Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In theory, would it be possible for an air cooler to bring down processor temps below ambient temp? At first this might sound like a stupid question but I am aware that automobile carburetors can ice up when ambient temp is above freezing.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trents

In theory, would it be possible for an air cooler to bring down processor temps below ambient temp? At first this might sound like a stupid question but I am aware that automobile carburetors can ice up when ambient temp is above freezing.

The reason for that is compression of the air, the same effect works with Jet turbines when not on Afterburners, the reason that you see vapor trails behind airplanes is the air in compressed when exiting the turbines causing it to cool and the liquid vapors to turn to ice crystals.

I have also though of the same reasoning for aircooling where a jet turbine is used, the problem is the PSI output and the Heatsink, to have a HS that can take that pressure you would have to have one with a lot of surface are for cooling but virtually no wind resistance.

If the HS has too great a resistance you would either rip the CPU out of socket or break off a section of the mobo.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts