Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pastes tested:

Test Bed:
Intel i7 860 @ 4.2ghz HT/on 1.336v
MSI P55-GD80
Gskill Ripjaws 1866mhz @ 2000mhz
Thermalright Venomous-X (San Ace @12v- 2318rpm +- )
Lian Li K62 (fans @ 12v/)
Silverstone ST70F power supply
2x Diamond Radeon 4890s

Room Temperature- 20*C

Testing Method:
Fresh Application of paste, then run Prime95 Small FTT for 15mins, idle for 15mins, Prime95 Large FTT for 15mins, idle for 15mins, Prime95 blend for 15mins, then 30mins of Prime95 Large FTT.

Average temperature across 4-cores is taken for results.

Idle Results:

Load Results:

Conclusion/ thoughts:

I was pleasantly surprised by the Thermalright CF2, it was able to beat the rest of the field quite easily. Now it could be that Thermalright optimized their paste for their heatsinks, or it could be that they just made one hell of a thermal paste. I would like to test it on other heatsinks in the future. One thing that let me down was the IC Perihelion, I expected it to stay closer to everything else in the test but wasn't quite able to stick with the rest of the pastes. It would however be a nice paste to use on NB/ SB installations.

·
Registered
9,199 Posts
This is great thanks! Did you by any chance take any reading on the AS5 a week later after some curing time? I wonder if you would of got a couple degrees less from that.

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
too bad I can't see anything here at work.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Nice read. The CF2 is indeed surprising, would've loved to see MX-3 in there though, it's at 1c or more below MX-2 if I recall? I have half empty stuffs of AS5/MX-3/OCZ Freeze so enough to choose from when I mount my VX.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
It's a nice quick comparison but you need to test for a longer period of time. Some TIM's take time to break in (even if they say they don't) which results in lower temps. For example IC7 is still breaking in well over 12 hours after application.

Anyway, the result for Thermalright CF2 looks promising but more thorough review is needed. +rep for the mini shoot out.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kow_ciller View Post
I used AS5 for around 3 weeks before I did this and temps got WORSE over time so I just did the results with a fresh install for every paste.
yeah arctic silver 5 is crap it brought my 4870 temps from 70 to 87 i like the zalmen OEM stuff

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
In b4 sticky!

·
Networking Nerd
2,331 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeevusCompact View Post
How did you keep the room exactly 20c for every test?
Central air? lol

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
Cheers op. I have a VX with two Zalman fans coming on Monday. In that packet I have a tube of MX2. I was debating between the Chillfactor 2 paste from thermalright or MX2. It seems you helped me make my choice. rep +

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
mx-3?

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by twich12 View Post
mx-3?

Its 11 euros in my area

·
Registered
796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wishmaker View Post
Its 11 euros in my area

Doesn't change that it's at 1c+ below MX-2, so would've been interesting in this comparing.

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stance View Post
Doesn't change that it's at 1c+ below MX-2, so would've been interesting in this comparing.

I hope that was a joke. 11 euros MX3, 4.50 MX2. That 1 degree does not justify the price difference.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts