Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
I use cotton on IHSless CPU's. But coffee filters work good on processors with IHSes. I use rubbing alcohol (I think it's 80%, but I'm not sure), NEVER use fingernail polish remover, because it is an acetone.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
A lot of fingernail polish also has minerals in it to strengthen nails, good for nails, bad for processors. Like it was said above, try and get above 95%. Its hard because a lot of places only carry 70'ish% but if you try a lot of drug stores, your sure to find one. Make sure you really wipe the CPU off though because any lint or whatnot can spell trouble for your processor. I always use cotton swabs. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I use my wifes nail polish remover pads(cotton rounds), they are lint free. Don't cost much , and you can get them at any drug store.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Uh oh.... Lol i read on arctic silver website and they told me not to use any liquids due to danger of it getting into the cpu needles or something like that. So i looked at the picture and i used a napkin like they did. So far so good as I am running my cpu, lets home nothing bad happens.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
u can use alcohal because it evaporates quickly... and leaves no residue...thats about the safest liquid cleaner to use...and it will work best and it removes the oils from your fingers that can contaminate the as5 and decrease efficiency..

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Carbuerator cleaner will clean the heatsink in nothing flat. It'll all evaporate and leave absolutely no residue. It also works extremely well at removing those stubborn heat pads. I don't know about putting it on the processor, though. I guess I'd use it if the proc has an IHS but if not, I'd be worried.

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinhead-227
Carbuerator cleaner will clean the heatsink in nothing flat. It'll all evaporate and leave absolutely no residue. It also works extremely well at removing those stubborn heat pads. I don't know about putting it on the processor, though. I guess I'd use it if the proc has an IHS but if not, I'd be worried.

Carburerator cleaner is corrossive, had a friend that did that to his video card and killed it.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrabb1920
Carburerator cleaner is corrossive, had a friend that did that to his video card and killed it.
That's why I wouldn't do it on the chip. Just the heatsink.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts