Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I need to change the thermal paste of the graphic so I want to change the thermal pads as well but I am in doubt to know if what thickness thermal pads do I need, 0.5mm or 1mm? It is a Sapphire Nitro + Radeon rx 580 4gb GDDR5

Thanks.

Enviado desde mi SNE-LX1 mediante Tapatalk

·
Overclocker
11,347 Posts
After doing this once I would rather get a K5 Pro and be done with it.

https://www.computer-systems.gr/en/content/product/k5-pro-60g-3x20g

The pads differ in height, differ in compressibility, differ in heat transfer capabilities and the good ones cost a fortune. All the while you have to know precisely what thickness you need which you can often only find out from disassembling first. You have the card so do it.

Or you could use the paste/goo instead of a pad up to 3 mm thickness and not worry about pad thickness at all.

·
Robocop is #1 movie ever
2,186 Posts
Hi! I need to change the thermal paste of the graphic so I want to change the thermal pads as well but I am in doubt to know if what thickness thermal pads do I need, 0.5mm or 1mm? It is a Sapphire Nitro + Radeon rx 580 4gb GDDR5

Thanks.

Enviado desde mi SNE-LX1 mediante Tapatalk
The pads used on GPUs are generally the gooey type that you can reuse just fine. If they look a little dry put a little drop of paste on them and you will be fine.

It is difficult to compare existing pads to aftermarket pads as the compressability is vastly different. Good pads are stiff and brittle, the gooey stuff the manufacturers use squishes down to fit.

Usually it is 0.5mm on the memory and 1mm on the VRMs. Worst case you could stack 0.5 on top of the 1.0 to get 1.5 if that is what was needed. I've done that before and it worked fine.

Personally though, I would reuse the stock gooey stuff. Only replace it if it is dry and brittle which is unlikely given the age of even the oldest rx580s.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts