Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basicaly i tried out a new thermal compound. IC diamond 7 - can be baught for $6.99 off heatsink factory.com.

My system specs:
dfi dk lanparty m2rs
FX62
Zalman 9700
140mm fan in front
120mm fan in back
250mm fan on side
2x1GB patriot extream performance 800mhz 4 4 4 12
2 400gb samsung drives in raid 0
sapphire 100225l 3870 512mb ddr4
blah blah rest doesn't matter much

heres my results:
No compound: 30c idle 65c+load(shutdown set in bios)
Artic silver 5: 27c idle 48c load(woot) (fresh application)
Artic silver 5: 27c idle 46c load(woot again) (2 week set in)
IC diamond7: 24c idle 36c load(10 minute dryout)
IC diamond7: ?? ?? (2 hour cure not ready yet lol)

i dunno bout you, but a 10 degree drop on a 125 watt proc is impressive when your already at 46c... and thats only on air

IC diamond is.. let me copy and paste lol

Each tube of IC Diamond Thermal grease contains 7 carats of micronized diamond with diamond particle loadings @ 92% by weight, 94% after 10 minute dry-out prior to heat sink installation. Material loading above 90% is recommended as the best combination of rheological and thermal properties to minimize interface pump out due to thermal cycling.
Superior bulk conductivity
Excellent thermal impedance
Tight particle distributions
< 40 ì maximum particle diameter
Silicone free
Lower viscosity
Greater stability
Non capacitive or electrically conductive

diamonds 4-10 better than silver in transfering heat(depends on the diamond)
someone go do some benchmarks and post em in a good place:p

let the world know better is out there

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSalt
View Post

Basicaly i tried out a new thermal compound. IC diamond 7 - can be baught for $6.99 off heatsink factory.com.

heres my results:
No compound: 30c idle 65c+load(shutdown set in bios)
Artic silver 5: 27c idle 48c load(woot) (fresh application)
Artic silver 5: 27c idle 46c load(woot again) (2 week set in)
IC diamond7: 24c idle 36c load(10 minute dryout)
IC diamond7: ?? ?? (2 hour cure not ready yet lol)

Does that mean none what so ever

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Whats your ambient temp? and other case fans etc.

My Zalman 9700 idles at around 20 and loads at 55-60 and thats at around 13'c ambient with MX-2

·
Registered
602 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by quakermaas
View Post

Does that mean none what so ever

Maybe he lapped it so much it was a perfect fit.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I know this may be off topic but i just built my new PC and didnt put any thermal compound on the CPU. Is it really neccessary?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nugget View Post
I know this may be off topic but i just built my new PC and didnt put any thermal compound on the CPU. Is it really neccessary?
If you are using the stock cooler that came with the CPU then it is not neccessary, because the cooler has got compount on it, but if you have an aftermarket cpu cooler on the cpu without any compount then i'd suggest you turn off your computer and put some on.

-FilluX

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FilluX View Post
If you are using the stock cooler that came with the CPU then it is not neccessary, because the cooler has got compount on it, but if you have an aftermarket cpu cooler on the cpu without any compount then i'd suggest you turn off your computer and put some on.

-FilluX
Yea its stock thanks for that.

You'd think after like 4 years and 1k+ post's i would know that by now

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
yes it is. it helps conduct heat away from the CPU and towards the heatsink.

i VERY VERY VERY strongly suggest you put some thermal paste or compound of some sort onto there... your CPU will probably overheat without it. Arctic Silver 5 is good stuff for the job

as for the stock cooler, yeah, it comes with some... if it's the stock cooler then don't worry - you're covered unless you rubbed it off, rofl

·
Registered
65 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^
View Post

as for the stock cooler, yeah, it comes with some... if it's the stock cooler then don't worry - you're covered unless you rubbed it off, rofl

What? You mean it's not mud

·
Iconoclast
30,610 Posts
A 10C drop from switching thermal grease is extremely unlikely, unless you were doing something seriously wrong before.

There must be other factors influencing the results.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
I say, take whatever stock crap they used off and buy some good thermal paste for like 5-6 bucks...I like MX-2 myself, and have heard good things about OCZ freeze as well. You will get a good temp drop from it. I don't know about 10c between 2 different brands/types but going from the crap they put on(and normaly way way too much) you might see 6c or more. clean off the old crap with some alcohol. A good TIM is the cheapest couple of c's you can get.''

If there really is not any on there you NEED to go buy some. I would slap whoever built your computer.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts