Overclock.net banner
361 - 380 of 473 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
TL-C14 is square with padded corners on Amazon $15.53

I've used a couple for while now and really like them. As good as old TY-140/147/147A in my book.
Yeah I purchased a box and posted about them when they were on sale, I was talking about the older SQ models before TR started selling here directly.

·
Premium Member
28,601 Posts
I notice the same but didn't say anything. Hopefully they will soon have more product available on Amazon.

·
Premium Member
28,601 Posts
Yeah I purchased a box and posted about them when they were on sale, I was talking about the older SQ models before TR started selling here directly.
How do you like them?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
How do you like them?
Work well, I have them on alphacool radiators in my new build. I used the old cooljag oem models for my X79 build in 2012 and those were great too. I did have one I had to loosen a bit on the mounting from making noise but radiators mounting are not exactly 100% straight so can't say if it was the fan or the radiator there.

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Fix it till its broke
1,277 Posts
I told you it was the best cooler I have used :D

• Rep+
Reactions: ciarlatano

·
Premium Member
8,662 Posts
It is very good. Speaking in pure performance terms, it outpaces the NH-D15. Sound wise, I would give the win to the NH-D15, but barely. The stock fans on the FC140 are sort of meh and nothing special compared to the NF-A15s (in terms of heatsink application). The TL-D14X is basically an airflow fan and due to materials used, produces audible harmonic resonance if put against any restriction (but it's still a good and quiet fan for the air it pushes). The TL-C12PRO is an outright average fan and very loud at top speeds. The heatsink , either because of geometry or because it's simply too dense, also gives off a slight harmonic resonance noise that can either be outright annoying (stock TL-D14X) or barely noticeable (swap the stock TL-D14X for another fan like a TY-143). If you go by pure dba readings and perceived sound levels, the NH-D15 is a bit better, but in my testing the fans spin up considerably more frequently as the heatsink itself struggles with temperature spikes while the FC140 is able to deal with said spikes much better.

It's a win some lose some type deal, but given the the FC140 is practically half the price of the NH-D15 one may be willing to overlook the loses entirely. Personally I love this thing, and after swapping the stock TL-D14X with my old TY-143 (and throwing out the TL-C12PRO since it produces more noise than it does any cooling improvement) I have no complaints.

• Rep+
Reactions: Dogzilla07

·
Premium Member
28,601 Posts
I told you it was the best cooler I have used :D
Considering how much heat / watts our CPUs produce and how many top tier hi-heat contrilling coolers you've used, you saying Frost Spirit 140 is best is saying a lot.

• Rep+
Reactions: Owterspace

·
Fix it till its broke
1,277 Posts
Considering how much heat / watts our CPUs produce and how many top tier hi-heat contrilling coolers you've used, you saying Frost Spirit 140 is best is saying a lot.
And no one should have any reason to doubt you. ;)
Just throwing this out there but… you guys are awesome :)

Edit:

A link to my builds and how they are sitting currently..

·
Linux Lobbyist
978 Posts
5x8mm heatpipe coolers are just best xD Frost Commander is the perfect spiritual successor to Raijintek Tisis and Phanteks PH-TC14PE. But it takes it a step further with all the Noctua-class compatibility features it brings to the table compared to those 2.

Though a 6x8mm, or 7x8mm dual tower mid-next year would be nice with how big both the new AMD and Intel chips are.

·
Registered
406 Posts
5x8mm heatpipe coolers are just best xD Frost Commander is the perfect spiritual successor to Raijintek Tisis and Phanteks PH-TC14PE. But it takes it a step further with all the Noctua-class compatibility features it brings to the table compared to those 2.

Though a 6x8mm, or 7x8mm dual tower mid-next year would be nice with how big both the new AMD and Intel chips are.
I'm still angry at myself for accidentally destroying my PH-TC14PE while I was moving. If that cooler had a weakness, it was the thickness of the baseplate between the heat pipes and the cold plate, which adds a small but significant amount of thermal resistance. The FC140 seems to be much better in that regard.

Hood Automotive lighting Art Automotive design Font

Automotive tire Stairs Automotive lighting Grey Hood

·
Fix it till its broke
1,277 Posts
Last weekend I flogged my 5900X, thought you would enjoy the background music I had :D

Font Rectangle Technology Screenshot Parallel

Electronic instrument Gas Audio receiver Machine Audio equipment

·
Fix it till its broke
1,277 Posts
I have been playing with the latest beta bios for my board a little bit. The vcore is capped, and boosting has been cut back a fair bit, but performance is still very strong.. I have not seen the CPU put out those kind of values before, which is neat that it is doing it with less voltage at the top end. I am impressed it kept itself under 85.

Black Font Screenshot Technology Software

Black Font Screenshot Technology Software

• Rep+
Reactions: CrustyJuggler

·
Premium Member
28,601 Posts
I have been playing with the latest beta bios for my board a little bit. The vcore is capped, and boosting has been cut back a fair bit, but performance is still very strong.. I have not seen the CPU put out those kind of values before, which is neat that it is doing it with less voltage at the top end. I am impressed it kept itself under 85.

View attachment 2559802

View attachment 2559802
Nice!

• Rep+
Reactions: Owterspace

·
Registered
147 Posts
Some good sales on the FC140 here in the US for Amazon Prime Day. Just FYI.

·
Fix it till its broke
1,277 Posts
Took mine out for some fresh air and sunlight today.. also had a date with my Datavac..

Bumper Rectangle Automotive design Gas Automotive exterior

• Rep+
Reactions: deepor

·
Registered
1 Posts
Isn't the FC140 a bit of a downgrade in terms of surface area compared to the FS140? The FC140 only has 53 fins whereas the FS140 has 58.

I haven't seen any 1:1 comparisons of the heatsinks using identical fans to see how much the performance difference is due to fins and heatpipe differences.

·
Premium Member
8,662 Posts
Isn't the FC140 a bit of a downgrade in terms of surface area compared to the FS140? The FC140 only has 53 fins whereas the FS140 has 58.

I haven't seen any 1:1 comparisons of the heatsinks using identical fans to see how much the performance difference is due to fins and heatpipe differences.
With the extra heatpipe and the faster stock fans it should not be a downgrade from a pure performance perspective. Once you go on swapping fans it may be a bit different.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Isn't the FC140 a bit of a downgrade in terms of surface area compared to the FS140?
+1 on what @Melcar said. To add a bit more specificity, the Frost Commander has four less full length fins and one less of the shorter fins due having a 1.8 instead of a 1.6 mm fin pitch. So the Frost Commander should present a somewhat lower impedance load to fans, which I suspect offsets the decrease in fin area by increasing fin efficiency at the higher RPMs supported by the TL-C12 pro and TL-D14X versus the TL-C12 (non-pro) and TL-D14 on the Frost Spirit.

That comparison's probably somewhat complicated by the bending and stacking of the fins—I don't know of anyone that's got both Frosts for making a close comparison of the fin geometries and fin-fin and fin-heatpipe attachments—and the additional deadspotting in the eddies behind the Frost Commander's additional heatpipe. But, at this point anyway, I've no grounds to think I can usefully second guess Thermalright's ability to match the fin pitch to the fans.

Me neither, though I think it'd be quite interesting. Or even comparisons with the stock fans. In the build I mostly finished last week I intentionally used a Frost Spirit instead of the Frost Commander since there's several folks here with Frost Commanders but no Frost Spirit representation that I've seen.

So far the Frost Spirit looks like comfortable overkill for the build as it holds the CPU under +45 °C ΔT without the TL-C12 going above ~900 RPM even when the GPU's adding ~330 W to ~133 W from the CPU. The Spirit's fans get a little drubby if they're pushed up to max RPM (1500ish for both, though the TL-D14 spins slower than the TL-C12 unless you start manipulating the individual curves) but no noise complaints from me across their usual operating range. So I've no reason rationalizable excuse to also get a Frost Commander and do comparative measurements.

Where I'd expect the Spirit and Commander to show meaningful differences is with ~200+ W out of the CPU, maybe if a high end GPU is pushing noticeably more heat into their intake, and perhaps in less well ventilated cases.

361 - 380 of 473 Posts