Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
301 - 306 of 306 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,302 Posts
My argument is valid in context, and was pointed directly at the case of the Mugen 5 (and applies to most sub $50 coolers) that was a cooler specifically in question. Bringing more $75+ coolers into the mix wasn't a part of the equation of the question or answer, and actually further validates the point I was making. You are now listing $75 coolers that will cool as well as an $89 Mugen 5 with a fan change, and do so at a much lower noise level.

I also said my example was specific to the US. The only cooler you listed that costs less than a D15 in the US is the Fuma 2. The others are comparably priced here.

And I didn't even mention how much quicker the Mugen 5 gets heat soaked than a D15 in extreme usage, which would also likely be the case with the Fuma 2. I said likely as I haven't seen that tested.
I didn't say all of those coolers were much cheaper than D15, but most are, and some are priced at almost half as much. I use USA Amazon.com for cooler pricing below showing Mugen 5 Rev B

What I was pointing out is that Mugen 5 Rev. B does not need fans changed to perform about the same as D15, meaning there is no reason to be spending more money on different fans.

Mugen 5 Rev. B on Amazon.com (USA) right now for $46.59, NH-D15 is $89.99 on Amazon.com (USA). Mugen 5 cools within 2c and 1dB of D15 and costs $43.40 less on Amazon.com (USA).

Tweaktown review shows Mugen 5 Rev. B 56c @ 25dB to D15 55c @ 24dB on stock CPU 70.25c @ 28dB and D15 68.5c @ 27dB on overclocked CPU .. temp and noise levels are close enough to say they are pretty much same temp and noise level with stock fans. Therefore I say there is no need to change stock fans to something else.
Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B CPU Cooler Review

Fuma 2 on |Amazon.com (USA) right now is $59.99 NH-D15 is $89.99,

Techpowerup review shows Fuma 2 77c and D15 75c. At full speed Fuma 2 is 40dB adn D15 is 42dB. Basically same temp and noise level out of box costing $30 less USD.

·
Premium Member
27,302 Posts
I'm thinking because my government arrested the daughter of the guy who started Huawei that they might be mad at Canada.

I didn't do it, she shouldn't have been so shady, don't be mad at us be mad at yourselves lol.

I will be pissed if I have to buy a Noctua lol.
Thermalright founder sold company several years ago. Western market was having problems even before the sale, but seems to have gotten much worse. Sad, even after changing ownership they are still very good coolers and sell well in Asia.

·
Linux Lobbyist
360 Posts
@Owterspace

I know the feeling, heh, both for Huawei and Noctua. It's the same around the world as well, we are so close to getting an alibaba/aliexpress distribution center, and Huawei sponsored and paid for all the Optic internet equipment for our state-run Telecom, as well as 5G, and muscled out Samsung/Sony/Xiaomi/Motorola/Apple as no.1 smartphone seller. (Tehnically I'm not complaining, this and global Huawei sanctions catapulted Xiaomi back into first place around the world :p, and I got a soft spot for non-phone Xiaomi products like umbrellas, suitcases, monitors, tvs, digital scales, routers, their stuff is insanely high quality, reminiscent of Germany/Japan style of pre 1990s (and well old-school Nuclear family era US stuff as well), and they have fixed <5% markup policy on all products) To be fair Huawei also has similar stuff and similar quality but something just makes Xiaomi more likable and pop up more, for me at least.

but then Trump sprung a mini-Schengen "economic normalization" deal on us with gorgeous sentences like:

"Diversification of energy supplies"

"Prohibition of use of 5G equipment by 'Untrusted vendors' and removal of such equipment or bribing (I mean mediation) where applicable"

"Opening of development fund offices, etc"

"Active push for homosexuality decriminalization and joining the worldwide democratic fight against those opposed"

On the other hand, we just finished connecting the Russian Turkstream gas flow on the Bulgarian border (with Hungary getting it as well soon) so I'm pretty sure everyone everywhere just does whatever they want and can get away with :)

As for Noctua, you're safe for a while still, got Phanteks and Reeven going strong in the US still, and there's always Be Quiet!

·
Registered
639 Posts
My argument is valid in context, and was pointed directly at the case of the Mugen 5 (and applies to most sub $50 coolers) that was a cooler specifically in question. Bringing more $75+ coolers into the mix wasn't a part of the equation of the question or answer, and actually further validates the point I was making. You are now listing $75 coolers that will cool as well as an $89 Mugen 5 with a fan change, and do so at a much lower noise level.

I also said my example was specific to the US. The only cooler you listed that costs less than a D15 in the US is the Fuma 2. The others are comparably priced here.

And I didn't even mention how much quicker the Mugen 5 gets heat soaked than a D15 in extreme usage, which would also likely be the case with the Fuma 2. I said likely as I haven't seen that tested.
You can't make up for 10°C just because you're changing the fan, unless you blast the RPM and noise. It won't make up for the lack of size.

Yes kaze flex sucks as radiator fans.... they're also doing very good on schyte coolers somehow. There's some that have tried changing them with little to no improvement.
The trend of changing fans for considerable improvements it's long past.

Same it's aplicable to fuma 2.... to a lesser extent ofc.

Once you're past the 150w mark, they start to fall back compared to the big boys, by more than a few degrees or margin of error.

Doesn't make them less recomendable, or less recomendable than a d15, but to each its own.

I'm still skeptical about the frost spirit. I haven't seen any half decent review about it or from ppl comparing it directly on the same platform with everything fixed, and as usual this forum it's usually giving almost every thermalright product an easy past, just because of other products or nostalgia.

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Fix it till its broke
834 Posts
The on
You can be as sarcastic as you want. He is not wrong.

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk
Sorry, I don't follow. I am pissed at Thermalright for not getting back to me in a timely fashion. Luckily I think I found AM4 hardware but I'm not sure if it was for TS140P or LGMRT. It doesn't matter really as they are interchangeable. As for nostalgia, it is well deserved. They didn't really have any competition except for Scythe until Noctua came around. The first time I saw one I though their manufacturing techniques were rather similar to Thermalright. But everyone copies each other anyway these days so it doesn't matter.

301 - 306 of 306 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.