make up for it. If I can pull this off this might be the most frugal -bigadv folding rig known to man!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Getting your future 1055 to 3.8GHz is achievable but I think your going to have a lot of issues at a ref clock of 282. Now I have seen it be done but my personal experience has been that Ref clock tweaking is a very delicate thing as it affects nearly all parts of the system. Pushing the multiplier up is usually easier to do especially if your going from a low stock multiplier. Though seeing as 1055T is not a BE processor the multiplier is locked so Ref clock is the only option. I would just recommend that you work your way up slowly. Your Motherboard and cooler should work fine but don't count on hitting 3.8 or 4.00GHz with only 1.4v, 1.45v is usually what is required for 4GHz.

·
Overclocked by Jesus
4,759 Posts
You should hit 3.8 easy. My 1055T hit 4GHz + at 300fsb. This won't be that hard to do. Those of you with BE Thubans have it easy lol. I actually prefer reference overclocking as it boosts everything.

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
Don't do the WINE thingy, running the Linux core is better on bigadv nowadays when they taken bigadv back to Linux again.

The best guide to date IMO: http://www.overclock.net/overclock-net-folding-home-team/1048365-ubuntu-setting-up-big-bigadv-p6903.html
It includes setup for Langouste (mostly for slower internet connection), corefix (what you need to fold bigadv on less than 8-thread machines) and setting up so they autostart whenever you log in.

Obviously change 'TARGET_NCPUS=12' to 'TARGET_NCPUS=8' in the corefix.sh since 12 would get you the hugeadv and for that you really need at least 4g and fast ram (DDR3 1866 or better yet 2000) to be able to handle them.

Are you going native or in a VM? And 282 HT ref folding bigadv in Linux could be a challenge, 3.8G should be plenty to handle the normal bigadv and even 3.6 if it's mostly dedicated. I've even got one running Ubuntu through a VM in Win7 clocked at 3.44 and handle bigadv with other normal usage (browsing, watching movies, normal office stuff, very rarely game on it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcard36qs;15248479
You should hit 3.8 easy. My 1055T hit 4GHz + at 300fsb. This won't be that hard to do. Those of you with BE Thubans have it easy lol. I actually prefer reference overclocking as it boosts everything.
Yes, but is it bigadv-folding stable?

·
H20 only!
348 Posts
You may be able to hit the clocks. Remember that every chip is different and its all about the luck of the draw. As for your FSB, I go well beyond that every time I OC my rig to Benchmark, your not being to optimistic for that number.

Good Luck! Remember though, you gotta do this old school!

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
If that Biostar of yours is like all the others A780L you may need to get a better board before attempting any OCeing. it's a board with a poor Power phase design, and IIRC, doesn't even have VRM cooling. A OCed X6 can easily get to 180W, and that board was amde to go up to 95W TDP.
I would look into it...
http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherb...tion-list.html

·
Maximum effort.
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The board actually supports 125W, but I've heard too many horror stories about VRMs that I might just run it stock until I can afford a new board.

Also, the 1045T came in today
Going to have to wait until tomorrow to install it, I'm on my lunch break

·
Maximum effort.
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Max OC achieved - 3.375 Ghz
frown.gif
I think it has to do with the motherboard. It's unstable at 260 reference clock. I guess I'll just be doing regular SMP's and GPU folding for now.

·
Maximum effort.
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keyword: cheap. I need to buy a better motherboard if I hope to do bigadv. I tried HT from 1800 and lower, the motherboard just does NOT like going above 250. It went all the way through at 260 with 1.41 vCore but wasn't stable through 5 passes of IBT. 250 was also the limit with my 720BE.

·
H20 only!
348 Posts
You did change your divider to remove memory out of the equation right? Also have you bumped your CPU-NB voltage at all to help support the NB frequency changes? Also have you turned off all of your C&Q, Spread Spectrum, ETC?

Sorry for the questions, they are not to insult your over clocking skills. Just want to get a grasp and make sure the path was taken!

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
biostar 758GE 128m will not diasspoint.

It uses DDR2 like you have, and is renound for its HTT abilities. Many people who OC semprons on Ln2 use it because of their locked multi.

It will also be able to supply power to an OC'd X6 without issues. Plus its only like 60 bucks

·
Maximum effort.
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ORL
View Post

You did change your divider to remove memory out of the equation right? Also have you bumped your CPU-NB voltage at all to help support the NB frequency changes? Also have you turned off all of your C&Q, Spread Spectrum, ETC?

Sorry for the questions, they are not to insult your over clocking skills. Just want to get a grasp and make sure the path was taken!

Yes, and these HPC's overclock pretty well at 2.1V. Yes, yes and yes, all to no avail. I think the motherboard is just really basic; I initially bought it because it could unlock cores and supported surroundview, but it doesn't even like surroundview when I had it enabled with my 5450 :-/

·
Maximum effort.
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhh;15315901
Your DDR2 memory is holding you back, so therefore so is your motherboard...is the X6 even supported on that board? Really though if you are running an Thuban X6 you should be at least running DDR3 1600 memory. Take advantage of that improved IMC.
The X6 is supported and it's working, IBT says 60 Gflops on high which is about right with the ram. You are right though, I need a new motherboard and ram.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts