Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I noticed one of the thermal pads not fully touching the entire VRAM chip, will this be an issue on that chip overheating? Is it fine since it’s a small section of it?

Gas Composite material Auto part Engineering Electrical wiring

·
Iconoclast
32,786 Posts
A DRAM die is a lot smaller than the GDDR BGA package, and should be entirely covered by that pad. I'd be more concerned about the apparent lack of compression on the pad, as those pads are quit thick and most don't get anywhere near rated thermal conductivity unless compressed significantly. That said, unless it's a GDDR6X part (which don't exist on AMD cards), it's almost certainly fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A DRAM die is a lot smaller than the GDDR BGA package, and should be entirely covered by that pad. I'd be more concerned about the apparent lack of compression on the pad, as those pads are quit thick and most don't get anywhere near rated thermal conductivity unless compressed significantly. That said, unless it's a GDDR6X part (which don't exist on AMD cards), it's almost certainly fine.
Thanks for the clarification. It’s an ASUS ROG STRIX Radeon RX 6800 OC using GDDR6. I’ll run some tests and report back memory temps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here are my temps @Blameless

Room temp: 28C
GPU: 65C
GPU HS: 87C
GPU Memory: 72C

Is is normal for the GPU Hot Spot temp to be around 15-20C more during load?

View attachment 2569111
Mine is too. From what I understand its normal and only LM makes big difference. I was hitting 99c junction before changing pads and paste (normal paste not LM).
Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

·
Iconoclast
32,786 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: Erazor0

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nice. What pads did you use? I'm thinking if I should change mine.

Are those temps when running Time Spy? General gaming my temps are lower.
this was gaming but this is timespy.
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number

I used gelic gc extreme paste and gelid ultimate pads.

• Rep+
Reactions: Erazor0
1 - 10 of 10 Posts