Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to use too much thermal paste? I just installed my h70 and failed to read that I don't tighten the retining plate all the way until I apply the pump to the cpu. So I screwed up the paste that came on the pump and had to clean both cpu and pump off and apply some after market paste but I feel like I used too much and am scared to power on the system. It says its non conductive of elecricty so will I be ok? Thanks :-/

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
The only thing that is going to happen with too much paste is that it doesn't have proper heat transfer and you will get higher temperatures. The way that you should apply thermal paste is a pea sized dot in the center of the CPU and then clamp down- with pressure it will spread the paste over the CPU in a nice thin layer. It is usually better to use a little to (little) thermal paste than too much - if you feel like you put on too much, re do it now while you still have the system pretty much apart
smile.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: Stealth SLI

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I used a plastic spreader but I don't know how thin it really was im sure when I clampped it it squeezed a bunch out the sides but I can't see any around the edges of the h70 pump. I guess I will boot it and if I see temps higher than say....60-70c under load then I may need to redo it? The h70 has two 110 CFM fans on the radiator so I imagine I should achieve a decent temp without overclocking....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
What paste did you use? When I apply thermal grease, I usually use my heatsinks weight (and my own pressure) to smush and spread the compound pretty evenly. You really don't need to use very much.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseth
View Post

This is why i always apply a small pea sized amount. I get excellent temps...
idling at 22*C and full p95 small ffts load at 57*c .. and using sig rig with a70 cooler.

What are you running? Stock? OC?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpokey;13024753
What are you running? Stock? OC?
4.0GHz oc at 1.224v
RAM is stock at 1600MHz (9-9-9-24)
GPU also stock.

Cooler is A70 and thermal paste is the one that came with it.

Btw, in terms of idle i meant browsing the web, youtube in hd and small things like that. If there is absolutely no use then the cpu drops down to 20*C

·
Registered
524 Posts
There are tons of tutorials on youtube to apply thermal paste, as easy as it is people still have trouble so you can check those out but, the best way to do it is a pea size right in the center and then just chuck your heat sink on and as you tighten the heatsink down it spreads the paste.

·
Registered
83 Posts
What I did when building my rig, was just put a pea sized dot of Arctic Silver 5 on the center and use one of those plastic card sleeves for bus passes, credit cards, etc. I spread the paste out with the card forcefully and evenly making sure to cover any air gaps just in case.

The paste should fill up any air gaps over the base by being spread evenly but should be also not too thick. The application of the heat sink on top should also spread the paste out and smooth out air gaps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.