Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
261 - 280 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good quality PSU will help secure your PC hardware, forever more.

That's Thermalright's way of designing a perfect attachment system in which you turn the screw until it stops. It has finished fastening the cooler onto your IHS quite effectively.
Yeah, that what i tought, and the phanteks was USD10 cheaper than the seasonic GX-750 and they are both the same.
Thanks!, i did not know if it was well attached, and the instructions didn't say anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Finally assembled everything i have.
The cooler is used on new Ryzen 5800x
The good thing - everything seems to be working.
The bad thing - the cooler is basically useless for this CPU, since it easily hits 88 in cinebench r23 which everyone tell me is absolutely normal for this CPU. The heatsink is barely warm during the test.
I've tried to check the TIM application (NT-H2), first time was fine with nice and even spread, second time i pulled CPU out of socket with the cooler - i didnt break anything for some reason. Never touching that thing again.
All i want to know is how to stop this CPU getting briefly to 70C when i open web browser.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,140 Posts
The bad thing - the cooler is basically useless for this CPU, since it easily hits 88 in cinebench r23 which everyone tell me is absolutely normal for this CPU. The heatsink is barely warm during the test.
I've tried to check the TIM application (NT-H2), first time was fine with nice and even spread, second time i pulled CPU out of socket with the cooler - i didnt break anything for some reason. Never touching that thing again.
All i want to know is how to stop this CPU getting briefly to 70C when i open web browser.
Ryzen do run hot, but your seems to be hotter than it should be. Don't know why, but I don't think cooler is the problem. TechPowerUp teting of 5800x onder U14S cooling at 75-78c, and FS140 cools about the same if not a little better.

Kitguru testing show 5800x drawing 85-103w at wall idle and 219-231w at wall load.
Measuring power at wall is total power consumption of system not just CPU load. I'm guessing system is using 40-70w of that 219-231w meaning CPU is using 149-191w at full load.

Pulling CPU from socket is probably because you were pulling straight up and not gently turning CPU a little each way while gently pulling to break the suction grip of TIM between cooler and IHS.

What is your idle temp?
We need to know what our system is before we can give useful advice.
What is case and case airflow setup?
What is air temp entering cooler?

·
Linux Lobbyist
326 Posts
Technically it's absolutely normal for the CPU, you might have just gotten worse than average silicon, AMD representative explained that the new ZEN 3 operates at even high temperatures than ZEN 2, and that the previous <70C which helps PBO is Irrelevant now, and that the new recommended temp is <90C which is the max temperature as well.

You need to go about this the other way around, set up the fan profiles/curves so that they don't ramp up as fast and cause unnecessary noise.

Double-check what @doyll mentioned to rule out a case airflow problem, however, your temperatures are a bit extreme, so there might be an issue with cooler, or if you just live in a hot climate and your ambient temperature is high (if your room temperatures are 30 degrees celsius or higher that that's the explanation.

As for removing the CPU from the socket, you need to heat up the cpu/bottom of the cooler, and take twist to one side while taking it off, so it doesn't come out of the socket.

·
Fix it till its broke
764 Posts
I was all set to buy a Ryzen, I have a thread open at another forum. Until you said you pulled the cpu out of the socket. Really? They still do that? Gonna stick with Intel.

·
Premium Member
27,140 Posts
I was all set to buy a Ryzen, I have a thread open at another forum. Until you said you pulled the cpu out of the socket. Really? They still do that? Gonna stick with Intel.
Not saying one mount is better than other, but pulling CPU out of socket is not at all common with AMD or Intel. I moved from AMD to Intel many years ago, and am now using both. I've changed cooler 5 times on on my AMD with no problems. I think it's lack of knowledge / experience of how to remove coolers from CPUs rather than a mount problem.

·
Fix it till its broke
764 Posts
Not saying one mount is better than other, but pulling CPU out of socket is not at all common with AMD or Intel. I moved from AMD to Intel many years ago, and am now using both. I've changed cooler 5 times on on my AMD with no problems. I think it's lack of knowledge / experience of how to remove coolers from CPUs rather than a mount problem.
Maybe.. the last time it happened to me was on a Brisbane that I warmed up with prime 95. It also happened on an old Toledo. It shouldn't happen with Intel since they latch differently. I'm so on the fence right now. I was about to pull the trigger on a 3600XT as the newest ones are out of stock, and that was in my price range. I still might do it. If not I'm on the fence between 10600K and 9700K because they are the same price.

Ill probably still try out an AMD, I don't pull stuff apart all the time like I used to.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Maybe.. the last time it happened to me was on a Brisbane that I warmed up with prime 95. It also happened on an old Toledo. It shouldn't happen with Intel since they latch differently. I'm so on the fence right now. I was about to pull the trigger on a 3600XT as the newest ones are out of stock, and that was in my price range. I still might do it. If not I'm on the fence between 10600K and 9700K because they are the same price.

Ill probably still try out an AMD, I don't pull stuff apart all the time like I used to.
all you have to do is if you think its going to pull out is just twist the heatsink a little back and forth. as doyll did say. its not that big of a deal

·
Fix it till its broke
764 Posts
Yeah I don't know what my problem was. I ran 939 for years and it happened once or twice, first time was cold second was warm. I guess I am awesome at cooler mounts, dismounts could use some work lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks like my motherboard is definitely overvolting for no reason.
I decided to run a fixed all core boost for a while till i figure out how to configure PBO properly.. The temperatures have improved. I am not hitting 90C anymore.
As you can see on the pic a have a Pure Base 500DX, with 2 front intake 140mm kaze flex fans and 2 140 for exhaust. The top exhaust is mostly for the looks, i confess.

·
Linux Lobbyist
326 Posts
@Stoltzman1972 good to know

@Owterspace Happens to me all the time xD a few months ago was pulling out and putting in a ryzen 1600 at a friend's house, it came clean off the motherboard glued to the heatsink 2 times in a row. Once yanked out the first time I barely managed to separate it from the heatsink by hand, and the second time I used a screwdriver to pry it off and it went flying halfway across the room even though I was aiming at the bed :), ...

Thankfully it landed nicely anyway, no pins bent (That's what happens with cheap paste and not wanting to warm it up, no amount of twisting helped).
Happened twice with my PC as well before that.

At this point I've gotten quite proficient at it, and am confident I can yank it out of the socket 99/100 with no bent pins, or if it's halfway there, just twist it off properly (though once it almost kind of slid out, so honestly, I'm more confident i won't damage it by just yanking like a madman).

·
Registered
15 Posts
But just out of curiosity i am willing to try Liquid Freezer II 280
If supposedly the best 280 AIO doesnt make the situation better.. Well i can sell one or the other.

·
Fix it till its broke
764 Posts
Yeah that happened to me too! Those pins can only be moved back so many times. In the end I decided to pass on AMD until they move to a BGA setup. So now I have a 10600K in my cart, wondering if I should get the 10700K instead.. we’ll see.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,213 Posts

I found that CM heat pipe direct coolers had an affect similar to industrial epoxy on my Phenoms and Bulldozers. Whenever I had to review one, I knew going in that I would wind up pulling the CPU out of the socket when I removed it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
5800x is a single CCD chip and I think the power limit for the 5800x is close to the 5900x, except on the 5800x all that power is coming from a single ccd(-20w or so for the SOC). I think those temps are normal. A manual OC would fix the temp spikes during during small cpu load spikes, but you might lose 100mhz or so of max single thread performance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
5800x is a single CCD chip and I think the power limit for the 5800x is close to the 5900x, except on the 5800x all that power is coming from a single ccd(-20w or so for the SOC). I think those temps are normal. A manual OC would fix the temp spikes during during small cpu load spikes, but you might lose 100mhz or so of max single thread performance.
Yes, i found that i can run 4650 all core and in games voltage is no higher than 1.288. That is manual OC.
While in stock voltage can go as high as 1.4 and maybe highest boost i saw is couple of cores briefly hitting 4850, mostly it is still around 4650-4700. I really hope they will tinker for future bios version, because 5800x are being fed more voltage than they really need.

·
Fix it till its broke
764 Posts
I found that CM heat pipe direct coolers had an affect similar to industrial epoxy on my Phenoms and Bulldozers. Whenever I had to review one, I knew going in that I would wind up pulling the CPU out of the socket when I removed it.
Yup. I was all set to roll with AMD again until I found that out. I’m glad they are doing great again but until they change those pins for pads I won’t be a customer.

·
Linux Lobbyist
326 Posts
@Owterspace

Why not get a decent/above average Z490 and just a 10600k, or even a cheap 10400/F and swap the cpu as soon as the next Intel hits early next year ?

You could just sell the current cpu then and pop a first new backported architecture since Sucklake xD

·
Fix it till its broke
764 Posts
I think that’s the plan man. I was going to try and cheap out a little bit but it doesn’t seem like it will be worth it. I’m still looking at boards but I think I have a good idea of what I will go with. I still might bump it up to a 10700K, we’ll see.. it’s just a little more than I wanted to spend but I might as well be happy with it as I’ll most likely run it for a few years. Either way both of those CPU’s will handily destroy my 3770K so I’m looking forward to it :)

261 - 280 of 306 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.