Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
The law has a new high-tech stool pigeon reporting criminal activities, writes Amber Hunt.
Got an iPhone in your bag? Chances are you may be storing even more personal information than you realise, and some of it could be used against you if you're ever charged with a crime.
A burgeoning field of forensic study deals with iPhones specifically because of their popularity, the demographics of those who own them and what the phone's technology records during its use.
''Very, very few people have any idea how to actually remove data from their phone,'' said Sam Brothers, a mobile-phone forensic researcher with US Customs and Border Protection, who teaches law-enforcement agents how to retrieve information from iPhones in criminal cases.

Quote:
TRACKING YOUR EVERY MOVE

Every time an iPhone user closes the built-in mapping application, the phone snaps a screenshot and stores it.
iPhone photos are embedded with tags and identifying information, so photos posted online might include GPS co-ordinates of where the picture was taken and the serial number of the phone that took it.
Even more information is stored by the applications themselves, including the user's browser history, which could prove useful to police.

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-lif...917-15gbx.html

·
Registered
280 Posts
Here i though this was going to be about ACTA. Though i already knew about this, so if i ever decide to have underage sex with a teenager and then text them ill make sure that i find out how to delete this info permanently.

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
I am sure my phone does the same thing because the second I open up google maps my location is there. It takes a few seconds at least to update it. I could disable it as well if I wanted to, which I am sure the iphone could if you looked, or unlocked it.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Uh yeah, this data can also be edited too
Great for fooling friends

Yeah, you see this picture here, I took it in the white house ^^, the data will prove it.

·
Premium Member
9,786 Posts
I best cease my criminal activities immediately.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the avid consumer.

The only information I gathered from this is that criminals should not invest in iPhones.

But I'm sure some people will use this as a justification to avoid the iPhone altogether.

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
+1 reason to not use the iPhone?
Try researching what Android/Google tracks. Anyone who thinks the iPhone is the only one that does this is ill-informed.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
And how can you get rid/change of all that information safely and completely?

PM me if it can't posted in the public forum.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IcedEarth View Post
I best cease my criminal activities immediately.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the avid consumer.

The only information I gathered from this is that criminals should not invest in iPhones.

But I'm sure some people will use this as a justification to avoid the iPhone altogether.
That argument is about as stupid as the whole "because I have done nothing wrong, I have nothing to fear" argument. It has nothing to do with whether or not you are a criminal, but rather that this could be used for many other applications. Lets say you are a member of an opposing political party to those in power, what is to stop this corrupted government from harvesting this information from you simply because you are considered an enemy?

·
Premium Member
9,786 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Z Naught View Post
That argument is about as stupid as the whole "because I have done nothing wrong, I have nothing to fear" argument. It has nothing to do with whether or not you are a criminal, but rather that this could be used for many other applications. Lets say you are a member of an opposing political party to those in power, what is to stop this corrupted government from harvesting this information from you simply because you are considered an enemy?
What information exactly?

It's a phone for crying out loud. At best they will find a naked picture of his wife, time stamped and a location of where it was taken.

People take these things way too seriously. I have no interest in your tin foil conspiracy theories.

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Quote:
iPhone photos are embedded with tags and identifying information, so photos posted online might include GPS co-ordinates of where the picture was taken and the serial number of the phone that took it.
DERPETY DERP.

It's called Exif data. Awesome for storing info and easy to strip too.

·
Registered
759 Posts
If they really wanted to screw you, they'd hide the data somewhere else. EXIF isn't exactly hard to crack. I think the logic is that chances are criminals wouldn't know about it, and even if they did, they wouldn't know how to erase the EXIF data.

Quote:

I wonder how many of you actually know where the term "Derp" came from and what the creators actually intended it to mean.
Oh! Pick me!

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Come on people, as far as the maps thing, this is basically the same as browser history, which could also be used against you, and it's been on computers before smartphones even existed.

Quote:

I wonder how many of you actually know where the term "Derp" came from and what the creators actually intended it to mean. Because this "durr" bit is foreign and not right.

Derp de derp, de teedly tum.
It depends on whether you're referring to "derp de derp", or "derpa derpa derp"

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IcedEarth View Post
I'm sure some people will use this as a justification to avoid the iPhone altogether.
+1. If you have nothing to hide, you hide nothing. People that say otherwise are young and don't know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by timAHH View Post
+1. If you have nothing to hide, you hide nothing. People that say otherwise are young and don't know what they are talking about.
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

I personally would much rather be a "tin foil hat conspiracy theorist" than be a blind sheep.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts