Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
221 - 240 of 306 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,141 Posts
Looks nice!
Look forward to hearing how it performs. Should be as good as silver, but we will see. Maybe one base will mate better with IHS than other and thus give lower temps.

·
Registered
472 Posts
IMG_20200923_111648.jpg

Quick 3 run back to back test with CB20 - 3800x. Mugen 5 vs FS140. FS140 was 3c cooler. Not a big deal really, but I like the way this looks in my case. We will have to wait for another review, which might be soon. I may send my other one to a review website for a comprehensive test.

·
Premium Member
27,141 Posts
Assuming your results are as accurate as I believe, 3c cooler is quite significant! Mugen 5 is only 1-2c warmer than D-15 which is within 1c of coolest / best cooling air coolers on the market.

Frost Spirit 140 is very similar in design to original Silver Arrow (same 4x 8mm heatpipes). Considering Silver Arrow was same / slightly better and D14, and D14 with same fans as D15 cools as well or just slightly better than D15 makes Frost Spirit 140 at least one of the best if not the very best. We really need to have some results at same noise levels to be positive this is true.

·
Registered
52 Posts

It finally arrived! Directly from China bought in tmall via superbuy.
It came with a tl-c12 (1500rpm) and a tl-d14 (1500rpm too).
Still waiting for the New psu.... When it arrives, i'll install the cooler and post some quick results.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Awesome! I've been using mine. Its great, but looks huge in this case. And probably totally overkill for my 3800x. HAHA

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,585 Posts
Awesome! I've been using mine. Its great, but looks huge in this case. And probably totally overkill for my 3800x. HAHA
This Air Cooler will also work well with the forthcoming 5800X and 5900X series AMD cpus :love: .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Everyone, I'm so glad I found this thread when I was hunting for a decent air cooler for my upcoming new build. Since I like it black, I almost got a DRP 4, but I held off the decision as I didn't quite like the looks of the top cover on that one. It took some time to find a seller who would get the FP for me from China, even though I live in the Philippines, but then I came across it hidden in an awkwardly titled listing in the local version of alibaba. All in all I paid 78 USD including shipping so it was still cheaper than the DRP 4. I really like the design of this one and it fits perfectly in the Meshify C. The quality is top notch, I put it on a perfectly flat glass surface and observed no wobbling at all, the paint job is really well done, too. I'm going to pair it with a 5800x when it's released, so I can't comment on the performance yet; I sold my 7700k a week ago. I will definitely report back when I put the rig together, I think it will be interesting to observe how it delivers in a tropical setting where the average room temperature is 30 C degrees. If anybody from a Southeast Asian country wants to buy this, let me know and I will give you the contact info.

·
LTSC for life crew
3,261 Posts
Seems Thermalright is going back in time with this one.

They used 4x 8mm heatpipes in one of the first if not first twin tower CPU coolers way back in 2007, the IFX-14 (L146.2xW124xH161mm/790g with IFX-10 backside heatsink).

Then released Cogage Arrow (L147xW123xH163mm/825g)) (slightly modified IFX-14) in 2009.

Then original Silver Arrow (L127.8xW147xH163mm)(slightly modified Cogage Arrow) in 2010 (L147xW123xH163mm/825g) in 2010.

Cogage Arrow and Silver Arrow cooled a couple degrees better than NH-D14. I never tested IFX-14 against them, but suspect similar temps, maybe a little better because of IFX-10 backside cooler.

A few reviewers have tested NH-D14 against NH-D15 and found with same fans NH-D14 is a little better than D15.

I see no reason to think Frost Spirit performance will different from Thermalright's other 4x 8mm heatpipe cooleers .. meaning Frost Spirit performance will be one of the best air coolers on the market.
How do these coolers you mention compare to the True Spirit 140 Power? I have mine with just the stock fan but I have a second identical Thermalright 140mm fan I was thinking of adding. The second fan is just sitting on the shelf doing nothing otherwise.

·
Premium Member
27,141 Posts
How do these coolers you mention compare to the True Spirit 140 Power? I have mine with just the stock fan but I have a second identical Thermalright 140mm fan I was thinking of adding. The second fan is just sitting on the shelf doing nothing otherwise.
Educated guess is a little better.
I say this based on original Silver Arrow vs NH-D14 testing showed Silver Arrow being same to slightly better than D14,
D14 with same fans as D15 performs same to slightly better than D15
TS140P performs a couple 3-4c better than D14 with same TY-143 fans.
Keep in mind above data was based delta temps of actual air temp entering cooler to CPU temp. Temps can easily vary 2-3c system to system, even with same components.
Results vary for many reasons; CPUs don't all put out same heat, even same model CPU smf differences in CPU IHS to cooler base not being the same are most common. ;)
See graphs below

• Rep+
Reactions: speed_demon

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
View attachment 2459803

Quick 3 run back to back test with CB20 - 3800x. Mugen 5 vs FS140. FS140 was 3c cooler. Not a big deal really, but I like the way this looks in my case. We will have to wait for another review, which might be soon. I may send my other one to a review website for a comprehensive test.
is the Mugen 5 using 1 fan? if so then the 3c isnt impressive... unless this was on stock and no OC at all

·
Premium Member
27,141 Posts
True, not a huge difference, possibly none. But Mugen 5 is one of top coolers too, typically cooling about a degree warmer (within margin of error) than D15, Le Grand Macho RT, TRUE Spirit 140 Power, etc.

Basically it's looking like Frost Spirit 140 is another one of the best coolers on the market.

• Rep+
Reactions: PontiacGTX

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
True, not a huge difference, possibly none. But Mugen 5 is one of top coolers too, typically cooling about a degree warmer (within margin of error) than D15, Le Grand Macho RT, TRUE Spirit 140 Power, etc.

Basically it's looking like Frost Spirit 140 is another one of the best coolers on the market.
I originally thought it was a $40-50 CPU cooler but the price of $66 doesnt make it much more different than other CPU Cooler yeah in terms of performance, but in terms of ram clearance should be the best choice....i wonder how it would compare to the Fuma 2 using the same fans

·
Premium Member
27,141 Posts
I'm trying to get both to run some tests. So far no success. :(

·
Premium Member
27,141 Posts
Noise-temperature ratio is relative. The more heat CPU makes the higher the noise will be.

All kidding aside, I'm sure it's safe to say it cools as quietly as the best coolers on the market.

Frost Spirit 140 is basically same cooler as original Silver Arrow was with offset finpacks having straight edges on fins instead of flame shaped edges of Silver Arrow. Silver Arrow cools slightly better than NH-D14 .. which cools as a little better than NH-D15 with same fans. So far testing has shown it to cool very well very quietly.

Frost Spirit 140 fans are:
TL-D14 140mm 77.8cfm 2.09mmH2O 25.6dB(A) 1500rpm is a grey version of​
TY-149A 87.97cfm 2.08mmH2O 23dB(A), the evolution of TY-140 to TY-147 to TY-147A .. (also same design as NF-A14 & NF-A15)​
TY-140 that came out long, long ago (about 2010). Known to be some of the nicest sounding best perfroming cooler & case fans on the market.​
TL-C12L 120mm fan is rated 25.6dB(A) 66.17cfm 1.53mmH2O 1500rpm similar to​
1450rpm Nidec-Servo D1225C12B4AZ-00 (Gentle Typhoon) rated 19dB 46cfm 1.295mmH2O 1450rpm, a fan known as one of the best of the best for many years as well.​

·
Registered
179 Posts
Where can it be bought? In EU or somewhere else?
Please, provide some links :) tnx

·
Premium Member
27,141 Posts
Where can it be bought? In EU or somewhere else?
Please, provide some links :) tnx
[/QUOTE
2 months ago Bismal posted:
The shop on Aliexpress has almost a double markup on the black one.
The price on Taobao is 259 yuan for the silver, 359 yuan for the black.

If you look through thread you will find posts about where to order from.

221 - 240 of 306 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.