Overclock.net banner

[TheRegister]Apple begs ex-Google bods to fix crap maps app

9902 90
Quote:
As reported on Friday, Apple is hastily hiring software engineers to fix its disastrous new Maps App. Not surprisingly, it appears the iPhone maker hopes to lure them from Google.

Bosses are, we're told, sweet-talking engineers with experience in the sprawling Google maps team to woo them to Team Apple.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/24/google_maps_engineers_apple/

redface.gif

This comes after it was revealed that Apple were rushing to hire some maps engineers to fix Maps. (This link is also in the source).
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
lol

Not even Google can fix this mess.

·
Premium Member
6,275 Posts
I'm sure a memo is soon to go out at Google:

"If Apple offers you anything, we'll double it."

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldari View Post

I'm sure a memo is soon to go out at Google:

"If Apple offers you anything, we'll double it."
lachen.gif

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Haha this is pretty funny.... that is what Apple gets for pushing out a unreleased product just to get away from Google.. in the end they're hurting their customers. But since they're iFanatic, they'll believe anything Apple says

·
Banned
12,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post

Apple will fire the software engineers after they are done fixing Apple's map because they will no longer need them.
Computer engineers are usually not disposed of like that, they're far too valuable. http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2012/09/24/161573307/employee-shopping-acqui-hire-is-the-new-normal-in-silicon-valley
Quote:
Tech companies like Google, Facebook and Zynga are on a shopping spree. They're buying small startups with innovative products and apps. But, many times, the tech giants don't care about what the small companies were producing. They just want the engineers.

There's a new name for these deals: the "acqui-hire," and it could mean the end to your favorite app.

I first noticed the phenomenon this summer when Google swallowed my favorite email app. I paid money for it, and now it's headed for a slow death. Google just wanted the developers and was happy to buy the whole company to get them.

Gabor Cselle knows what that's like. In 2008, he created another email app called reMail. It made it easier to search mail on a phone. As it started to catch on, Cselle got his own call from Google.

"In comes Google and says, 'How about we pay you a nice amount of money and you don't have to do all these things and you can work on something exciting?' " Cselle says.

They wanted reMail. Or, maybe I should say, they wanted reMail to get Cselle.

"The product itself got shut down," Cselle says.

This is the crazy world of talent acquisition. "Acqui-hires" are very Silicon Valley - the product of an explosion of new startups and a shortage of engineering talent.

"Having two or three extremely talented engineers can be worth their weight in gold," says John Coyle, a law professor at the University of North Carolina.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
this is like yahoo's hire of marrisa mayer. the reality is, google understands the cloud better than anyone else and the cloud is the future

·
Premium Member
5,043 Posts
I wonder if Apples recent deal with TomTom was to remove googles maps/navigation services and botch their own in house alternative, so as to give TomTom a reason to exist for at least some people who own smartphones
tongue.gif

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theturbofd View Post

Why go to apples side lol google apparently has great benefits
Google has insane benefits. They'll continue to pay your salary for 10 years after you die - and then some.

Honestly though, this is pretty funny. Apple wanted to get rid of google maps, so they made their own maps, realized it wasn't as good, and is now trying to hire people FROM google maps to work on their own maps. It would have been MUCH simpler to simply use google maps...

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post

this is like yahoo's hire of marrisa mayer. the reality is, google understands the cloud better than anyone else and the cloud is the future
Then Google better be ready to offer ultra-high speed connections without a data cap, to everybody. Because as it is, ISP's aren't as excited about cloud computing as Google
frown.gif

·
Premium Member
67,312 Posts
$85K isn't that much....

I wonder if the ex-Googler have a non-competition clause in their contacts.

·
Banned
12,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

$85K isn't that much....

Agreed, $85k won't be swaying any engineers away from Google, I'd estimate $125k is where offers should be starting for that kind of programming.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis142 View Post

Then Google better be ready to offer ultra-high speed connections without a data cap, to everybody. Because as it is, ISP's aren't as excited about cloud computing as Google
frown.gif
i honestly think that's what they are moving towards. look what they did in kansas city. and they don't have to gouge their customers to be successful-they have other business interests

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordikon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

$85K isn't that much....

Agreed, $85k won't be swaying any engineers away from Google, I'd estimate $125k is where offers should be starting for that kind of programming.
Those are people who just finished their contract with Google and need a job.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.