Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Topic! Basically I was leaning towards the 6600GT (AGP ONLY) and it was looking pretty good. But the only thing it had going for it at all was SM3, and higher clocks. Every single one of them with the exception of the MSI one, has craptastic heatsinks, and even then the MSI one wasn't that great. So I was looking at the X700 With the IceQ HS on it. I was thinking about the pros and cons of each:

6600GT
Pros: High Clocks, Good OCing, and SM3
Cons:Runs HOT, Only Open GL 1.5, Expensive

X700 "IceQ"
Pros: Icy Cold, Overclocks Very Good (So I've heard), Open GL 2.0, and Cheap, Looks Damn Cool.
Cons: No SM3, Even though I haven't heard of it being used alot, Low Clocks

So do these seem accurate? Because as of Right now I'm really leaning towards the X700, and with the extra cash I'm going to buy some Case Fans and some AS5.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BUMPZORZ. Cmon, usually I get a reply within like 4 minutes.

·
Banned
113 Posts
I am a proud owner of the x700PRO and I love it so damn much. It is a great price and alot better than I expected. So I would have to go with the x700.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
I think most of the 6600 gt heatsinks are just fine... and if you ask me, the copper msi heatsink is actually damn nice looking

anyway, the look of the card/ heatsink shouldnt really be the determining factor in your purchase... performance/ value should be what really motivates you to buy something

6600 gts dont run as hot as you seem to think, nor do x700s run as cool as you seem to think... between the two, the temperature difference is not going to be a major thing... 6600 gts usually get a decent overclock on stock hardware, if youre not happy, just grab a vf700

about opengl, no offense, but do you even use opengl or know what it is?... odds are you wont even need it and that youll never notice the differences in 1.5 and 2.0

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so the use of OpenGl isnt really going to make THAT much of a difference. But what about Shader Model 3, that is the only thing making me want to go with the 6600GT. Also, I've only seen that used in FarCry, so do I really need to care about it? I figure I could save some cash by sacrificing 30 bucks for some clockspeed, which will help me save up for my next upgrade. Trust me, I'm just looking for a good upgrade for the next 4 or 5 months.

·
Banned
5,844 Posts
the 6600gt will outperform the x700 in almost every aspect plus the SM3 ive read is great for smoothing out graphics. I say stick with the 6600gt

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
sm3 isnt a big deal right now, and I doubt itll be as big as most people want it to be

I still say get the 6600 gt, check the reviews, its a better card all around

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Uh... SLI can't be done in AGP fool. ARGH I dont know why the hell I want the X700 sooo bad. But there's no logical reason. Keep up with the good reasons for the 6600GT to sway my ******ednessss

·
Registered
579 Posts
i have the x700pro. I had to go through 3 b4 the one i have now worked. I would think they have the quality issue worked out by now but still it was rediculuas... I have seen that the 6600gt pwns the x700 in EVERY bench mark... If i had it to do over again i would go with the 6600gt hands down! this was pcix in my case however...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts