Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Administrator
64,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am looking at a decent backup air cooler for my Threadripper system (possibly going for 2nd gen). This cooler is designed with the 2nd gen Threadripper in mind as it has a TDP rating of 320Watt. With 2nd gen Threadripper being 250 Watt TDP, this should give me some breathing room and decent performance, at least on paper. I was looking to find some decent reviews but not coming up with much in all honesty, but it is no surprise as this cooler was only released recently.

http://thermalright.com/product/silver-arrow-tr4/

What do you guys think ? I may even replace the fan with one of my 140mm Nocua high performance fans.

As a side note, please do not recommend WC or AIO. Already have the Enermax Liqtech 360 which so far is working fine but for a backup/next cooler I would like to go back to air.

Thanks all,
E

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Hard to say without any reviews, but if their previous Silver Arrow coolers are anything to go by it should be excellent.

I don't think replacing the fan is going to be beneficial, the Noctua 140mm round frame fans are only 1500rpm and use a very similar blade design as the Thermalright, perform fairly similar too at the same RPM.

But the Thertmalright TY-143 can go up to 2500RPM, which might be necessary if you want to use some of the 2nd gen high core count processors to it's full extent.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,201 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have a TR system, so have not been able to test this cooler.

But, I have had pretty extensive experience with TY-143 and all variations of Noctua fans. I completely agree with @Gilles3000 about not changing to a Noctua. As a matter of fact, I would go a step further and say no way you change it to a Noctua. The TY-143 performs on par with an iPPC at like speeds, and has a significantly nicer sound profile across all speeds.

·
Administrator
64,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hard to say without any reviews, but if their previous Silver Arrow coolers are anything to go by it should be excellent.

I don't think replacing the fan is going to be beneficial, the Noctua 140mm round frame fans are only 1500rpm and use a very similar blade design as the Thermalright, perform fairly similar too at the same RPM.

But the Thertmalright TY-143 can go up to 2500RPM, which might be necessary if you want to use some of the 2nd gen high core count processors to it's full extent.
Thanks for thew suggestion. I will consider that fan, looks like a winner.

EDIT, Actually the Cooler comes with that fan as standard ! I might consider some of these for case fans.

Unfortunately, I don't have a TR system, so have not been able to test this cooler.

But, I have had pretty extensive experience with TY-143 and all variations of Noctua fans. I completely agree with @Gilles3000 about not changing to a Noctua. As a matter of fact, I would go a step further and say no way you change it to a Noctua. The TY-143 performs on par with an iPPC at like speeds, and has a significantly nicer sound profile across all speeds.
Advice noted for sure, I just took a further look at the Noctua and agree with you both it would be a step in the wrong direction.

·
Premium Member
27,120 Posts
Hey guys,

I am looking at a decent backup air cooler for my Threadripper system (possibly going for 2nd gen). This cooler is designed with the 2nd gen Threadripper in mind as it has a TDP rating of 320Watt. With 2nd gen Threadripper being 250 Watt TDP, this should give me some breathing room and decent performance, at least on paper. I was looking to find some decent reviews but not coming up with much in all honesty, but it is no surprise as this cooler was only released recently.

http://thermalright.com/product/silver-arrow-tr4/

What do you guys think ? I may even replace the fan with one of my 140mm Nocua high performance fans.

As a side note, please do not recommend WC or AIO. Already have the Enermax Liqtech 360 which so far is working fine but for a backup/next cooler I would like to go back to air.

Thanks all,
E
Silver Arrow TR4 is same basic cooler as Silver Arrow IB-E with larger base with AM4 crossbar built in; original base is 53x40mm, TR4 base is 68x53.

You have PM

·
Premium Member
27,120 Posts
Thanks bud, Hopefully some people have some hands on experience with this cooler. I have a feeling it may rival my AIO cooler which apparently is rated up to 500Watt TDP.
Which AIO do you have?

I know Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme (2x TY-143 fans) was 6-8c cooler at simialr noise levels (fans at full speed) as H100 was .. 1x vs 2x fans is maybe 3c differnce. I'm sure newer 240mm, even 280mm CLCs are not 7-8c better than H100 was.:p

·
Administrator
64,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which AIO do you have?

I know Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme (2x TY-143 fans) was 6-8c cooler at simialr noise levels (fans at full speed) as H100 was .. 1x vs 2x fans is maybe 3c differnce. I'm sure newer 240mm, even 280mm CLCs are not 7-8c better than H100 was.:p
I have the Enermax Liqtech 360 TR. Yeah I have found that a good premium air cooler is just as good as some of the AIO.

·
Premium Member
27,120 Posts
I have the Enermax Liqtech 360 TR. Yeah I have found that a good premium air cooler is just as good as some of the AIO.
Eneermax Liqtech 360 TR pump is rated 450L/h .. up to 10 time what many can flow .. assuming that spec is accurate. In theory that should give it significant lower temps than top tier air .. but top tier air with hi-performance fans should narrow that gap to only a few degrees. Easy way to verify is use SA TR4 and 2x TY-143. Only cost would be posting it. ;)

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,201 Posts
Just as good, but with less noise. Not sure why you ever doubted it. ;)

·
Iconoclast
30,428 Posts
As mentioned the TY-143 fans are excellent. I bought a half-dozen more after experiencing the ones on my Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme.

One issue I do have with Thermalright is their base flatness. Apparently they are convinced every IHS is horribly concave in one axis so they make stupidly convex heatsink bases. I had to spend three hours lapping my SAIB-E before it was actually flat...improved temps on my 6800K by 20C and by 10-15C on my Vishera.

·
Administrator
64,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks chaps, I will take another look at the Enermax tonight to make sure it is still performing as expected. I think I may very well get the TY-143 Fans for my case and possibly replace my Noctua ones and sell them as they are like a good double the price. I will just have to expect possible problems as the TY-143 Fans pull more wattage than normal for obvious reasons, should be ok though. My ROG Zenith Mobo has been good thus far.

Edit*

Actually my current Noctua 140mm Fans are the Industrial variant and are rated at 3000RPM and 158CFM. Not sure why I thought these were the lower variant. These are my case fans, I have 8 of these.

·
Premium Member
27,120 Posts
Thanks chaps, I will take another look at the Enermax tonight to make sure it is still performing as expected. I think I may very well get the TY-143 Fans for my case and possibly replace my Noctua ones and sell them as they are like a good double the price. I will just have to expect possible problems as the TY-143 Fans pull more wattage than normal for obvious reasons, should be ok though. My ROG Zenith Mobo has been good thus far.
TY-143 are rated 0.6A at full load, obviously that is only at startup. They idle down to 550-600rpm so no noise issues at low speeds, but do become audible about same as others around 900-1000rpm and get progessively louder all the way up to 2500rpm. When I use more than one I use a good PWM fan hub like Swiftech or Silverstone that are powered by PSU with only the PWM and RPM for 1 fan) leads to motherboard. Only potential problem is needing as many hubs as fan curves. :p

·
Administrator
64,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TY-143 are rated 0.6A at full load, obviously that is only at startup. They idle down to 550-600rpm so no noise issues at low speeds, but do become audible about same as others around 900-1000rpm and get progessively louder all the way up to 2500rpm. When I use more than one I use a good PWM fan hub like Swiftech or Silverstone that are powered by PSU with only the PWM and RPM for 1 fan) leads to motherboard. Only potential problem is needing as many hubs as fan curves. :p
Luckily the ROG Zenith comes with a fan header expansion card which has negated the need for a hub which is handy. As per the edit in my last post, not sure if you saw it but I have the NF-A14 Industrial Fans at 3000RPM, 158CFM.

·
Premium Member
27,120 Posts
Luckily the ROG Zenith comes with a fan header expansion card which has negated the need for a hub which is handy. As per the edit in my last post, not sure if you saw it but I have the NF-A14 Industrial Fans at 3000RPM, 158CFM.
Nice! Would love to have a setup like yours, but I don't need that kind of processing power on a daily basis. Reviewing TR4 would be only reason to have one, and there are that many coolers needing a TR4 to test.

Yeah, I missed your NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 bit ... I found/find TY-143/TY-143 SQ sound profile to be nicer than Noctua's. Even on NF-A15 and other Noctua consumer fans .. all TY-14x series have nicer sound than similar Noctua fans. Kinda strange considering their impellers are very much alike. But other than nicer sound the NF-A14iPPC

·
Administrator
64,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice! Would love to have a setup like yours, but I don't need that kind of processing power on a daily basis. Reviewing TR4 would be only reason to have one, and there are that many coolers needing a TR4 to test.

Yeah, I missed your NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-3000 bit ... I found/find TY-143/TY-143 SQ sound profile to be nicer than Noctua's. Even on NF-A15 and other Noctua consumer fans .. all TY-14x series have nicer sound than similar Noctua fans. Kinda strange considering their impellers are very much alike. But other than nicer sound the NF-A14iPPC

I have no experience with the YT-143 So I will take your word for it, I have only really stuck to Noctua as I have always found them to be a quality fan, but you sure do pay for it. I have this system as I do all sorts of multimedia work, but doubles up as my gamer too.

So I was just looking at SIV while running HWBOT X265 Benchmark doing some 4 Encoding and I wanted to check out my readings with you guys as below.

The CRC-0 Tctl & CRC-16 Tctl look rather high, you can see this from the Maximum column from when the bench was running. I did settle this in my head a while ago regarding the CPU offsets etc but that was a while ago and I have since lost that knowledge somewhere lol. What are these readings attributed to, are these REAL CPU temps or something else ?

Thanks !

Attachments

·
Administrator
64,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ahhh do you know what, I re-figured it out Tctl is the irritating offset. I need to go by Tdie as per HWINFO which makes the readouts of both nice and clear. This is my HWINFO after benching below. Sigh of relief lol.

Attachments

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,023 Posts
Well that is interesting. I didn't know about that heatsink. They wouldn't happen to have a MB support list would they?

Thanks Enterprise :)

·
Premium Member
27,120 Posts
Well that is interesting. I didn't know about that heatsink. They wouldn't happen to have a MB support list would they?

Thanks Enterprise :)
I don't think they do, but if you can tell me what motherboard you have I can probably tell you if Silver Arrow TR4 will fit. ;)

1 - 20 of 93 Posts