Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
US software giant Microsoft has expressed concern over a report that anti-software piracy laws were being used to stifle dissent in Russia and announced steps to try to halt the practice.
The Microsoft statement followed a report in The New York Times that the Russian authorities had used piracy charges concerning Microsoft software to confiscate computers and harass non-governmental organisations (NGOs).
"As general counsel for Microsoft, it was not the type of story that felt good to read," Microsoft senior vice president and general counsel Brad Smith said in a blog post.

"Whatever the circumstances of the particular cases the New York Times described, we want to be clear that we unequivocally abhor any attempt to leverage intellectual property rights to stifle political advocacy or pursue improper personal gain," Smith said
http://www.theage.com.au/technology/...914-159rd.html

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
So, basically, this has nothing to do with piracy, except for the fact that a political leader had someone arrested on piracy charges for their own gain?

Correct me if I read that incorrectly.

·
AS 396507
1,565 Posts
That sounds about right. MS is sticking it to The Man.

I really like how MS is supporting these issues:

Quote:
Microsoft will create a new unilateral software license for NGOs that will ensure they have free, legal copies of our products," Smith said.

·
Fantastic Mr Fox
5,859 Posts
The PR machine is in full spin trying to water down the issue.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Actually, MS isn't doing anything but a PR campaign.

What is happening is corrupted officials and police are raiding NGO & journalism groups, and then checking their pc's (and sometimes putting pirated software on them), then asking MS if any liscense are bad, then using that against the people.

Problem is, corrupt people are doing this. If they can't use the software to do it, they find another reason to throw them in jail. Nothing will change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts