Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can this little thing cool down the 10900k beast even if i oc? the case would be the crystal 280x

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,074 Posts
can this little thing cool down the 10900k beast even if i oc? the case would be the crystal 280x
You need to start with a case that actually has airflow rather than a glass hotbox.

·
Premium Member
26,934 Posts
Silver Arrow ITX-R is probably okay, but I'm curious as to why you picked it over other Silver Arrow coolers?

Crystal 280 only has 150mm CPU clearance .. Silver Arrow ITX-R is 153mm tall, so it probably won't fit.

With glass front panel Crystal 280 has very limited airflow. To have decent airflow front needs to be vented, not glass paneled. If it was me I would look for a case with better airflow designed into it. Maybe a Phanteks Eclipse series, or XL, Pro or Mini XL. Phanteks makes good cases and they come with good fans too so don't need to spend as much setting up case airflow. Fractal Design make good cases too, but their included fans are junk so need replacking.

Anyways, assumng you change plans for a better case, we need to also know what motherboard, and RAM you plan to use to be sure coolers we suggest will fit.

·
Premium Member
26,934 Posts
Silver arrow ITX-R Rev.A is <150mm tall.
I'll blame it on my eyes. :eek:

Indeed, it's 147.2mm tall.

Also noticed Silver Arrow ITX-R Rev.A uses TY-129 fan rated 84.97cfm. Normal 140mm fan in other Silver Arrows is TY-14x 1300, 1800, 2500rpm with higher airflow ratings and bigger airflow pattern. I think if I was building and wanted Silver Arrow cooler I would use Silver Arrow 130, not ITX-R Rev.A

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Silver Arrow ITX-R is probably okay, but I'm curious as to why you picked it over other Silver Arrow coolers?

Crystal 280 only has 150mm CPU clearance .. Silver Arrow ITX-R is 153mm tall, so it probably won't fit.

With glass front panel Crystal 280 has very limited airflow. To have decent airflow front needs to be vented, not glass paneled. If it was me I would look for a case with better airflow designed into it. Maybe a Phanteks Eclipse series, or XL, Pro or Mini XL. Phanteks makes good cases and they come with good fans too so don't need to spend as much setting up case airflow. Fractal Design make good cases too, but their included fans are junk so need replacking.

Anyways, assumng you change plans for a better case, we need to also know what motherboard, and RAM you plan to use to be sure coolers we suggest will fit.
the only one that fit is the itx-r silver arrow, if you know any other based the low profile that do not work good here please tell me...

i want to build a micro itx desktop, and the 280x should be a good case for this, i don't want a full tower

also the motherboard they suggested me the msi z490m but other suggested me the rog strix, so i don't know which one is the best

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,074 Posts
i want to build a micro itx desktop, and the 280x should be a good case for this, i don't want a full tower
It's a good case for fitting an ITX board.....but that's about it. It's a hotbox. As @doyll pointed out, there is no shortage of well designed mITX cases out there that can actually provide airflow. The 10900K runs hot, really hot, and is hard enough to cool. Putting it in a case that doesn't have decent airflow is just asking for problems no matter what cooler you put on it. Even the best of coolers can't cool without airflow.

·
Premium Member
26,934 Posts
the only one that fit is the itx-r silver arrow, if you know any other based the low profile that do not work good here please tell me...

also the motherboard they suggested me the msi z490m but other suggested me the rog strix, so i don't know which one is the best
Yeah, I was thinking Silver Arrow ITX R was taller. Can't think of any others as short with as good cooling, but keep in mind Crystal 280X is severely limiting cooling performance of all air cooled components because it doesn't have good airflow.

Crystal 280X = 398mm x 276mm x 351mm (50mm wider / bigger footprint)
Meshify C Mini = 395 x 212 x 399 mm (LxWxH)
Meshify C Midi = 395 x 212 x 440 mmand comes in white.
Evolv mATX = 230 x 400 x 453 mm x 400 mm (DxWxH) is silver & smoked glass
I'm using an Evolv mATx myself with 2x included 140mm fans as front intakes, all openings in fan mounting panel blocked so air they push in has to flow through case, not leak around fans going in circles, and removed all unused PCIe slot covers for more rear venting around GPU so better front to back airflow, cooler air into cooler, so lowr fan speeds and less noise.

I know they are mATX, not ITX, but still smaller than Crystal 280X .. which is also mATX. It's only a few examples of other cases. There are many more. Some ITX cases are much smaller

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i''m forced to buy a full tower if i want to cool down the 10900k? or i'm forced to avoid air cooling and pointing out at the aio right? well that's pity...

i thought that the two fan inside the 280x crystal would be enough to have some decent airflow, i can change them if there are better one

·
Fix it till its broke
700 Posts
so i''m forced to buy a full tower if i want to cool down the 10900k? or i'm forced to avoid air cooling and pointing out at the aio right? well that's pity...

i thought that the two fan inside the 280x crystal would be enough to have some decent airflow, i can change them if there are better one
There are airflow orientated matx cases, you aren’t limited to just one. With all limits off that’s a 300w cpu is it not? What a beast.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,074 Posts

I'm kind of baffled how you are coming to that as a conclusion based on what is quoted below. People literally said to you "here are cases with better airflow that will work for what you want to do in similar sizes" and you replied "so I'm forced to buy a full tower case". You don't need to buy a full tower case. You just need to buy a case in a size similar to the 280X that doesn't have every opening blocked by glass panels so it can get airflow.

And the issue with the 280X isn't the fans. The fans aren't great, but they aren't the cause of the issue. The issue is that it is a poorly designed case with glass panels blocking all of the openings needed for proper airflow. It's simply a bad design.

I'll throw another case in the mix, the Silverstone LD03-AF - https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=910&area=en
You would need to go with an SFX-L PSU, but it's tiny, can take CPU coolers up to 190mm tall, actually flows air, and has a really unique configuration for the GPU cooling.

It's a good case for fitting an ITX board.....but that's about it. It's a hotbox. As @doyll pointed out, there is no shortage of well designed mITX cases out there that can actually provide airflow. The 10900K runs hot, really hot, and is hard enough to cool. Putting it in a case that doesn't have decent airflow is just asking for problems no matter what cooler you put on it. Even the best of coolers can't cool without airflow.
Yeah, I was thinking Silver Arrow ITX R was taller. Can't think of any others as short with as good cooling, but keep in mind Crystal 280X is severely limiting cooling performance of all air cooled components because it doesn't have good airflow.

Crystal 280X = 398mm x 276mm x 351mm (50mm wider / bigger footprint)
Meshify C Mini = 395 x 212 x 399 mm (LxWxH)
Meshify C Midi = 395 x 212 x 440 mmand comes in white.
Evolv mATX = 230 x 400 x 453 mm x 400 mm (DxWxH) is silver & smoked glass
I'm using an Evolv mATx myself with 2x included 140mm fans as front intakes, all openings in fan mounting panel blocked so air they push in has to flow through case, not leak around fans going in circles, and removed all unused PCIe slot covers for more rear venting around GPU so better front to back airflow, cooler air into cooler, so lowr fan speeds and less noise.

I know they are mATX, not ITX, but still smaller than Crystal 280X .. which is also mATX. It's only a few examples of other cases. There are many more. Some ITX cases are much smaller

·
Premium Member
26,934 Posts

No, you are not forced to buy a full tower. Neither of the cases I suggested are even close to as big as full tower cases.

Two fans in the case don't mean case has good airflow. For a case to have good airflow it needs venting that allows 2x fans to move air into case as well as having at least as much exhaust vent area as intake vent so the air fans are trying to move into case can leave case. For a case to flow air in it has to be flowing the same amount of air flowing out. We cannot put air into a case without same amount of air coming out of case.

The link below is a basic guide to how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow. Hopefully it will help you gain a basic understanding of what airflow is and how it works for us.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22319249-post5.html

Problem is not just the fans, but that Crystal 280X simply does not have good airflow. It was designed to draw in buyers who like how it looks and don't know about case airflow. So they buy it, then try all kinds of things attempting to get lower temps only to find out it don't work.

Like Owterspace said, you are also trying to keep one of the most power hungry high-powered CPU know to man cool, and assuming you plan to use all that power you need a case with very good airflow or it will overheat.

You have several users here trying to help you with your build. Take advantage of their knowledge.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
There are airflow orientated matx cases, you aren’t limited to just one. With all limits off that’s a 300w cpu is it not? What a beast.
i know but i want a box case not a full tower or tower case, i want something like the haf-xb but smaller

I'm kind of baffled how you are coming to that as a conclusion based on what is quoted below. People literally said to you "here are cases with better airflow that will work for what you want to do in similar sizes" and you replied "so I'm forced to buy a full tower case". You don't need to buy a full tower case. You just need to buy a case in a size similar to the 280X that doesn't have every opening blocked by glass panels so it can get airflow.

And the issue with the 280X isn't the fans. The fans aren't great, but they aren't the cause of the issue. The issue is that it is a poorly designed case with glass panels blocking all of the openings needed for proper airflow. It's simply a bad design.

I'll throw another case in the mix, the Silverstone LD03-AF - https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=910&area=en
You would need to go with an SFX-L PSU, but it's tiny, can take CPU coolers up to 190mm tall, actually flows air, and has a really unique configuration for the GPU cooling.
what i mean is that i want a horizontal case not a vertical one, that silverstone seems vertical or i'm wrong

corsair psu are not good with that case why? just asking

·
Premium Member
26,934 Posts
i know but i want a box case not a full tower or tower case, i want something like the haf-xb but smaller

what i mean is that i want a horizontal case not a vertical one, that silverstone seems vertical or i'm wrong

Crystal 280X = 27.6x39.8x35.1cm (Corsair doesn't say what each measurement is, but looks like 27.6cm wide, 39.8cm deep 36.1cm tall

Haf-XB = 44.2x42.3x33cm (WxDxH)

Below link is to SilverstoneTek desktop cases. They make good stuff.
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product_case.php?bno=28&tb=1&area=en

A few years back I tested original Silver Arrow ITX when it was released and it did not cool as well as other Silver Arrow coolers with 8x 6mm heatpipes, and it was same cooler with 6x 6mm heatpipes instead of 8x 6mm heatpipes. Thermalright Silver Arrow 130 has same 6x 6mm heatpipes and uses TY-127BP 600-1500rpm fan is also rated 240w TDP. All of this makes believeing Silver Arrow ITX R 320w rating is true .. so not sure it's up to the task of cooling your 10900K.

All other Thermalright coolers with 6x 6mm heatpipes are rated 240w (each 6mm heatpipe is about 40w of cooling).

Le Grand Macho RT and other Silver Arrow coolers with 8x 6mm heatpipe coolers are all rated 320w.

All other 6x 6mm heatpipe coolers are rated 240w TDP.. coolers' total TDP is number of 6mm heatpipes times number of heatpipes cooling 40w TDP each .. all but Silver Arrow ITX-R with 6x 6mm heatpipes claiming 320w TDP.

TRUE Spirit 140 Power is rated 360w, but has bigger 8mm heatpipes (6x 8mm heatpipes). SA ITX-R is also not using a 140mm fan, but a custom shrouded 120mm fan measuring 130x120x25mm versus others using 140mm fan measureing 152x140x26.5mm with some going up to 2500rpm instead of normal 1300rpm.

·
Linux Lobbyist
296 Posts
You can still get the case to work, but it will take a bit of effort, some Patio furniture plastic foot ends, some nylon/plastic/metal spacers and it should be fine, here's a guide some guy did on Corsair forums:

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=182282

Other than the above you can remove the front and top dust filters, that's gonna help, and experimenting with a negative pressure setup should produce a fan placement that helps after removing dust filters.

the Silverstone LD03-AF mentioned above is a very good as well but you need a new power supply that is smaller.

What he means is your current PSU won't fit, you need to buy a new one, like for instance Corsair SF600/SF600 Platinum.

·
Premium Member
26,934 Posts
You can still get the case to work, but it will take a bit of effort, some Patio furniture plastic foot ends, some nylon/plastic/metal spacers and it should be fine, here's a guide some guy did on Corsair forums:

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=182282

Other than the above you can remove the front and top dust filters, that's gonna help, and experimenting with a negative pressure setup should produce a fan placement that helps after removing dust filters.

the Silverstone LD03-AF mentioned above is a very good as well.
Extending feet and top spacers does improve bottom and top venting. But if this setup is used as bottom intake and top exhaust to have balanced airflow through case, the heated exhaust off of GPU will be pre-heating the air going to CPU cooler .. I don't like that.

Maybe use bottom intake just for GPU and use front and front half of top as intake to supply cool air to CPU cooler. Would probably need to block back half of top vent .. and would need to control bottom intake fans to supply only as much cool air as GPU fans are using to keep from moving GPU heated exhaust up and into CPU cooler intake. Maybe put a divider between back of GPU and CPU cooler so heated air out of GPU has to move back out out of case (out removed PCIe slots with covers removed) and can't move up into CPU area.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,074 Posts
Just MHO - if you need to put that much work into a case to even make it marginally unacceptable, move on. There are plenty of cases out there that work right out of the box.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Crystal 280X = 27.6x39.8x35.1cm (Corsair doesn't say what each measurement is, but looks like 27.6cm wide, 39.8cm deep 36.1cm tall

Haf-XB = 44.2x42.3x33cm (WxDxH)

Below link is to SilverstoneTek desktop cases. They make good stuff.
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product_case.php?bno=28&tb=1&area=en

A few years back I tested original Silver Arrow ITX when it was released and it did not cool as well as other Silver Arrow coolers with 8x 6mm heatpipes, and it was same cooler with 6x 6mm heatpipes instead of 8x 6mm heatpipes. Thermalright Silver Arrow 130 has same 6x 6mm heatpipes and uses TY-127BP 600-1500rpm fan is also rated 240w TDP. All of this makes believeing Silver Arrow ITX R 320w rating is true .. so not sure it's up to the task of cooling your 10900K.

All other Thermalright coolers with 6x 6mm heatpipes are rated 240w (each 6mm heatpipe is about 40w of cooling).

Le Grand Macho RT and other Silver Arrow coolers with 8x 6mm heatpipe coolers are all rated 320w.

All other 6x 6mm heatpipe coolers are rated 240w TDP.. coolers' total TDP is number of 6mm heatpipes times number of heatpipes cooling 40w TDP each .. all but Silver Arrow ITX-R with 6x 6mm heatpipes claiming 320w TDP.

TRUE Spirit 140 Power is rated 360w, but has bigger 8mm heatpipes (6x 8mm heatpipes). SA ITX-R is also not using a 140mm fan, but a custom shrouded 120mm fan measuring 130x120x25mm versus others using 140mm fan measureing 152x140x26.5mm with some going up to 2500rpm instead of normal 1300rpm.

good info didn't know about the 40w for each heatpipe, can i remove the custom 130mm and put a 140mm instead? should work if i change the two metallic stuff(forgot their name) that support the fan

Just MHO - if you need to put that much work into a case to even make it marginally unacceptable, move on. There are plenty of cases out there that work right out of the box.
the problem is that they are all tower of some kinda, if there is even a single one that is a lan box like the haf-x b but smaller and for matx i would buy that of course

·
Premium Member
26,934 Posts
I agree. Why mod an expensive case lowering it's re-sale value when there are cases with much better airflow out of the box costing less money.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thermaltake Level 20 VT? fractal design node 840? are they worse or better?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts