Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
201 - 220 of 306 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,285 Posts
i really hope vsg gets his hands on this sometime soon so he can run it though the paces :)
I've been using Thermalright from their beginning, and while I haven't used any in last couple years (I quit doing cooler testing) I would be extremely surprised if this is not a very good cooler. I might just get in touch and see if they would like me to test one. I don't think it makes any difference which one of the 3 it is, I suspect all 3 perform the same.

We need it tested against others like NH-D15, Cryorig R1, PH-TC14PE, Silver Arrow IB-E, Le Grand Macho RT, TRUE Spirit 140 Power, etc to have proof how how good it is. I'm pretty sure it will perform as well as they do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i really hope vsg gets his hands on this sometime soon so he can run it though the paces /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
I've been using Thermalright from their beginning, and while I haven't used any in last couple years (I quit doing cooler testing) I would be extremely surprised if this is not a very good cooler. I might just get in touch and see if they would like me to test one. I don't think it makes any difference which one of the 3 it is, I suspect all 3 perform the same.

We need it tested against others like NH-D15, Cryorig R1, PH-TC14PE, Silver Arrow IB-E, Le Grand Macho RT, TRUE Spirit 140 Power, etc to have proof how how good it is. I'm pretty sure it will perform as well as they do.
Might just wait for results/testing on this. Haven't gotten the TS140P yet.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
The shop on Aliexpress has almost a double markup on the black one.

The price on Taobao is 259 yuan for the silver, 359 yuan for the black.
Yep, that's to be expected, unless you're in asia you have to buy trough and agent anyway, the agent fee's + shipping would almost cost as much as buying trough AE, and it'd be a whole lot more hassle and less reliable.

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,621 Posts
Can this Thermalright Frost Spirit cooler be placed VERTICALLY, inside a traditional PC design layout?

Just curious to know this, from actual owners whom have already installed their coolers.

Please let me know soon :thumb: .

·
Premium Member
27,285 Posts
Can this Thermalright Frost Spirit cooler be placed VERTICALLY, inside a traditional PC design layout?

Just curious to know this, from actual owners whom have already installed their coolers.

I assume you mean a tower case with cooler turned 90 degrees so fans move air up or down? That orientation is 2nd best to cooler being mounted on flat motherboard in desktop case.
Best orientation is cooler base at bottom, like in original desktop cases.
2nd best is what I assume you mean by vertically mounted.
3rd best is normal tower orientation with airflow front to back in a tower case. 'U' shaped heatpipes are most common with each side of 'U'being a condenser and bottom of 'U" being evaporator. Most heatpies now use sintered powder metal wick which move liquid from condensor section to evaporator section. Gravity has almost no negative effect on sintered powder metal wick .. unless 'U' is upside-down with ends 20cm or more from 'U' and evaporator on other side of 'U' like in some huge GPU coolers.​
Hope that all makes sense and explains what you wanted to know.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,350 Posts

Are you looking for info on mounting on AMD or Intel?

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,621 Posts
Are you looking for info on mounting on AMD or Intel?

At this point in time an AMD B550 setup.

If that fails to achieve my objective of having the cooler mounted vertically, then I'll get the latest Z490 series Intel motherboard.

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,621 Posts
I assume you mean a tower case with cooler turned 90 degrees so fans move air up or down? That orientation is 2nd best to cooler being mounted on flat motherboard in desktop case.

It shall be mounted vertically simply because I have no large desk space to mount the motherboard flat onto that surface.

Do want the fans to blow upwards towards the top of my PC Case, being a Fractal Design Define 7 Tempered Glass White.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It shall be mounted vertically simply because I have no large desk space to mount the motherboard flat onto that surface.

Do want the fans to blow upwards towards the top of my PC Case, being a Fractal Design Define 7 Tempered Glass White.
I don't think it can. According to the install directions at least.

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,621 Posts
I don't think it can. According to the install directions at least.
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Geez, have to choose another Heatsink that will go into that position. Now I know why, Noctua (hate to admit that) keeps beating Thermalright for greater market share these days.

Pity that Thermalright has yet again failed to meet my requirements. How they ONLY push a single way of attaching their air cooled devices, without any other option given.

Talk about abandoning free orientation installations into a variety of cases being produced these days and to the wishes of their customers/owners.

·
Registered
486 Posts

Geez, have to choose another Heatsink that will go into that position. Now I know why, Noctua (hate to admit that) keeps beating Thermalright for greater market share these days.

Pity that Thermalright has yet again failed to meet my requirements. How they ONLY push a single way of attaching their air cooled devices, without any other option given.

Talk about abandoning free orientation installations into a variety of cases being produced these days and to the wishes of their customers/owners.
I didnt bother actually looking at the FS I have in the box to see if it can be switched. I will confirm for you.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts

If they still use the same bracket, it is in fact 90-degree rotatable.

On my Macho Rev.B(Which has the AM4 compatible bracket), they use the same bracket for both Intel and AMD and it has mounting holes for both directions.

Edit: Welp, they changed the bracket, you'll have to wait for Thumper to double check...

·
Premium Member
27,285 Posts
I didnt bother actually looking at the FS I have in the box to see if it can be switched. I will confirm for you.
Interested in seeing what mount can actually do, but won't be surprised if it cannot be mounted with airflow bottom to top.

Not many users mount coolers flowing air up in towers. I can't remember the last time I saw a post about mounting cooler for vertical airflow in a tower, so not surprised many mounts don't have this feature. That said, I had PH-TC14PE mounted in this orientation in old Define R2 build for awhile. Ended up turning it 90 and got lower temps with front to back airflow. I believe it is result of air in front flowing straight on through case has less turbulence/heated air mixing into airflow than with cooler orientation flowing air up out top of case.

Looking at normal Thermalright mounts for AM4 it looks like there are 2 types; one has square frame with crossbar threaded holes with same spacing and other is rectangular with crossbar threaded hole spacing different one way than other. But It looks like rectangle frame that mounts to AM4 backplate with spacer studs has threaded holes for bottom to top flow. If this is true and you have mount with different spacing, a longer crossbar to mate with top/bottom holes could be fabricated and used (see images below).

·
Premium Member
27,285 Posts
I agree, can't do it with mounting bracket components shown in installation guide.

·
Premium Member
27,285 Posts
You can see how difference side bar and crossbar work in the 2 Phanteks AM4 brackets in image below.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,350 Posts
You can see how difference side bar and crossbar work in the 2 Phanteks AM4 brackets in image below.
Noctua and Phanteks mounting kits have a lot of interchangeable parts. You have me wondering if some parts from a Phanteks AM4 kit might make this possible.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Are we ever going to see one in a build here !? As much as I want one, I dont need one. Ugh, but I want it ! ;p

201 - 220 of 306 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.