Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have noctua NT-h1

Should i apply a thin layer on my i7 with a plastic card and mount my XSPC water block?

I did a grain of rice which should be covering the whole cpu but i am a paranoid mofo

i dont want my chip looking like this

i also know i am not supposed to spread paste around the cpu but to let pressure close it down to provide an even spread with no air bubbles

in this situation should i just go ahead and spread the thinnest layer to cover? or put a rice grain in the middle and let it expand out potentially not covering every millimeter of the IHS

·
Registered
983 Posts
Grain of rice and spread with plastic card covering all the surface of the Heatspreader. That's how I do it and it works fine. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
Just use a pea sized blob in the middle of the CPU.
*DO NOT SPREAD IT*
Spreading only introduces air bubbles and reduces thermal conductivity.

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM95 View Post

Just use a pea sized blob in the middle of the CPU.
*DO NOT SPREAD IT*
Spreading only introduces air bubbles and reduces thermal conductivity.
i know and its why i hate thinking about doing it or the people who actually are willing to create air bubbles in their tim...

but as in that picture, with a heatsink on top, is that cpu safe? is that guy going to burn out his cpu when overclocked since some of the chip has absolutely no tim?

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrWhopper View Post

i know and its why i hate thinking about doing it or the people who actually are willing to create air bubbles in their tim...

but as in that picture, with a heatsink on top, is that cpu safe? is that guy going to burn out his cpu when overclocked since some of the chip has absolutely no tim?
The actual cores (the bits that get hot) are right in the middle of the CPU. Here's a 3770K delidded, you can see the rectangular bit in the middle is where the magic happens. As long as thermal paste covers that area you're good.

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i will probably run for a few days or weeks and then remove my waterblock, im just scared i wont be able to set it as good as i did the first time

its hard to hold it over where the screws will go, press it down properly without making all the paste shift AND screwing them into the backplate.... :/

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
Quote:

i will probably run for a few days or weeks and then remove my waterblock, im just scared i wont be able to set it as good as i did the first time

its hard to hold it over where the screws will go, press it down properly without making all the paste shift AND screwing them into the backplate.... :/
It's not easy, just make sure that when you first lower the waterblock on to the CPU it's as flat as possible.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Like this, you can see it for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffK7L0Qj13Q

I +1 for rice/pea blob and NOT spreading it out (creates airbubbels)

The meaning of TIM is to fill the microscopic gaps in the material of the chip and the heatsink. Otherwise when you just put the heatsink on the cpu it would work also very well, just here and there those tiny gaps)

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i honestly think i did do good, since it took me 3 applications + 3 cleanings to MOUNT the heatsink with the right amount and i did a p in the middle instead of a vertical line

im really scared of trying to do good or better.. im ight just be too nitpicky for a +2-4C difference in a core that also has other factors in it
frown.gif

·
r/madlads
8,728 Posts
Between spreading (Like a idiot, that was when i was young) and rice pea size, rice pea gave me 5-6C better temps dipping from 68 to low 60s
Spreading is only useful for filling up the gaps in a heatpipe direct touch heatsink not to get any of the actual stuff on the pipes themselves or the IHS

·
Premium Member
5,508 Posts
The BB-sized dot is not the only method that works, just the most foolproof. I personally have had fantastic results from "tinting", and with my 3930K and other large IHS's, an "X" or 1/2/3 parallel lines works quite well.

I have had the best temps when the TIM didn't spread out over the entire IHS, butiinstead formed a circle and left the corners and a bit of the edges untouched. This is one scenario where you are actually better off going with Less than you feel is correct, as too much is just as bad (and far more hassle).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Quote:

So I have noctua NT-h1

Should i apply a thin layer on my i7 with a plastic card and mount my XSPC water block?

I did a grain of rice which should be covering the whole cpu but i am a paranoid mofo

i dont want my chip looking like this

i also know i am not supposed to spread paste around the cpu but to let pressure close it down to provide an even spread with no air bubbles

in this situation should i just go ahead and spread the thinnest layer to cover? or put a rice grain in the middle and let it expand out potentially not covering every millimeter of the IHS
Every block manufactured now days is bowed. Bowed blocks do not make contact with 100% of the surface spreaders face, they only contact the most important area, directly above the actual processor core.

Don't worry about the paste not covering the heatspreader, it doesn't matter.

Stick with the rice grain method, and DO NOT spread it yourself. You'll just create air bubbles, let the mounting force do the spreading for you.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
There's nothing wrong with how that chip looks. Though it looks like you didn't cross tighten the bolts like you should have. Makes sure you start in one corner, then go diagonally, then either of the two remaining and end. It almost looks like you tightened the whole left side first on that image. Also remember to not lift up on the chip, once it's down, keep it down and tighten it up. If you lift it up accidentally or not, and place it down again without reapplying you'll create air bubbles which won't do you any good.

I agree with the rest though, rice or pea sized dot in the center and not spreading it has always given me the best results.

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

There's nothing wrong with how that chip looks. Though it looks like you didn't cross tighten the bolts like you should have. Makes sure you start in one corner, then go diagonally, then either of the two remaining and end. It almost looks like you tightened the whole left side first on that image. Also remember to not lift up on the chip, once it's down, keep it down and tighten it up. If you lift it up accidentally or not, and place it down again without reapplying you'll create air bubbles which won't do you any good.

I agree with the rest though, rice or pea sized dot in the center and not spreading it has always given me the best results.
If you read the post you would know thats a random picture, never said it was my chip
smile.gif

thanks, i did the rice grain method, i just dont know how it ended up after i mounted my water block
tongue.gif
its very hard to sit the waterblock with tubing since it already has pressure at an angle making youhold it firm since its being pulled

·
Premium Member
5,508 Posts
I really think it should be renamed "the BB method", as a dot exactly the size of a typical .177cal BB has always been exactly perfect for me
smile.gif

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solonowarion View Post

I think it is easy to overthink things like this. Do it a couple of times and try it out for yourself and see what works best.
you are right, unfortunately i did it 3 times to actually mount the waterblock because it moved half an inch when i was trying to tighten screws and i would remove, clean, and repaste
frown.gif

i finally had got it down and im sure it was better than the first 2 times seeing as how much paste got on there but im not sure if i can mount the block better..the tubes pull it at an awkward angle and its almost impossible to seat it perfectly

(an no i would never mount the block first then attack tubing to the water block and leaktest my cooling system inside my pc
smile.gif
)

·
Not a Linux Lobbyist
1,079 Posts
Quote:

(an no i would never mount the block first then attack tubing to the water block and leaktest my cooling system inside my pc
smile.gif
)
In my opinion that is the only way to do it. Unless you are loving the build process and realy want to drag it out. Only have power running to your pump and nothing else. Lay some paper towel down in pc. If some water does leak it wont damage anything because there is no power running through it. As long as you pay attention and tighten all fittings you really should never run into any issues.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.