Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 306 Posts

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As "leaked" from ChipHell, purportedly soon(TM):
(though given the existence of an actual retail packaging, probable; they're usually designed and cut last)

5.jpg

6.jpg

fans.jpg

7.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Original post found here: https://www.chiphell.com/thread-2164455-1-1.html

Will be interesting to see it tested, assuming anyone capable picks it up.. Best case scenario, Gamers Nexus or Hardware Unboxed will, and they're both useless. Or if we're really lucky, maybe JayzzzztwoCentz(!11) will, he has that revolutionary method of fan testing; you know, the one without any numbers, just a hankerchief (EK Vardar fans, video's still up; he even goes on to proclaim them the best ever! Talk about dedication to science). Amazing stuff.
Either way, while the fin arrangement's a nice idea, they're still too spread apart for my liking, though i grant that the majority of users will benefit from that design as they aim for sub-1500 revolutions. Just.. not the way to get that Performance Crown, now is it.
My cynical self also has a thing or two to say about the different fan casings, but.. there'll be time enough for that :)

(Noctua needs to get their stuff in gear pronto; first the new Assassin, now this. That new NHD15 is about two years late; i honestly wonder if they got too big for their own good, goes together with slow, or if they're having production issues; volume coming to mind mostly)

·
PC Enthusiast
1,026 Posts
RGB fans from Thermalright. Didn't see that one coming.

Four 8 mm-thick nickel-plated copper heat pipes pull heat from the mirror-finish nickel-plated copper base, spreading it across the fin-stacks.
Techpowerup

Very interested to see how it performs.

Perhaps we'll also see xtreme versions?

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps we'll also see xtreme versions?
Wouldn't mind :)
But honestly? I mostly wish they revised their mounting mechanism; it's not exactly the easiest to work with, to put it kindly.

The rgb fans may a letdown for the few remaining normal people on this planet, but.. makes sense for TR given the audience; it's what it is.
(i've stocked up on TY143s like you wouldn't believe.. got me a vaccuum sealer and have each fan individually packaged, lol. Sooner or later, they too will join the rainbow parade, inevitable. Man has to be prepared!)

·
PC Enthusiast
1,026 Posts
Wouldn't mind :)
But honestly? I mostly wish they revised their mounting mechanism; it's not exactly the easiest to work with, to put it kindly.

The rgb fans may a letdown for the few remaining normal people on this planet, but.. makes sense for TR given the audience; it's what it is.
(i've stocked up on TY143s like you wouldn't believe.. got me a vaccuum sealer and have each fan individually packaged, lol. Sooner or later, they too will join the rainbow parade, inevitable. Man has to be prepared!)
TY143s are one of a kind, Only wished they were black & white like TY147s.
Like you mentioned in your OP, the fin design seems to favour low speed fans, high speed fans may not be very effective.

Every Dual tower cooler have somewhat ripped off nhd14's mounting mechanism & it seems like TR have done it too. Mounting should be quite hassle free. :D

And yeah, when I see the Nh D16 with aRGB fans, I wouldn't be surprised. :p

·
Registered
596 Posts
1. It's unimpressive. Even at 8mm, 4 heatpipes it's not gonna compete at the top end.

2. I don't like dual tower coolers as they focus raw power rather than eficiency. And 99% users don't use coolers at max fan speed.

3. It's probably not gonna be available in the west,...... and by west, i mean Europe/US.

4. I agree about NOCTUA to some extent, but as long as media picture the NH d15 as the undisputed king, there's not much to do.

Media has a really strong impact in people's minds. I've seen video reviews, very often, where the issue was shown on the screen, while the reviewer giving props to the product. Nobody would react to the issue. It's completely incredible.

·
Registered
328 Posts
id love to see a comparison to the true spirit 140 power plus i dont think finding supply should be an issue (hopefully) in the US. you can get most any thermalright cooler now from nan's store on amazon

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,213 Posts
Will be interesting to see it tested, assuming anyone capable picks it up.. Best case scenario, Gamers Nexus or Hardware Unboxed will, and they're both useless. Or if we're really lucky, maybe JayzzzztwoCentz(!11) will, he has that revolutionary method of fan testing; you know, the one without any numbers, just a hankerchief (EK Vardar fans, video's still up; he even goes on to proclaim them the best ever! Talk about dedication to science). Amazing stuff.
LOL....the state of component reviews is so sad. Information makes no difference, just be a talking head that is relatable to people who spend fifteen hours a day alone playing video games. And for your info, Jay has renamed his channel to JayzzzEKShillzzzzz (cuz they give me all my gearzzzzzz).

• Rep+
Reactions: Aenra

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
LOL....the state of component reviews is so sad. Information makes no difference
Yes.. worse still, most are either unable to acknowledge this, on a technical field for crying out loud, or simply don't care i guess?
Extra tragedy cookies given that the above stands today. The 'Era of Information'. Free information at that, is it not?

To the user (edit: it's Shenhua, apologies) before the beloved Charlatan, criticising the heat pipes, heat pipes aren't everything. Proven time and time again; they are a significant contributing factor, but far from a sole indicator. Patience :)
I agree about media and appearances of course; which is why i'm perplexed with Noctua's delay, perception is king and they know it. This goes beyond their NH-D15 mind you. They went through all the trouble to design a proper Threadripper cooler, also announced over a year ago, functional samples at expeditions and everything, launch to coincide with the 3960Xs/70Xs. And? Where is it?
/crickets

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yes.. worse still, most are either unable to acknowledge this, on a technical field for crying out loud, or simply don't care i guess?
Extra tragedy cookies given that the above stands today. The 'Era of Information'. Free information at that, is it not?

To the user before the beloved Charlatan, criticising the heat pipes, heat pipes aren't everything. Proven time and time again; they are a significant contributing factor, but far from a sole indicator. Patience :)
Heatpipes are a conditioning factor. Look at the 212 clones. Better or worst, they're all on the same level.

This cooler's performance, is gonna be on the level of a macho rev.b, Mugen 5 (with fast fan).

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heatpipes are a conditioning factor. Look at the 212 clones.
Edited my former post to mention you by name, but was too slow apparently. Oldfart reflexes, am so fast you can't see me :)

Again, agreed on their being 'a' factor. But taking the 212 as the basis for a definitive argument is stretching it. Either way, we'll have some idea soon enough. Am happy it's coming out either way, the more the merrier :)

·
Fix it till its broke
764 Posts
Extra tragedy cookies omg I’m dieing. I’m home with my kid today and he is wondering what was so funny daddy.

·
Premium Member
4,981 Posts
That chiphell post says this here according to Google Translate:

"[...] four thick ♂ heat pipe, the last gay purple RGB Town House."

·
Fix it till its broke
764 Posts
I know this is a midrange cooler, but I bet it will do well. Fat pipes, with not a lot of bend to them. And look at that cold plate. Mint. Not bad for the price.

·
Registered
596 Posts
But taking the 212 as the basis for a definitive argument is stretching it. Either way, we'll have some idea soon enough. Am happy it's coming out either way, the more the merrier :)
What does you not liking the 212 have to do with it being used as an example? Or argument for that matter. It's the cooler with most clones out there. It's the perfect example.

Or you just can't go past your own bias?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
This was released as IFX-14 in 2007 and as Silver Arrow in 2011. A bit above D14 level of performance at half the price, give or take. The usual.

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Or you just can't go past your own bias?
I didn't state i have one, nor did i allude to it by anything, at all, that i've posted. Which tells me you need to let go of the gear shift for a bit. Your preconceptions are yours; not mine.
Now in rare moments of patience, i do explain things i shouldn't be explaining, to people not worthy of having it all served to them, given their previous comments.

This is admittedly not such a moment.

Extra tragedy cookies omg I’m dieing. I’m home with my kid today and he is wondering what was so funny daddy.
:)

·
Fix it till its broke
764 Posts
This was released as IFX-14 in 2007 and as Silver Arrow in 2011. A bit above D14 level of performance at half the price, give or take. The usual.
A tweaked IFX with a nicer cold plate, and better mount. Its a nice evolution. I cant say I care for RGB, but I would buy this cooler.

·
Premium Member
27,140 Posts
Seems Thermalright is going back in time with this one.

They used 4x 8mm heatpipes in one of the first if not first twin tower CPU coolers way back in 2007, the IFX-14 (L146.2xW124xH161mm/790g with IFX-10 backside heatsink).

Then released Cogage Arrow (L147xW123xH163mm/825g)) (slightly modified IFX-14) in 2009.

Then original Silver Arrow (L127.8xW147xH163mm)(slightly modified Cogage Arrow) in 2010 (L147xW123xH163mm/825g) in 2010.

Cogage Arrow and Silver Arrow cooled a couple degrees better than NH-D14. I never tested IFX-14 against them, but suspect similar temps, maybe a little better because of IFX-10 backside cooler.

A few reviewers have tested NH-D14 against NH-D15 and found with same fans NH-D14 is a little better than D15.

I see no reason to think Frost Spirit performance will different from Thermalright's other 4x 8mm heatpipe cooleers .. meaning Frost Spirit performance will be one of the best air coolers on the market.

1 - 20 of 306 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.