Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my friend got the red rings of death on his xbox after painting his case and so he decided to bake it...then it didn't work. He gave the xbox to me after he bought a new one because he is not real tech savvy.

So I turned it on and I got 2 rings of death. I looked it up and it means the xbox is overheating. After opening it up and looking inside it looked fine. So I figured that there must be no thermal paste or something along those lines.

I take off the heatsinks and see this

(by the way this is after cleaning it to its fullest extent with isopropyl alcohol)

What is that? My guess, melted thermal paste. It's disgusting. So how should I try and clean this off? I'm thinking heatgun, any suggestions? Also notice the dent on one of the chips...I hope it still works.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
i would guess your friend wasnt good enough with computers to know that you need to take off the heatsinks and thermal paste when he baked it...it looks like it should come off eventually....probably nothing you can do about the smell though...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great optimism guys hahahaha

Quote:

Originally Posted by wumpus
View Post

\\...probably nothing you can do about the smell though...

How'd you know it smells? It's pretty bad, like some funky play-doh.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Are you sure thats thermal paste??

Almost looks like burnt glue or something. BLEH!

Wow and that's after cleaning with iso alcohol too?

If it's giving 2 rings and not 3 thats actually not a terrible sign.

3 means it's got a short circuit somewhere. Like bad connection with solder under gpu/cpu.

Try cleaning that junk off more best you can. I'd recommend a credit card and a little elbow grease. Goof off and some other stronger solvents might help. Iso alcohol is usually all I need but that might need more.

Just be careful if that stuff is really baked in to not take any mobo pieces off when ur trying to remove it.

If you can try putting some iso alcohol on it and putting a cap or something over it so it doesn't evaporate and can give it time to dissolve.

Just some ideas.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah thanks, I think I'll pick up some goo be gone and try some more tomorrow. on one of them i could put thermal paste on but the other (don't know which is gpu and cpu) its totally crusted over the actual chip...If all fails i'll try heating it up with a heat gun and maybe see if I can scrape it off that way.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright so I got all the gunk off with a heatgun and I put it back together, except now I'm getting the RROD...could that dented chip cause the RROD? Anyone?

·
Banned
2,145 Posts
You'd probly damage the cpu with a heat gun. If its not already. Go be gone or whatever probly wouldnt work either. Try acid or a hammer.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxhockey1563
View Post

Alright so I got all the gunk off with a heatgun and I put it back together, except now I'm getting the RROD...could that dented chip cause the RROD? Anyone?

Get the secondary code. That'll help to figure out what is causing the RROD.

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair...rror-codes.htm

--==SECONDARY ERROR CODES==-
The specific type of hardware failure can be determined by a "hidden" error code

* Turn the xbox 360 on, and wait till the 3 red lights are flashing.
* Press and hold the sync up button (the small white one), while holding that button press the eject button.
* The LEDs will now blink the first number in the code (as described below).
* Release the eject button and press it again.
* The LEDs will now blink the second number of the code.
* The LEDs will now blink the third number of the code.
* The LEDs will now blink the forth number of the code.
* The LEDs will go back to the 3 red flashing lights.

You should be able to determine the difference between the 3 flashing lights and the error code lights by the rate in which they flash.

Here is how you interpret the LEDs to get the code number:

* All four lights flashing - 0
* One light flashing - 1
* Two Lights flashing - 2
* Three lights flashing - 3

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxhockey1563
View Post

So my friend got the red rings of death on his xbox after painting his case and so he decided to bake it...then it didn't work. He gave the xbox to me after he bought a new one because he is not real tech savvy.

So I turned it on and I got 2 rings of death. I looked it up and it means the xbox is overheating. After opening it up and looking inside it looked fine. So I figured that there must be no thermal paste or something along those lines.

I take off the heatsinks and see this

(by the way this is after cleaning it to its fullest extent with isopropyl alcohol)

What is that? My guess, melted thermal paste. It's disgusting. So how should I try and clean this off? I'm thinking heatgun, any suggestions? Also notice the dent on one of the chips...I hope it still works.

Hundreds of dollars of disappoint.

·
Linux Lobbyist
2,039 Posts
Also, depending on when/where the 360 was made they may have used Thermal Epoxy. Think AS5, but in permanent glue form. that may also be what caused the dent in that chip - the epoxy could have been bonded very well in that spot and you could have pulled a chunk of the chip out...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have to do some reading, but I might try and reball the gpu with a completely new GPU. I found the new GPU for $20 on ebay and a stencil is like $20 too. My dad might have access to a professional reballing machine so it might be a fun project to attempt. At this point I almost know nothing about reballing and exactly what it is, but from my understanding it's basically just resoldering the GPU to the motherboard?

P.S. My secondary code was 0002, which was networking problem (which it obviously isn't)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts