Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Apple said it will end its free iPhone case giveaway at the end of September, saying the antenna problem was smaller than the company originally thought. However, Apple said it will to continue to provide a free case to the "small percentage of iPhone 4 users" who need one. Apple announced in July it would give iPhone 4 cases to anyone who requested one, after some users reported reception problems. The matter was dubbed "Antennagate". Even as the company announced the case program, it maintained there was nothing wrong with the iPhone 4 and that reception issues were a problem shared by the entire smartphone industry. In an announcement on its website late last week Apple said it is discontinuing the free case â€" or bumper â€" program on all iPhone 4s sold after September 30, as it had originally planned to do. "We now know that the iPhone 4 antenna attenuation issue is even smaller than we originally thought," the announcement said. "A small percentage of iPhone 4 users need a case and we want to continue providing them a Bumper case for free."

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-lif...913-157fj.html

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I don't think that is a good pr move, tho blaming the consumer of "holding it wrong" wasn't either so I can't say I'm surprised.

Hopefully they learned from it, and do more extesive testing for the next version of the iphone.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
I totally agree with this. They offered them for free just to get everyone to stop complaining. The issue was definitly blown out of proportion just like almost every issue is whether its cell phones, GPU's (omg my fermi is melting), or consoles.

I would love to know the number of people who actually got the free bumpers through the program. I got one just because they were free, I didnt feel i needed one though. My guess would be less than 25% of iphone users actually got one but i could be way off.

Out of the 4 people i know with a phone im the only one who got one and they all knew of the program.

·
Something witty
2,400 Posts
They started coating the edge with a clear layer of something as soon as they found out about this. We had a couple of them in my office and one would lose signal and the other would not.

Therefore all new ones don't need bumpers.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparhawk
View Post

They started coating the edge with a clear layer of something as soon as they found out about this. We had a couple of them in my office and one would lose signal and the other would not.

Therefore all new ones don't need bumpers.

Do you have proof of this? Cause mine never really lost signal ever. Only could get it to drop like a bar. I just have not heard about this before. I assumed they would but would like to see it for real.

·
Something witty
2,400 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by b.walker36 View Post
Do you have proof of this? Cause mine never really lost signal ever. Only could get it to drop like a bar. I just have not heard about this before. I assumed they would but would like to see it for real.
Well I'm almost positive there was never an official announcement because it's all smoke and mirrors with apple. Pretty sure it was just a silent factory change.

Could also just be that the cell networks are better in Canada.

Here's a good link: http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-...sue-in-canada/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts