Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i had my stock cooling i used to get idle temps between 28-30 c and now tht i got the tt silent tower and antec 5(same as as5) its at 36-42.....could reappklying a thinner layer help?

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
yes, u dont want to put much at all, u should try reapplying because those temps do sound a little high. and also make sure the fans of the heatsink are not being blocked by anything.

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by adas123

yes, u dont want to put much at all, u should try reapplying because those temps do sound a little high. and also make sure the fans of the heatsink are not being blocked by anything.

well there is some wires in the way but not much....the only thing is tht its a p-i-t-a to do all tht but wtv...u think it would make a diff?

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by illusion34

well there is some wires in the way but not much....the only thing is tht its a p-i-t-a to do all tht but wtv...u think it would make a diff?

run me through how much should be applied... would doing it with a razor help???

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

run me through how much should be applied... would doing it with a razor help???

Anything with a firm flat edge will do the trick, a razor would work perfectly. Credit cards work well too. As far as how much, I don't know how much exactly to tell you measurement wise, but you don't want it too think, yet you don't want it goobered all over the place either. If you have one of the paper cd holders i'd say about that thick.

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by *******

Anything with a firm flat edge will do the trick, a razor would work perfectly. Credit cards work well too.

is there ever a too thin when iot comes to this?

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

is there ever a too thin when iot comes to this?

Yes, there is a point where it could be too thin depending on how flat the base of your heatsink is. Their needs to be enough on the top of the die to fill any pits in the heatsink, so you don't want to apply it to thin.

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by *******

Yes, there is a point where it could be too thin depending on how flat the base of your heatsink is. Their needs to be enough on the top of the die to fill any pits in the heatsink, so you don't want to apply it to thin.

k i got a heat spreader..... des it matter if theres none on the edges of it...but how thicj or thin should it be... its better for me too now before i take this thing apart

·
Banned
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

k i got a heat spreader..... des it matter if theres none on the edges of it...but how thicj or thin should it be... its better for me too now before i take this thing apart

and do i have to give the thermal compound abit of time to set befor i apply the hs and turn it on?

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

and do i have to give the thermal compound abit of time to set befor i apply the hs and turn it on?

Read the last part of my first post again, I edited it and you probably didn't see it, I gave you a good estimate of how much thermal to apply. And no it doesnt have to be on the edges.

No time is necessary to let the compound sit before you put the heatsink on or boot up the computer, there is a time that it needs to cure though before it start performing at its peak, but does not mean that you can't use your computer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts