Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
The Xigmatek, other than cooling systems and computer boxes (cases), has entered a long time and the market for PSUs.
After some time of inactivity, recently went to the presentation of a new series of PSUs (NRP-MC series) and OEM chosen the HEC / Compucase , a company with good reputation in the field.
The PSUs line NRP-MC is expected shortly to be marketed.

In today's presentation will test three models (NRP-MC702, NRP-MC802 and NRP-MC1002) with effect 700, 800 and 1000W, respectively, and will bring you our impressions.

The Source

Word of warning, this is a translated review from Greek to English. So some parts may be a bit confusing.

If you have questions on what a part means just post up and I'll do my best to explain what it means to you.

Either way, I won't spoil how this one ends; as it's HEC which we have seen the worst of the worst from. And some really great results from.

·
The Fabricat0r
5,933 Posts
Before I even read the review I'll guess that the 700W and 800W are pretty much the same design as the S700 and the 1000W is yet another revision of the 1000CM.

Yup, I was right. It's good that HEC has been able to improve on the 1000CM ripple suppression even more with this version. Apart from the voltage regulation of the 3.3V rail on the two lower power units (which is odd since the 1000W did much better with the same VRMs), I really can't be too negative about these. The 800W seems to be near the limit of that design though since 12V ripple went up quite a bit going from 700W to 800W.

I still have to LOL when crmaris says HEC has a good reputation.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by shinji2k View Post
I still have to LOL when crmaris says HEC has a good reputation.
HEC's primarily been selling in his part of the world under the Cougar name. Which Cougar (as a brand name) has put out a bad PSU yet.

No overwhelming DOA units, and the units they send out for review (along with other units based on known Cougar Units) do well in the reviews.

HEC's rep here in the states is much different though (obviously.)

·
The Fabricat0r
5,933 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
HEC's primarily been selling in his part of the world under the Cougar name. Which Cougar (as a brand name) has put out a bad PSU yet.

No overwhelming DOA units, and the units they send out for review (along with other units based on known Cougar Units) do well in the reviews.

HEC's rep here in the states is much different though (obviously.)
Yup. Europe get's decent stuff like this and NA get's stuck with 15 different versions of the same 300W PSU, most of the time being called a "585W".

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Yup. Europe get's decent stuff like this and NA get's stuck with 15 different versions of the same 300W PSU, most of the time being called a "585W".
Well we get the Cougar 700CM here (under the HEC name, with arguably better looks) but that's about it.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Oh boy
. It's the same as this POS, the TR2 RX 750W.
I think you meant "Oh boy
It's the same crap as the TR2 RX750"

But yeah.. it's some hope that we could get half decent HEC units here in the US. Though I doubt that'll happen.

·
The Fabricat0r
5,933 Posts
Man, that review is hard to understand. I only skimmed it at first, but they all are based on the 1000CM design aren't they? From another review I see that the 700W and 800W have one less transformer.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Man, that review is hard to understand. I only skimmed it at first, but they all are based on the 1000CM design aren't they? From another review I see that the 700W and 800W have one less transformer.
I'll ask Cmaris on JG but to be honest I can't tell from the Engrish what the platform is. The wording of Google Translate is terrible in that instance.

I thought like you that they were S700 & 1000CM as well. But we'll see.

·
The Fabricat0r
5,933 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
I'll ask Cmaris on JG but to be honest I can't tell from the Engrish what the platform is. The wording of Google Translate is terrible in that instance.

I thought like you that they were S700 & 1000CM as well. But we'll see.
This guy tore one apart and they are indeed the same two transformer design as the 1000W, just with one of the transformers missing.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

This guy tore one apart and they are indeed the same two transformer design as the 1000W, just with one of the transformers missing.
Ah yep, you can even see the points on the PCB.

But as for the 3.3v problem, they only fell out of spec on the Crossload Test 1 which was only 2amps on the 12v rail, very unrealistic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts